Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11159867 « From yesterday morning »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: From yesterday morning

Mister Bean wrote:
what typically took more time was discussion of the interpretation of the work - the viewer's interpretation of the artist's intent, the artist describing their intent, the feelings evoked, symbols in the work, the value of the work, etc.

A couple reasons for this come to mind.

"What's the point?" or "What is the message that you want to convey to your viewer?"

While I have advocated those questions to OP's for quite some time ... I think that some of the images that are presented here, the OP themselves haven't even begun to embark on the mindful aspects of the artist's intent. When the creator of the image doesn't know his intent ... it's kinda hard to discuss the deeper philosophical aspects of the message contained therein.

There will always be both parts of technical & message ... with, imo, technicals & reworks should be driven by the intent of the image / message. For many, they simply want to be able to produce an aesthetically pleasing image to garner "Look what I did." response. Images that are being created with an intended message are somewhat more rare in regard to "Here's what I'm trying to say." or "Here are some things to think about."

I am inclined to believe that as technology has prolifically expanded the ease of our craft, many have become "lazy" in their aspirations to use it as means for conveying a message and largely have abandoned it as such, simply aspiring to use it to either emulate others or garner the "ooh & ahh" ... prior to utilizing images as a means for message delivery.

Taking that same concept into a different art form, today's quilters make amazingly detailed "pretty quilts" ... whereas there was a time that quilts were a very strong combination of "art" and "message" ... often telling the message of family, heritage, history, emotion & feeling. I think that the blending of art and message is well represented in the quilts that were made to provide directions in concert with the "underground railroad" or as families made "double wedding ring" quilts as wedding gifts for bride & groom. Very different messages, interwoven into the craft, yet there was still a point / message instilled among its creation.

Whether it be quilts, photographs or any other art form ... without a point or message, it often times just falls into the category of something pretty ... and for the masses, that's often what they are looking for ... others aspire for more.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:42 PM
RustyBug

Mister Bean wrote:
what typically took more time was discussion of the interpretation of the work - the viewer's interpretation of the artist's intent, the artist describing their intent, the feelings evoked, symbols in the work, the value of the work, etc.

"What's the point?" or "What is the message that you want to convey to your viewer?"

While I have advocated those questions to OP's for quite some time ... I think that some of the images that are presented here, the OP themselves haven't even begun to embark on the mindful aspects of the artist's intent. When the creator of the image doesn't know his intent ... it's kinda hard to discuss to deeper philosophical aspects of the message contained therein.

There will always be both parts of technical & message ... with, imo, technicals & reworks should be driven by the intent of the image / message. For many, they simply want to be able to produce an aesthetically pleasing image to garner "Look what I did." response. Images that are being created with an intended message are somewhat more rare in regard to "Here's what I'm trying to say." or "Here are some things to think about."

I am inclined to believe that as technology has prolifically expanded the ease of our craft, many have become "lazy" in their aspirations to use it as means for conveying a message and largely have abandoned it as such, simply aspiring to use it to either emulate others or garner the "ooh & ahh" ... prior to utilizing images as a means for message delivery.

Taking that same concept into a different art form, today's quilters make amazingly detailed "pretty quilts" ... whereas there was a time that quilts were a very strong combination of "art" and "message" ... often telling the message of family, heritage, history, emotion & feeling. I think that the blending of art and message is well represented in the quilts that were made to provide directions in concert with the "underground railroad" or as families made "double wedding ring" quilts as wedding gifts for bride & groom. Very different messages, interwoven into the craft, yet there was still a point / message instilled among its creation.

Whether it be quilts, photographs or any other art form ... without a point or message, it often times just falls into the category of something pretty ... and for the masses, that's often what they are looking for ... others aspire for more.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug

Mister Bean wrote:

While I have advocated those questions to OP's for quite some time ... I think that some of the images that are presented here, the OP themselves haven't even begun to embark on the mindful aspects of the artist's intent. When the creator of the image doesn't know his intent ... it's kinda hard to discuss to deeper philosophical aspects of the message contained therein.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug

Mister Bean wrote:

Whether it be quilts, photographs or any other art form ... without a point or message, it often times just falls into the category of something pretty ... and for many, that's what they are looking for ... others aspire for more.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:29 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11159867 « From yesterday morning »