Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end
  

Archive 2012 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)
  
 
dkmiles1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


Has anyone tried the equivalent with the 5d3? Anything you can post?


May 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM
lisy78
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


Ha! Alex's tri-processing of one D800 shot works much better than the original.

Here's the result:







yeah I guess that doesn't have al that much DR in it.



May 12, 2012 at 01:05 AM
hardlyboring
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


I am a little late to the game...
What in the hell is this thread about?
DR?
Here is what it comes down to.
If you shoot Canon...try Nikon (with good G lenses).
You will not shoot Canon anymore.

btw I need a D800e asap. If anyone has a line on one let me know!



May 12, 2012 at 03:56 AM
sboerup
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


PhilDWedding wrote:
Speed issues with LR4 should be fixed now. It should run the same as LR3.. anyway...

The D800 sensor in low ISO *IS* better than the 5d3's. I agree. No arguments. However, the differences are not night and day as your example shows.

The major difference between those two files is in post production, not sensor...

I'm not "defending" Canon on this point, but I also wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea that Canon cameras can't produce nice colours and tones.... they can. In fact, that's a major reason I use Canon. I personally prefer the colours and tones
...Show more

LR4 is a dog. Plain and simple. Some people don't have issues, others do, a quick search around here will reveal that. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean others don't.

I wouldn't say the differences are night and day. It really depends on what application you are using them for. I shoot mainly portraits, not so many weddings (10 or so a year). For weddings this camera doesn't make too much sense, but its still phenomenal. Can you get the files to look very similar? Certainly, for the most part. But, unless you have tested both cameras with identical files from each camera, it's hard for someone to tell me differently, because I see the difference. And its not just simple Canon/Nikon preference, and I'm not talking technical pixel-peeping either, but real world application. The D800 is hands down a better sensor. And not just at low-ISO.

I've been shooting Canon since 2005. I never considered Nikon, until February. Sure, the 36mp allured me to try out the D800, because I had been on the verge of looking at medium format digital. Then when samples were posted, I was SUPER tempted to just jump ship. The 5D3 swayed me back, and you can read my review on that. Superb camera, the best Canon body every made.

However, the differences are not simply just post production, thats a little naive to say I think, unless you've tested both and can show me what you don't see that I do.

The D800 is the closest thing to medium format digital, and boy does it get close. Can the body and functions be improved? You bet, but, the sensor (not resolution) is hands down the most amazing sensor I've ever tested. And that means something to me, outside of post-production.



May 12, 2012 at 04:29 AM
sboerup
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


Alex, I think the first file is perfect, no need to HDR that.


May 12, 2012 at 04:29 AM
Tom K.
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


I learn more in this Wedding forum than any other forum on the web.


May 12, 2012 at 05:17 AM
XPO239
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


That's insane! I'm pretty impressed. If I get the D800, I'll never have to worry about exposure again.


May 12, 2012 at 08:33 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


martinezphoto wrote:
I would love to see what the 5D3 would produce in this situation.

No, you wouldn't.



May 12, 2012 at 09:39 AM
morganb4
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


^


May 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
kenyee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


It's basically the same tech as the Nikon D7000, Pentax K-5 sensor (nearly same photosite size but on a FF sensor size)....there were lots of "pull the black cat out of a black underexposed frame" tricks when the K-5 was introduced (the D7000 has a little less dynamic range in the shadows). So, lots of dynamic range in the shadows...less so in the highlights (weaker than traditional sensors). I'd bet if you tried highlight recovery, it look worse than the 5D (though not that much).

It's a very nice Sony sensor. Should be even better once they add the white pixel sensor to it in a year or two...



May 12, 2012 at 03:09 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ghost
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


Gotta admit, it is impressive!

But is it me or what, the image seems soft? Same with the couple with the car. They seem to not as pop. Maybe that's the sacrifice in pulling those incredible DR out.

Still impressive.



May 12, 2012 at 05:38 PM
sboerup
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


One more quick example, side by side with the 5D3 and Nikon D800 -- both with Sigma 50 1.4...which one is the Canon/Nikon?




May 12, 2012 at 05:53 PM
evertdoorn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


I'd say left d800


May 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


DR or not, look at this smooth transition at ISO 3200 and 1600 from today!!!!!
D800 where have you been whole my life?!



Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 01:26 AM · View previous versions



May 12, 2012 at 07:46 PM
elfanucchi
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


Very Interesting ...
Some other guy claims the 5D MK III DR at 2.75
and thinks this is significant to previous Canon models.
His thoughts were also its the best Wedding Camera.
To each their own what they consider significant.
To me Price, IQ, Focus, Focus w subject Action, and Noise is more significant.
What single DR number would you give the D800 ??



May 12, 2012 at 09:33 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


sboerup wrote:
However, the differences are not simply just post production, thats a little naive to say I think, unless you've tested both and can show me what you don't see that I do.


You seem to be under the illusion I'm knocking the d800 and that you need to defend it; I'm not and you don't.

I'll be very clear because you seem to have misunderstood. I am not saying there aren't differences in the sensors. I am not saying the d800 sensor isn't better. I AM saying that the two files you posted are not an indicator of the differences between the sensors - the vast, vast majority of the difference is in your post production.

If you pixel peep I'm sure you can see differences still, even if they were post produced to the same standard, but what you posted was one shot that looked great and one which looked terrible. The d800 looked great and the 5d3 looked terrible. The 5d3 files are not terrible - it was the post production (and partly expecting that they should use the same exposure) that caused them to look that way.

Whether the 5d3 files would ever look *quite* as good as the d800 (or the other way around) is unknown, but I can clearly say that my 5d1, 5d2 and 5d3 files do not look anywhere near as poor quality as the shot you posted. So, my conclusion that it's post production has to be correct, unless your camera is faulty.

That's as clear as I can be...

With respect, as you say that I can't compare the two cameras unless I've used them, I would likewise highlight that someone who hasn't heard about colour calibration with a colour checker passport (and presumably other similar methods) can't have looked at post production that deeply, so I'd question your ability to compare the look from the two cameras ... sorry but the files you post draw me to that conclusion.

If you're going to compare two things, you have to be fair to them both

The d800 is a great camera btw, just in case anyone needs me to say it again Hoorah for Nikon!

P.S My 5d3 rocked at my wedding today!

Edited on May 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions



May 12, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


sboerup wrote:
One more quick example, side by side with the 5D3 and Nikon D800 -- both with Sigma 50 1.4...which one is the Canon/Nikon?



you cannot really judge it from jpeg but right one have higher contrast set so while right looks as it is less smooth, it can be PP issue.





May 12, 2012 at 09:54 PM
MAC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


evertdoorn wrote:
I'd say left d800


it looks to me like they are focused differently since the rocks are more blurred in back of her on the right than the rocks in back of her on the left.

but assuming she is in focus - her blouse on the shot at the right has more detail. I can see a mole on her neck in the shot on the right. The rock that she is near to her left arm shows much more detail on the shot at the right.

we have different exposures.

I'd say the shot on the right is the d800



May 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM
canerino
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


sboerup wrote:
One more quick example, side by side with the 5D3 and Nikon D800 -- both with Sigma 50 1.4...which one is the Canon/Nikon?

http://www.spencerboerup.com/FM/d800-shadows-test-color.jpg




i'm going to say the one on the left is the d800. it looks 'nicer'. with that said, i have a question. the one on the right appears to be a bit over exposed. did you use 'camera left' first to obtain your exposure then shoot 'camera right'? or is this an example of more DR coming from 'camera left'?

i think the shot on the right could benefit from about -1/2 stop exposure.



May 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · D800 dynamic range (at a wedding!)


I see the "Shadows" slider has been lifted +67 in the original poster's shot. Anyone know how many stops a 67 shadow lift is equivalent to?


May 13, 2012 at 03:21 AM
1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password