Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Kibsgaard's message #11052786 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »

Kibsgaard
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

michaelwatkins wrote:
A couple of first impressions reviews from photographers participating in last week's Sony event:

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/sony-rx1-review

That site still hasn't enabled my new user submission so I can ask them about the camera being unforgiving, but in the short article the author touches on that:

Even though the lens is super sharp even at f/2.0 and the bokeh is creamy delicious, the depth-of-field is wicked shallow so you’d best stop down a bit if you want anything to be in focus. If you’re primarily an APS-C shooter like me, the shallow full-frame depth-of-field takes a little getting used to and you’re likely to end up with a whole bunch of images that should have been stopped down a couple of stops. Actually, one of the most important things you need to know about the RX1 is that it’s extremely unforgiving – especially if you’re shooting JPEGs. The sharpness, shallow depth-of-field and highlight clipping are vicious. The sharpness and depth-of-field are a two edged sword because they’re also part of what makes the RX1 a great camera. Make sure you use them wisely.

Thank you- of course the issue with the shallow DOF is just lack of experience, but it will be interesting if the issue=highlight clipping is because of not so fine exposure "in camera" or it has something to do with the lack of 1/8000 sec. ?

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/10/19/extended-first-impressions-sony-rx-1/

JPEG only samples are getting tedious. I wonder when ACR / Lightroom might get updated to include raw support for the RX1?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Previous versions of Kibsgaard's message #11052786 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »