Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of mpmendenhall's message #10481033 « your photography gear journey »

mpmendenhall
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: your photography gear journey

Started with a Nikon Coolpix 950 (2 megapixel, fixed 3x zoom lens). I had wanted a manual film SLR, but my dad had the foresight to convince me that it would be better to learn photography with digital (still somewhat new/unusual at the time) where I could take all the pictures I wanted (64MB CF card!) without paying for film development.

Moved up to the original Canon Digital Rebel and kit lens when it was fairly new; added nifty-50 (first experience with wide apertures and prime lens image quality) and 100/2.8 Macro lenses. Also picked up a Peleng 8mm circular fisheye from eBay, which was M42 mount on an adapter.

Several years later, kit lens broke after a small drop; got a 17-40/4 L.

Got a used EOS3 and started to consider switching to film. I loved the full-frame viewfinder experience, and ability to use 17-40L at full width. I home developed black and white Ilford films, but never got as far as printing anything; also, some color slide film.

Then I discovered that used Canon 5D cameras both existed and were in my budget. After one time using the 5D, the EOS3 went away to gather dust and has not been used again. This was finally the SLR that I had really wanted from the beginning. I started adding more Canon lenses: 50/1.4, 200/2.8L, Sigma 28/2.0, 85/1.2L. I found FM forums, sticking to the Canon forum.

Found a Super-Takumar at a yard sale, and wondered if the screw threads would fit in the adapter on my Peleng 8mm. They did. I discovered that there was a whole world of alt lenses beyond the Canon offerings. Started opportunistically buying alt lenses when they appeared cheap on the FM Buy & Sell board --- Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 50/1.4; Leitz Canada 50/2, 90/2; Oly 28/3.5, 24/2.8, 21/3.5; more and more...

Started to sell off the Canon lenses; goodbye 50/1.4. Got Oly wides; goodby 17-40L. Got a Leica 100/2.8 APO Macro; goodbye Canon 100/2.8. Got a Samyang 85/1.4; goodbye 85/1.2L. Eventually, all my autofocus lenses were gone.

Kept acquiring lots more alt lenses. Discovered the joys of APO glass (Leica, Mamiya, Voigtlander). I now know I have all the glass I need; there's still a bit more I want, but I'll have to slow down on acquisition because the items I don't have would burn through a 6 month to couple year budget in one blow.

Mar 27, 2012 at 02:01 PM

Previous versions of mpmendenhall's message #10481033 « your photography gear journey »