Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of edwardkaraa's message #11185785 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »

edwardkaraa
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hi Matt! Thank you so much for your (undeserved) compliments!

I always shoot with the lens profiles off. The 35 doesn't need any correction and the 25 may need it occasionally depending on the scene, but I prefer to leave the images uncorrected 99% of the time.

I have done some successful corrections on the 25 and 18 using Cornerfix and some excellent profiles kindly provided by thrice. It seems the new LR plugin is even better but I haven't tried it yet. Also Leica claims that the sensor of the new M does not need any correction for wides, of course remains to be seen if Leica was overly optimistic with this claim.

In case you want to use the camera lens profiles, it is recommended by Zeiss to use the 24/2.8 asph or 28/2.8 asph for the 25. I found them both to be good but they remove the vignetting entirely, which I don't like at all. The 35 doesn't need correction but again as per Zeiss recommendation, you can use the profiles of 35/2 and 28/2.8 asph for the 35.

Hope to see you on this thread soon! The M9 is a great camera and the GXR is definitely no match for it.

uscmatt99 wrote:
Edward,

I've been quietly tracking your posts on this thread, your photos have been awesome. The work from others is of course excellent as well, but there is relatively less volume on this thread from ZM glass. You may have explained it before, but briefly, how much post-processing work do you need to do for corner color correction with the ZM25 and ZM35? Did you manually 6-bit code the lenses? Ideally I'd like to be able to avoid worrying about corner color shift and just do my normal adjustments in Lightroom 4.

I'll eventually be selling the bulk of my ZF and CV F-mount glass for a move to the M9 or new M. It's been fun shooting these M-mount lenses on the GXR, but it's made me yearn for an optical viewfinder. Hope to join in on this thread next year sometime.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:22 PM
edwardkaraa
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hi Matt! Thank you so much for your (undeserved) compliments!

I always shoot with the lens profiles off. The 35 doesn't need any correction and the 25 may need it occasionally depending on the scene, but I prefer to leave the images uncorrected 99% of the time.

I have done some successful corrections on the 25 and 18 using Cornerfix and some excellent profiles kindly provided by thrice. It seems the new LR plugin is even better but I haven't tried it yet. Also Leica claims that the sensor of the new M does not need any correction for wides, of course remains to be seen if Leica was overly optimistic with this claim.

In case you want to use the camera lens profiles, it is recommended by Zeiss to use the 24/2.8 asph or 28/2.8 asph for the 25. I found them both to be good but they remove the vignetting entirely, which I don't like at all. The 35 doesn't need correction but again as per Zeiss recommendation, you can use the profiles of 35/2 and 28/2 asph for the 35.

Hope to see you on this thread soon! The M9 is a great camera and the GXR is definitely no match for it.

uscmatt99 wrote:
Edward,

I've been quietly tracking your posts on this thread, your photos have been awesome. The work from others is of course excellent as well, but there is relatively less volume on this thread from ZM glass. You may have explained it before, but briefly, how much post-processing work do you need to do for corner color correction with the ZM25 and ZM35? Did you manually 6-bit code the lenses? Ideally I'd like to be able to avoid worrying about corner color shift and just do my normal adjustments in Lightroom 4.

I'll eventually be selling the bulk of my ZF and CV F-mount glass for a move to the M9 or new M. It's been fun shooting these M-mount lenses on the GXR, but it's made me yearn for an optical viewfinder. Hope to join in on this thread next year sometime.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:10 PM

Previous versions of edwardkaraa's message #11185785 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »