Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of StillFingerz's message #11244323 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »

StillFingerz
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests!

Fred Miranda wrote:
timbop wrote:
Roger - quick question about the "macro" mode. It reduces minimum FD to 2" from the front element, but what's the max working distance? That is, is focus fixed or do you have room to maneuver (with the obvious reduction in magnification)?

I was wondering about this as well...Perhaps Roger can chime in.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
Fixing barrel distortion in post, reduces resolution even further and that is reason enough for some to upgrade.

It turns out that this concern is vastly over-rated, and that barrel distortion and other similar sorts of lens distortions can be corrected in post with typically no visible degradation of the image.
Dan

My point was that when looking at Roger numbers, photographers should keep in mind that after correcting 3x more barrel distortion, the "edge" numbers for the 24-105L would be even lower. It also bothers me to carefully compose an image in LV and loose parts of the edge after distortion correction in post.

To me, Canon had to decide if a highly corrected 24mm focal length was more important then the extra reach. These tests gave us the answer.

+1 Fred, thanks for the 'back on topic' logic/post.

@ Gunz, it's the small size, lighter weight of this new 24-70 that excites...and you just can't beat the extra distortion correction. My 24-85 is really a gem, very hand-holdable; easy to carry and getting the benefits of an L design will be helpful. With the new hybrid IS this new lens will really help this cripple's often shaky hands...tho I doubt seriously my disabled 'behind' was a factor in it's design

Bravo Canon for giving us another, very usable choice.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:42 PM

Previous versions of StillFingerz's message #11244323 « Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS Resolution Tests! »