Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              603      
       605              1061       1062       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.604 #1 · p.604 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments guys!

Edward, this is far up north and right now is the darkest time of the year with not much more than 6 hours of daylight. So if you work a full day there is a big chance you get to work before the sun is up and that it has gone down before you go home. On the other side if it's a weekend then you can sleep late and still be able to catch the sun rise then grab a lunch and it's time to photograph in the sunset, now that can give you some efficient landscape photography

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:06 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.604 #2 · p.604 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Now that's an interesting way to think about it, Joakim!
Allen, love the first and third!
Ryan, I think I like this version better.

zhangyue wrote:
Not yet, he ask for $1800 for 80-200 make me hesitate even ask 21-35mm. I like what I see from Leica R lens very much. mainly the rendering in color and in/out of focus transition. The price might keep rising, but for those good stuff like X0lux and APO, they are already gone pretty high. I don't expect them to go further much. I guess, if you patient, you can always get good price sometime, somewhere How about some long APO like 180 f2, 280 f4

TBH, I already own the Canon 400/2.8 IS and 600/4 IS... Maybe the Leica R teles really are special... supposedly the 280/4 is... but for what I would use them for, I'd really want AF. The 180/3.4 is more out of curiosity to compare against the 70-200/4 IS, but also to give me a longer lens option on the GXR (or maybe a NEX-6) and at some point in the future, on the M. I suppose if I added a NEX I could get the Metabones AF adapter and just use my EF lenses on it...

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:02 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.604 #3 · p.604 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim, thanks for the explanation. It would be very depressing for me to go to work and come back when it's dark. On the other hand, I have not seen any sunrise for many many years

Biogon 25

Biogon 35

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.604 #4 · p.604 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,

I've been quietly tracking your posts on this thread, your photos have been awesome. The work from others is of course excellent as well, but there is relatively less volume on this thread from ZM glass. You may have explained it before, but briefly, how much post-processing work do you need to do for corner color correction with the ZM25 and ZM35? Did you manually 6-bit code the lenses? Ideally I'd like to be able to avoid worrying about corner color shift and just do my normal adjustments in Lightroom 4.

I'll eventually be selling the bulk of my ZF and CV F-mount glass for a move to the M9 or new M. It's been fun shooting these M-mount lenses on the GXR, but it's made me yearn for an optical viewfinder. Hope to join in on this thread next year sometime.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:03 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.604 #5 · p.604 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, Edward.

Allen, another nice set with the MM. Like the expression captured in #1.
Edward, more nice shots with the ZM lenses. I envy you, not needing to see the sunrise! Just curious, have you or Charles ever met on the streets of Bangkok with your Leicas?
Charles, I agree, the MM seems to be a different beast altogether, in a good way.

----
So last night while trying to reason out options for a 50mm M lens, I saw a RX1 in stock at B&H and my left side short circuited My (poor?) reasoning is that 35mm FL is what I mostly shoot and the Rx1 could just be made for me (excuses). Lets see if a RX1 can be a cheaper replacement to the new Leica M, in which case I will keep my current M9 and supplement it with the Rx-1 for high ISO and some video work. I have been looking at many of my M9 shots and prints and I still think its a great camera with superb IQ, especially if high ISO is not needed. It will be painful to part with the M9 but financially I really can't justify keeping 3 digital M bodies. I'll see if I have some time to make some comparison shots when it arrives later this week.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:26 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.604 #6 · p.604 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Matt! Thank you so much for your (undeserved) compliments!

I always shoot with the lens profiles off. The 35 doesn't need any correction and the 25 may need it occasionally depending on the scene, but I prefer to leave the images uncorrected 99% of the time.

I have done some successful corrections on the 25 and 18 using Cornerfix and some excellent profiles kindly provided by thrice. It seems the new LR plugin is even better but I haven't tried it yet. Also Leica claims that the sensor of the new M does not need any correction for wides, of course remains to be seen if Leica was overly optimistic with this claim.

In case you want to use the camera lens profiles, it is recommended by Zeiss to use the 24/2.8 asph or 28/2.8 asph for the 25. I found them both to be good but they remove the vignetting entirely, which I don't like at all. The 35 doesn't need correction but again as per Zeiss recommendation, you can use the profiles of 28/2 and 28/2.8 asph for the 35.

Hope to see you on this thread soon! The M9 is a great camera and the GXR is definitely no match for it.

uscmatt99 wrote:
Edward,

I've been quietly tracking your posts on this thread, your photos have been awesome. The work from others is of course excellent as well, but there is relatively less volume on this thread from ZM glass. You may have explained it before, but briefly, how much post-processing work do you need to do for corner color correction with the ZM25 and ZM35? Did you manually 6-bit code the lenses? Ideally I'd like to be able to avoid worrying about corner color shift and just do my normal adjustments in Lightroom 4.

I'll eventually be selling the bulk of my ZF and
...Show more

Edited on Dec 12, 2012 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:10 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.604 #7 · p.604 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Edward, more nice shots with the ZM lenses. I envy you, not needing to see the sunrise! Just curious, have you or Charles ever met on the streets of Bangkok with your Leicas?

Thank you very much Joe! In fact, it's not that I don't need to see the sunrise, it just happens way before I normally wake up

Perhaps I should move to Stockholm

It would be really nice to meet with Charles sometime. I know he comes to Bangkok quite often.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:19 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.604 #8 · p.604 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward! I could have the M9 now with some flipping, but won't have much opportunity to use it as it should be used during the winter months here anyway. Not to mention the arrival of a newborn in a couple months. Indoor kid pics mean DSLR, AF, and flash.... I'll probably wait and see how the new M performs with my lenses before committing. Fortunately it sounds like I can't lose either way. I'll continue to live vicariously through this thread

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:48 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.604 #9 · p.604 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Thanks Joakim, Michael

So, you're part of the reason R lenses prices are going up? Which lenses do you have now?

Sorry Joe. Forget answer you these, I have 50lux R v1 and 35cron R E55 and 50cron R E55. 50lux is very good WO, the same with 50Cron, but I think those two has average mid-distance Bokeh just like my 50cron rigid. 35cron is very sharp WO at center, it has most beautiful Bokeh from any 35mm I have used, Which I believe it is really good for Video. I might add 35 and 80lux depend on my luck

Ron wrote:
Actually, I think most 50s suffer from this due to the basic optics of this focal length, as I've also seen it from the 50 Lux ASPH, though somewhat less than the Planar.

That is a very interesting observation. I have the same problem with my 50cron Rigid in many case. My problem mainly happen at center, part of image just wash out. (I haven't seen from 50lux) I thought that is just old lens problem or chrome finish?. but your sample show is not the case. I wonder it has something to do with M flange distance. I never seen anything like that from my DSLR 50mm.

Thanks for comments! all.

Airfrog, 2nd is my favorite. interesting lighting.
Edward, Vignette add special effect to 2nd one.

Some more form Qingdao

35cron V1

50cron Rigid

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:23 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.604 #10 · p.604 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, wonderful shots! Love the composition of shot #1 We must make a time to meet! I will be in Bangkok within the next 8 weeks again.
Michael, very nice set! I really like the composition of the last shot
Joe, I have the same problem, I may also have a Sony RX-1 next week. I had not planned it all, but it became available, so it will replace the RX 100... maybe

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.604 #11 · p.604 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I will be really interested to see how some of you make out with the RX-1. Looks to be a great little camera.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:41 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.604 #12 · p.604 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I would seriously consider the RX1 if it had a built in EVF. Full frame, fast 35mm and super close MFD.

MM+ 21 Lux:

L1002251 by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 90 APO:

Earl! by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + Noct, eyeball scale focusing while holding the camera at arms length:

L1002293-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:36 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.604 #13 · p.604 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Matt, good luck with your decision! It would be great if you can put your hands on a typ 240 early sample

Zhangyue, exactly! I love vignetting and I find that on most photos it does add something. Too bad the Leica profiles remove the vignetting, because I would be more than happy with just color shift removal.

Charles, thanks for the nice comments! It would be a great pleasure to meet you. I will be travelling abroad from Dec 22 until Jan 4 otherwise any time should be good.

Ryan, very nice set!

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:38 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.604 #14 · p.604 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uscmatt99 wrote:
I could have the M9 now with some flipping, but won't have much opportunity to use it as it should be used during the winter months here anyway. Not to mention the arrival of a newborn in a couple months. Indoor kid pics mean DSLR, AF, and flash....

Congrats in advance of the newborn! I agree, the M setup is not exactly newborn friendly, especially in the winter months.

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:28 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.604 #15 · p.604 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryankarr, some really nice shots with the MM, especially the last one with the Nocti. Excellent set of lenses to boot!

Michael, I'm probably looking at a 60Macro for now. The other lenses do seem tempting, especially the 80Lux and the other longer lenses. Another nice set with the 35CronV1. Love the rendering on this lens, especially on #3.

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:32 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.604 #16 · p.604 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 + 50 Summicron V:

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:44 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.604 #17 · p.604 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments! Charles and Joe.
Joe, I almost bought a 60mm from Ebay but lots of haze, I returned it. Given I have 50lux and 50xron R now. 60 has to wait even technically the best one.

Ryan, 90AA? I really like the last set of 50 0.95, the effect is very dramatic.
Douglas, nice abstract!

Here is 35cron shot, nothing special but want to show you guys the 40 year old lens still capable do landscape:

close to 100% crop you can see slightly motion blur, but sharpness is there. EXIF show f5.7, it might f8, I don't know anymore.

that is why I like Ken Rockwell, he is the only one post review of old leica lens without fee. He may not a good photographer, but certainly know a thing or two about lens. His view on lens is very objective. I can't agree with his view about summarit line though, I handle those in local shop recently, feel they are build almost as good as any leica lens with a level above VC and zeiss.

The above post make me realize that flick resize even change my color. I am sure they suppose to be the same. 2nd one is close to what I did and there is almost not resize going.

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:59 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.604 #18 · p.604 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, I wish that I had more time to reciprocate. Anyway, more Beijing, WATE and the Noctilux.

Andrew

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:31 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.604 #19 · p.604 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew, I feel these are best from your Beijing set. 1 and 4 really worked for me.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:37 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.604 #20 · p.604 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Douglas, beautiful composition with the diagonals and play on the reflections. I like the muted color pallate as well.
Michael, that 35CronV1 seems too sharp, and it draws beautifully!
Andrew, excellent shots with the WATE and Nocti. The WATE draws beautifully at 16mm, especially on 1, 2, &3. Really nice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password