Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              627      
       629              1015       1016       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.628 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

carstenw wrote:
Are you talking about the same Camera? Ron said 1D and you said 1Ds...

Oops! Yeah you're right Carsten. The 1Ds has a CMOS sensor too

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.628 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward. BTW, Have you tried to make corrections to skin tones with the LR4 white balance brush? I use it sometimes especially in mixed lighting or when I lift shadow details. Sometimes can be useful for a fast and quick adjustment.

Edwin, superb set with the 75Lux!. Really excellent shots.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.628 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yeah, the choice of digital can get overwhelming. Like Edward, I like to figure out my main color signature and leave it there.

The M9 handles color differently than other digital cameras that I've used in the past, and I'm still trying to get a handle on it. Below is one of my throwaway shots with Adobe's Standard profile (using a medium tone curve,) then VSCO's Portra 400NC film simulation, and, finally, my version combining different elements that I like from both of those settings, along with my own tweaks. Pic is from 50/2 collapsible on M9:

Adobe Standard:

VSCO Portra 400NC:

My recipe (work in progress):

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.628 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Cute kid, your "work in progress profile" looks more dimensional than the VSCO profile.

90 Cron E55:

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.628 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jabberwockt wrote:
Cute kid, your "work in progress profile" looks more dimensional than the VSCO profile.

Thanks. He had a little bit of a rash on his face that day, so I probably shouldn't have posted that pic, but I thought it'd be good for a skin tone comparison. My "work in progress" profile is about 1/3 Adobe Standard Profile, 1/3 VSCO (really just the color settings, which I tweaked further,) and 1/3 my own settings. The toughest thing with the M9 is the over the top magenta, especially in tungsten light, but I'm getting there.

Nice 90 Cron shot. That lens has an interesting signature, from what I've seen.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.628 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Douglas, cute shot! Hope your son has recovered? Both the VSCO and your preset looks good. I can't really tell the difference.

Jabberwockt, nice shot! The 90Cron pre ASPH is a very nice classic lens.

----
BTW, I have to thank Douglas for the info on the ISOless shooting tip. I haven't been following the talk on this shooting method but I tried some shots today at my son's preschool concert. It was darker than expected and I forgot the flash. The lighting needed an exposure of between ISO3200 and 4000 according to the meter on my Sony RX1 but I needed some reach so that I was not the center of attention instead of the kids This sample shot was set at ISO1250 and pushed +1.11 in LR4 with 0 luminance NR and 25 color NR. What do you think? I think my M9 just got a new lease of life I have a few other shots set at ISO800 and pushed 2 stops in LR4 (3200?) and it still looked better than my older shots at ISO2500.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:06 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.628 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Looks good, Joe. You might try maxing it out at ISO 640, and pushing from there, if the darker image review on the LCD screen doesn't bother you. I was doing that for a while, and it seems better than ISO 1250, although now I'm taking it all the way and just keeping the camera set to ISO 160 (unless I absolutely need a good image review on camera.) Even at ISO 160, Lightroom allows me to push to the equivalent of ISO 5000.

BTW, FWIW, in terms of banding, I noticed today that, when I shot a quick sequence of 4 shots in lowlight, the first two were fine, and the second two had noticeable banding. I think some of the theories about banding being caused when the camera is writing to the buffer may be true.

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:35 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.628 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice job with the profile Douglas. Skin tones look very nice. Cute kid too

Joe, I haven't tried the WB brush in LR. Honestly I rarely use LR because I can't get myself to like it. Most often, I use ACR in PSE 11. Very nice shot of your son's concert. The mom of the little girl on the left won't be very happy though

Jan 26, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.628 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, cute picture of those kids, the preasph90 has a classic kind of rendering, it has some "flaws" that i think most would either love or hate. I wouldnt mind trying the new version one of these days though.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:03 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.628 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
BTW, FWIW, in terms of banding, I noticed today that, when I shot a quick sequence of 4 shots in lowlight, the first two were fine, and the second two had noticeable banding. I think some of the theories about banding being caused when the camera is writing to the buffer may be true.

This is something I've been able to induce repeatedly and consistently in testing with my M9, therefore it's not a theory to me. A key factor seem to be not to review images while the buffer is still writing. Also, the buffer clears faster if the camera is not set to RAW+Jpeg. I had it set to that so I would immediately have a Jpeg file on hand for faster computer browsing and editing - not having to wait for previews to be built. But I abandoned that for the shorter buffer write time of RAW only. The banding will be more apparent in low light images because they're often pretty dark and at higher ISOs where the banding can be a bit more apparent. But I've also had banding become noticeable at ISO 160 when lifting shadows considerably.

FWIW, the image posted on the previous page (sorry for the repost):

It had extremely bad banding along the bottom 10-15% of the frame that I had to crop out to salvage the image. And the banding appeared in all of the images in the sequence… but not in any other sequences on that card from that day. It makes me wonder if there could be RF interference issues at play from external sources?

Joe - looks good. I'll have to experiment with this as well. While browsing the DXO site a while ago and looking at their M9 results, it's interesting to note that each stop increase in ISO results in a stop loss of dynamic range. Therefore, there appears to be little or no difference, on paper, between shooting at ISO 160 and pushing four stops in post and setting the camera to ISO 2500. The difference in reality might boil down to which one is better or more sophisticated: exposure boost from a modern RAW converter such as LR4 or the camera's internal process?

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.628 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

In usage, I've found that pushing in LR4 looks slightly better than in camera, and a guy on the Leica forum tested and measured the noise to be lower, too. The beauty is that, as raw converters get better, so will this technique. The bad part is that you're often left with a less than ideal image preview on camera.

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:33 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.628 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Back to adobe vs embedded, as I mentioned earlier, under normal lighting, the differences are very minimal, but I would like to show a shot under strange very warm fluorescent lighting. The 2 profiles produced very dramatically different interpretations that are (to me) impossible to match with the usual WB sliders. I gave the guy the adobe version, but personally prefer the embedded.

M9 - ZM 50/2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:40 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.628 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

And 2 shots from this afternoon with the Planar:

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:42 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.628 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Two more:

Jan 26, 2013 at 09:01 AM
joakim
• • •
p.628 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, nice film shots. They certainly have a different color than digital. The pushed M9 example is interesting as well and looks quite good in my opinion, I think I need to try this out myself some more.
Edward, nice photos with the 50 Planar. Favorites are the first of the last set and the one with the barbed wire.
Jabberwockt, nice photo with an interesting lens.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
joakim
• • •
p.628 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some cold photos from a cold Stockholm.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.628 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sheesh Edward....you may force me to re-evaluate my feelings towards Leica! Nice work.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:29 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.628 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys for the comments!

Joakim, another very nice set. The last B&W shot is excellent! The crane composition is also very cool!

Edward, you must think I'm repeating myself again, but those ZM50 shots are lovely, full of color and pop! Excellent especially like #1 and 3.. I'm also very impressed by the ZM50P, the rendering is Zeisty! (excuse my use of US spelling for "color"). As for the test shots, I prefer the first one, the second is too yellowish for me. You choose a lighting condition that almost all cameras and software will have difficulties rendering skin tones The thing I like about LR4 is that although not as precise as Photoshop, I can make quick and reversible edits quickly and it works most of the time. For instance in your test shot above, I could just go onto the WB and saturation brush and quickly remove the blue cast on the hair if needed (but the blue does make for a nice hair light accent to match the t-shirt). I could also quickly brush over the pinkish blotches on the face and warm up the WB and make it more green and balance it off.

Douglas, I'll give ISO160 a try this weekend when I have a chance. Pushing in software rather than M9 firmware seems to work better for both noise and color. This recipe might be just what I need for fast shooting in changing light conditions and preserve highlights especially on the Monochrom. As for banding, I've gotten used to it at all ISOs, just part of the quirks of the camera but I'll try Ron's tips and try not to chimp. I normally use my LCD to review histogram for blown highlights but if I can shoot and underexpose, it might help that I don't need to chimp as often.

Here is another test shot from yesterday. This was shot at f/2 not f/2.8, the exif info from LR4 is incorrect.

ISO 800

pushed 2.25 stops in LR4 with no other adjustments

pushed 2.82 stops (almost ISO 5000?). Adjusted for contrast (+75), slight clarity (+3), spot WB adjustments to pinkish skin tone blotches, added slight Umask sharpening. Luminance NR 10pt. Color 50pt. I kept the overall WB setting as in the original ISO 800 shot.

This is quite remarkable, at least for me. It requires some adjustments on some of the skin tones to remove the M9's magenta cast (you can see it on the 2nd picture without adjustments) but I won't mind the effort. In the past, I would have kept the camera in the bag when it exceeded ISO1600 but now I may have options to keep shooting. Granted, I had a 90Cron AA which probably helped to keep the micro contrast and details on the shot? I also used a whibal card to help with initial WB. The lighting was warm CFLs/ incandescent indoors with a mix of diffused lighting from the windows and the back of the kids, not exactly easy to WB but good for a color test. The colors seems really nice and still quite accurate considering this is way above the camera's ISO2500 limit and the mixed lighting. I would have to do more test with other lenses to see how it works. Don't want to be fooled by the magic dust of the 90Cron AA

Edit: I accidentally deleted the pic on my hosting site. All three pics show show up now.

Edited on Jan 26, 2013 at 03:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:20 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.628 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yeah, it seems that both chimping and/or shooting a few shots in succession can lead to banding, so, in low light, I'm trying not to shoot more than two shots back to back until the camera is done working.

I've really been liking the freedom of shooting at only ISO 160, as its like pushing film, but I'm able to push every pic instead of every roll. Granted, if you're a high volume shooter, you may not want to deal with a bunch of black pics in Lightroom that all need adjusting. You're right about highlights, Joe. I barely have to worry about them, except when shooting in lots of light.

I'm sure this "ISO-less" thing (a misleading term) isn't for everyone, but I dig it.

p.s. I should mention that I shoot uncompressed raw. A guy on the Leica forum tested this for compressed, and it worked, but not quite as well. I haven't tried it myself with compressed raw, so I don't know.

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.628 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much for your comments Joakim, RM, Joe.

Joakim, beautiful set that really conveys the cold. Well executed.
RM, I assure you it's not my abilities, but the combination of the M9 CCD and the rendering of the Zeiss lenses.
Joe, thanks for the tips. I should try them asap. Of course I purposefully selected an image with a challenging unusual light source, just to show how the same converter interpolated the pixels differently according to the profile. As for the Planar, definitely a great performer. Unfortunately innever owned any Leica lens to compare it to, but I'm pretty happy with it. Another very nice shot by the way

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password