Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of PhilDrinkwater's message #10628996 « D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!) »

PhilDrinkwater
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

sboerup wrote:
However, the differences are not simply just post production, thats a little naive to say I think, unless you\'ve tested both and can show me what you don\'t see that I do.

You seem to be under the illusion I\'m knocking the d800 and that you need to defend it; I\'m not and you don\'t.

I\'ll be very clear because you seem to have misunderstood. I am not saying there aren\'t differences in the sensors. I am not saying the d800 sensor isn\'t better. I AM saying that the two files you posted are not an indicator of the differences between the sensors - the vast, vast majority of the difference is in your post production.

If you pixel peep I\'m sure you can see differences still, even if they were post produced to the same standard, but what you posted was one shot that looked great and one which looked terrible. The d800 looked great and the 5d3 looked terrible. The 5d3 files are not terrible - it was the post production (and partly expecting that they should use the same exposure) that caused them to look that way.

Whether the 5d3 files would ever look *quite* as good as the d800 (or the other way around) is unknown, but I can clearly say that my 5d1, 5d2 and 5d3 files do not look anywhere near as poor quality as the shot you posted. So, my conclusion that it\'s post production has to be correct, unless you camera is faulty.

That\'s as clear as I can be...

Like you say that I can\'t compare the two cameras unless I\'ve used them, I would likewise highlight that someone who hasn\'t heard about colour calibration with a colour checker passport (and presumably other similar methods) can\'t have looked at post production that deeply, so I\'d question your ability to compare the look from the two cameras too... sorry but the files you post only allow me to draw that conclusion.

If you\'re going to compare two things, you have to be fair to them both.

The d800 is a great camera btw, just in case anyone needs me to say it again Hoorah for Nikon!

P.S My 5d3 rocked at my wedding today!

May 12, 2012 at 04:56 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)

sboerup wrote:
However, the differences are not simply just post production, thats a little naive to say I think, unless you\'ve tested both and can show me what you don\'t see that I do.

You seem to be under the illusion I\'m knocking the d800 and that you need to defend it; I\'m not and you don\'t.

I\'ll be very clear because you seem to have misunderstood. I am not saying there aren\'t differences in the sensors. I am not saying the d800 sensor isn\'t better. I AM saying that the two files you posted are not an indicator of the differences between the sensors - the vast, vast majority of the difference is in your post production.

If you pixel peep I\'m sure you can see differences still, even if they were post produced to the same standard, but what you posted was one shot that looked great and one which looked terrible. The d800 looked great and the 5d3 looked terrible. The 5d3 files are not terrible - it was the post production (and partly expecting that they should use the same exposure) that caused them to look that way.

Whether the 5d3 files would ever look *quite* as good as the d800 (or the other way around) is unknown, but I can clearly say that my 5d1, 5d2 and 5d3 files do not look anywhere near as poor quality as the shot you posted. So, my conclusion that it\'s post production has to be correct, unless you camera is faulty.

That\'s as clear as I can be...

Like you say that I can\'t compare the two cameras unless I\'ve used them, I would likewise highlight that someone who hasn\'t heard about colour calibration with a colour checker passport (and presumably other similar methods) can\'t have looked at post production that deeply, so I\'d question your ability to compare the look from the two cameras too... sorry but the files you post only allow me to draw that conclusion.

The d800 is a great camera btw, just in case anyone needs me to say it again Hoorah for Nikon!

P.S My 5d3 rocked at my wedding today!

May 12, 2012 at 04:53 PM

Previous versions of PhilDrinkwater's message #10628996 « D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.