Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of PhilDrinkwater's message #10636564 « D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!) »

PhilDrinkwater
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

lisy78 wrote:
That said in my (limited) experience with the D800 I've found something in the files that I think is what Spencer is hinting at... I have no experience with the 5D3 but shot a 5D2 professionally for a couple of years... no matter what I tried in LR (and I'm a total tinkerer) the vast majority of images would render as either too contrasty, or, if I tried to counter that, too flat. The 5D2 in natural light was much better in that respect... that was my perception anyway. The D800 is giving me exactly what I'm looking for and what I really had a hard time getting from the 5D2... the images have contrast as in they're not un-naturally flat... but at the same time there is plenty of falloff in the shadows and ramp up in the highlights ... it's as if there's just more color values available in the spectrum of colors that represent skin as it goes from deep shadow to specular highlight. Which would be consistent with the D800 having the higher DR that has been reported.

I'd actually welcome someone do a test where the differences in LR processing were taken out of the equation...

I don't care about the results either way - it won't change what I chose to buy - I just care that the test be done under reasonably strict conditions. That's all

May 15, 2012 at 01:18 PM

Previous versions of PhilDrinkwater's message #10636564 « D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!) »