Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of John Wheeler's message #10365229 « D800 vs D800E image comparison blunder? »

John Wheeler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: D800 vs D800E image comparison blunder?

alundeb wrote:
Good catch.

What magnification are we looking at? It looks like both crops are interpolated way beoynd 100%. They are both very blurry and totally lacking in pixel detail, and the size ratio suggests around 200%, just for the small crops?

Since this was published in a PDF file, the viewing magnification is in question. Assuming that the original image was not cropped with the horizontal length being the full 7360 pixels of the Nikon D800/D800E then the crop would be right at 214 pixels wide (which is what was in the PDF file BTW). I used the image at this link (click on paired image to magnify) and that is what I used for the images in my previous post. That calculates to a magnification of between 200% and 300% (277% by my calculation). It would be much better if they provided 100% crops yet the PDF file was a presentation made with Keynote software so Nikon may not have realized how widespread this image would become.

Here is the link to another Nikon side by side comparison image that has the same pixels and compression applied. Not a lot of difference in this pair of images yet there is a difference:

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Previous versions of John Wheeler's message #10365229 « D800 vs D800E image comparison blunder? »