Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11229508 « Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use. »

Bifurcator
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use.

That seems about right for this lens. Note top/left of this 100% crop. I've used the various 14-45/14-42 models and they're not very good IMO. Stopped down they can be sharp but they're pretty characterless and bland. I guess that's typical of a kit lens. OTOH if you will notice, most ummm, like 90% of the interesting shots IQ-wise, posted here and on some of the other sites are achieved using manual focus alt glass. There are a couple of excellent 4/3 native lenses but only a couple! And with our small 4/3 sensors we need all the help we can get. If you're backpacking (as shown) and wanna keep things light then there's a 20mm that's worth getting. The Panasonic 7-14 can produce interesting results but I wouldn't call it an excellent lens - especially not when it's attached to a non-panasonic body. On the long end there's the Oly 75mm at 1.8 I think it is. At first I thought it was a loser too but recently I've seen that it's really not. It of course isn't as good as the less expensive Zeiss C/Y 85mm f/1.4 but I guess it's lighter weight. In the 35mm to 58mm range there's so many excellent alt lenses to choose from and most of them are under $100. The two native 4/3 Cosina made Voigtlander lenses (17.5mm and 25mm at f/0.9) are probably excellent - I've seen excellent results from them anyway... So, that's my advice: Grab the few good native lenses that do exist and/or get some nice alt lenses. You will be much happier with the performance of your OM-D that way.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM

Previous versions of Bifurcator's message #11229508 « Just one of those dilemas. 7D vs OM-D for specific use. »