Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of JimmyChoo's message #11015210 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

JimmyChoo
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi floks, I have been a silent lurker on this thread for a long time. I find you folks here to be a friendly lot, courteous and pleasant to each other that I am attracted to join in the fun if I may.

I have learned a few things from here alone, like what are the good MF lenses and which are not. I don't know whether to blame you all here or say that you inspired me to add more to my very old collection of MF lenses .

Two weeks ago I acquired a pristine 28mm f2.8 ais and have been very pleased with it. The images are really sharp and contrasty. It is so easy to use as a walk around lens. With a small aperture like f8 the DOF is from <2 metres to infinity; and I can use it like a fixed focus lens.

And a few days after the 28mm, a 180mm f2.8 ED ais arrived! A quick test of the 180 proved it to be very good and there was no need to send it back. A week after the 180mm, I saw an ad for another 28mm f2.8 ais but with Super Integrated Coating. It had a serial number 82xxxx proving the SIC. Needless to say I had to get it. Now I have it; and I am torn between the two 28mm lenses, but I know (I know!) I will have to let go of the first one. Unless someone can convince me that there is not much difference in image quality between the two, then I'll keep the first one because it looks better and is pristine cosmetically. We easily get taken in by looks.

In the last few days I found myself looking at the 200mm f4 AI and AIS. And while writing this I am texting with a guy dealing to buy from him his 200mm lens! I must be going crazy! I keep telling myself that I already have the 180mm and therefore do not need a 200mm lens. On top of which I haven't even put the 180 through its paces yet. But I am tempted because the 200mm is in condition 9/10 and the price is ONLY about USD122. Should I get it? "Don't you get it?" That's what my wife will say. And she would be right as I already have the 180mm.

Before I go off to think about the 200mm, here's a recent shot with my 105mmf2.5 AI'd:

D800 f5.6 1/500s iso100

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Previous versions of JimmyChoo's message #11015210 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »