Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Jeff Nolten's message #10150741 « 7D vs 5D mark II cropping power »

Jeff Nolten
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 7D vs 5D mark II cropping power

I have both 5Ds and a 7D. I like a final file size of about 12 MP, close to the 5Dc size - probably from habit of liking it so much. With the 5D2 I'll often crop down to 5Dc size ~1.25 if I've nailed the capture. With the 7D, more often than not I'm averaging down to a 5Dc size ~.85. But you have to remember you are starting with a 1.6 crop factor on the 7D so it still yields the higher "reach" image for a given lens. If you're not reach limited, reach for the 5D.

This is not to say the 7D doesn't provide for plenty of cropability for composing or straightening horizons and it can yield some wonderful images in good conditions. My experience with it is tainted by the fact that I tend to use it when I'm reach limited or conditions are otherwise compromised such by trying to capture action. The 7D body sure has some nice features too.

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:50 PM
Jeff Nolten
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: 7D vs 5D mark II cropping power

I have both 5Ds and a 7D. I like a final file size of about 12 MP, close to the 5Dc size - probably from habit of liking it so much. With the 5D2 I'll often crop down to 5Dc size ~1.25 if I've nailed the capture. With the 7D, more often than not I'm averaging down to a 5Dc size ~.85. But you have to remember you are starting with a 1.6 crop factor on the 7D so it still yields the higher "reach" image for a given lens. If you're not reach limited, reach for the 5D.

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:44 PM

Previous versions of Jeff Nolten's message #10150741 « 7D vs 5D mark II cropping power »