Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10944782 « The wave, a picture story »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: The wave, a picture story

Hey Ben,

I used to go out to Sunset Cliffs in San Diego probably 2 or 3 times a week for months on end. I would arrive 2 hours before sunset and stay till an hour after. Lord only knows how many of these kinds of shots I would watch & wait on studying the surf/break to try and capture everything from the powerful surge, to the illuminated misty spray to the gentle milky flow as the water returned to where it came. Always aspiring for the perfect amount of illumination and interesting, but not overpowering background lighting, etc. I could sit out there for hours ... into the night at times, just watching and envisioning how to capture what I had in my minds eye ... as mesmerizing as the "Call of the Siren"

FE, trusty tripod and chrome film always ready for an evening at the "Cliffs" ... but for me it was more about watching and thinking because my budget only allowed for about two rolls of film a week (young sailor).

WARNING: Geek engineer alert ahead.
I find it interesting to notice the difference in the "split second" between the two time stamps. The first one has not yet reached full spray and it feels more "raw power" (potential energy) to me, while the second one feels more "peak action" (kinetic energy). Not that either is better or worse than the other ... but just to observe your point @ variables beyond our control (i.e. partial luck as we prepare to make our own to the degree possible).

Getting "on topic" ... it is good to see you "stretch" yourself, but do so only as it fits you. My main point @ all this has been that even as a "purist" with chrome ... the "film of choice" profile would have dictated how the colors (sat/hue/contrast/gamma) would render. In that I could have just as easily chosen to shoot Ektachrome vs. Fujichrome for my style & taste ... you too have the preferential options to choose your processing profile to your style & taste. Putting your style and taste in the digital realm is no different than choosing to load your FE with one film or the other. Digital RAW has just been intentionally designed to yield a FLAT/LINEAR file ... so that we can (intended) APPLY the profile of our choosing @ processing the capture.

To that end ... I'm only "happy" to see you being "unbridled" by the purist myth @ "sooc is the end of the story" ... even if you do desire to present your style as neutral, faithful, accurate (all good) rather than dynamic (which may require a modicum of judiciousness). In the end, you will have to be true to yourself, for that is all that really matters ... no matter how you go about achieving it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:45 PM
RustyBug

Hey Ben,

I used to go out to Sunset Cliffs in San Diego probably 2 or 3 times a week for months on end. I would arrive 2 hours before sunset and stay till an hour after. Lord only knows how many of these kinds of shots I would watch & wait on studying the surf/break to try and capture everything from the powerful surge, to the illuminated misty spray to the gentle milky flow as the water returned to where it came. Always aspiring for the perfect amount of illumination and interesting, but not overpowering background lighting, etc. I could sit out there for hours ... into the night at times, just watching and envisioning how to capture what I had in my minds eye ... as mesmerizing as the "Call of the Siren"

FE, trusty tripod and chrome film always ready for an evening at the "Cliffs" ... but for me it was more about watching and thinking because my budget only allowed for about two rolls of film a week (young sailor).

I find it interesting to notice the difference in the "split second" between the two time stamps. The first one has not yet reached full spray and it feels more "raw power" (potential energy) to me, while the second one feels more "peak action" (kinetic energy). Not that either is better or worse than the other ... but just to observe your point @ variables beyond our control (i.e. partial luck as we prepare to make our own to the degree possible).

Getting "on topic" ... it is good to see you "stretch" yourself, but do so only as it fits you. My main point @ all this has been that even as a "purist" with chrome ... the "film of choice" profile would have dictated how the colors (sat/hue/contrast/gamma) would render. In that I could have just as easily chosen to shoot Ektachrome vs. Fujichrome for my style & taste ... you too have the preferential options to choose your processing profile to your style & taste. Putting your style and taste in the digital realm is no different than choosing to load your FE with one film or the other. Digital RAW has just been intentionally designed to yield a FLAT/LINEAR file ... so that we can (intended) APPLY the profile of our choosing @ processing the capture.

To that end ... I'm only "happy" to see you being "unbridled" by the purist myth @ "sooc is the end of the story" ... even if you do desire to present your style as neutral, faithful, accurate (all good) rather than dynamic (which may require a modicum of judiciousness). In the end, you will have to be true to yourself, for that is all that really matters ... no matter how you go about achieving it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:45 PM
RustyBug

Hey Ben,

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:44 PM
RustyBug

Hey Ben,

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:14 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10944782 « The wave, a picture story »