Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of joe88's message #11300338 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »

joe88
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys for the comments!

Joakim, another very nice set. The last B&W shot is excellent! The crane composition is also very cool!

Edward, you must think I'm repeating myself again, but those ZM50 shots are lovely, full of color and pop! Excellent especially like #1 and 3.. I'm also very impressed by the ZM50P, the rendering is Zeisty! (excuse my use of US spelling for "color"). As for the test shots, I prefer the first one, the second is too yellowish for me. You choose a lighting condition that almost all cameras and software will have difficulties rendering skin tones The thing I like about LR4 is that although not as precise as Photoshop, I can make quick and reversible edits quickly and it works most of the time. For instance in your test shot above, I could just go onto the WB and saturation brush and quickly remove the blue cast on the hair if needed (but the blue does make for a nice hair light accent to match the t-shirt). I could also quickly brush over the pinkish blotches on the face and warm up the WB and make it more green and balance it off.

Douglas, I'll give ISO160 a try this weekend when I have a chance. Pushing in software rather than M9 firmware seems to work better for both noise and color. This recipe might be just what I need for fast shooting in changing light conditions and preserve highlights especially on the Monochrom. As for banding, I've gotten used to it at all ISOs, just part of the quirks of the camera but I'll try Ron's tips and try not to chimp. I normally use my LCD to review histogram for blown highlights but if I can shoot and underexpose, it might help that I don't need to chimp as often.

Here is another test shot from yesterday. This was shot at f/2 not f/2.8, the exif info from LR4 is incorrect.

ISO 800

pushed 2.25 stops in LR4 with no other adjustments

pushed 2.82 stops (almost ISO 5000?). Adjusted for contrast (+75), slight clarity (+3), spot WB adjustments to pinkish skin tone blotches, added slight Umask sharpening. Luminance NR 10pt. Color 50pt. I kept the overall WB setting as in the original ISO 800 shot.

This is quite remarkable, at least for me. It requires some adjustments on some of the skin tones to remove the M9's magenta cast (you can see it on the 2nd picture without adjustments) but I won't mind the effort. In the past, I would have kept the camera in the bag when it exceeded ISO1600 but now I may have options to keep shooting. Granted, I had a 90Cron AA which probably helped to keep the micro contrast and details on the shot? I also used a whibal card to help with initial WB. The lighting was warm CFLs/ incandescent indoors with a mix of diffused lighting from the windows and the back of the kids, not exactly easy to WB but good for a color test. The colors seems really nice and still quite accurate considering this is way above the camera's ISO2500 limit and the mixed lighting. I would have to do more test with other lenses to see how it works. Don't want to be fooled by the magic dust of the 90Cron AA

Edit: I accidentally deleted the pic on my hosting site. All three pics show show up now.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:27 PM
joe88

Joakim, another very nice set. The last B&W shot is excellent! The crane composition is also very cool!

Edward, you must think I'm repeating myself again, but those ZM50 shots are lovely, full of color and pop! Excellent especially like #1 and 3.. I'm also very impressed by the ZM50P, the rendering is Zeisty! (excuse my use of US spelling for "color"). As for the test shots, I prefer the first one, the second is too yellowish for me. You choose a lighting condition that almost all cameras and software will have difficulties rendering skin tones The thing I like about LR4 is that although not as precise as Photoshop, I can make quick and reversible edits quickly and it works most of the time. For instance in your test shot above, I could just go onto the WB and saturation brush and quickly remove the blue cast on the hair if needed (but the blue does make for a nice hair light accent to match the t-shirt). I could also quickly brush over the pinkish blotches on the face and warm up the WB and make it more green and balance it off.

Douglas, I'll give ISO160 a try this weekend when I have a chance. Pushing in software rather than M9 firmware seems to work better for both noise and color. This recipe might be just what I need for fast shooting in changing light conditions and preserve highlights especially on the Monochrom. As for banding, I've gotten used to it at all ISOs, just part of the quirks of the camera but I'll try Ron's tips and try not to chimp. I normally use my LCD to review histogram for blown highlights but if I can shoot and underexpose, it might help that I don't need to chimp as often.

Here is another test shot from yesterday. This was shot at f/2 not f/2.8, the exif info from LR4 is incorrect.

ISO 800

pushed 2.82 stops (almost ISO 5000?). Adjusted for contrast (+75), slight clarity (+3), spot WB adjustments to pinkish skin tone blotches, added slight Umask sharpening. Luminance NR 10pt. Color 50pt. I kept the overall WB setting as in the original ISO 800 shot.

This is quite remarkable, at least for me. It requires some adjustments on some of the skin tones to remove the M9's magenta cast (you can see it on the 2nd picture without adjustments) but I won't mind the effort. In the past, I would have kept the camera in the bag when it exceeded ISO1600 but now I may have options to keep shooting. Granted, I had a 90Cron AA which probably helped to keep the micro contrast and details on the shot? I also used a whibal card to help with initial WB. The lighting was warm CFLs/ incandescent indoors with a mix of diffused lighting from the windows and the back of the kids, not exactly easy to WB but good for a color test. The colors seems really nice and still quite accurate considering this is way above the camera's ISO2500 limit and the mixed lighting. I would have to do more test with other lenses to see how it works. Don't want to be fooled by the magic dust of the 90Cron AA

Edit: I accidentally deleted the pic on my hosting site. All three pics show show up now.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM
joe88

ISO 800

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:20 PM

Previous versions of joe88's message #11300338 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »