Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              473      
       475              4304       4305       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.474 #1 · p.474 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My first post in this thread. I'll come clean right from the start and admit that I've always been a Canon shooter, but I've been shooting with my NEX more than any of my dSLR's recently which opens up the opportunity to use so much MF glass with relative ease.

So I picked up an old, beat up Nikkor 55 f/3.5 macro and I must admit that I'm surprised how good it is, although it is hard to find a bad macro lens....

All hand held on a NEX 5N (MF is so easy with the ext EVF and "peaking" function)....

I think this first one is wide open...

f/5.6...

f/3.5...

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.474 #2 · p.474 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I just hold mine until it locks

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.474 #3 · p.474 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One more with the 55 f/3.5 macro, wide open....

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.474 #4 · p.474 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49,

You are not helping me and my want of a NEX or 4/3 camera but I am still holding off for a x10 when it comes out. Great captures with that fun and versatile lens.

I do not want to offend in any way but this thread is dedicated to Nikon MF glass on a Nikon branded body. We have had people drop in many a times using Nikon glass on all sorts of bodies and the images are always top notch like yours but just for consistency (over 9400 posts with this topic in mind) it is best we try our hardest to keep to the spirt of the thread.

Please grab a Nikon body and post away with your MF Nikon Glass.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2011 at 01:42 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.474 #5 · p.474 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pdx_B-Rad wrote:
michael49,

You are not helping me and my want of a NEX or 4/3 camera but I am still holding off for a x10 when it comes out. Great captures with that fun and versatile lens.

I do not want to offend in any way but this thread is dedicated to Nikon MF glass on a Nikon branded body. We have had people drop in many a times using Nikon glass on all sorts of bodies and the images are always top notch like yours but just for consistency (over 9400 posts with this topic in mind) it is best we try
...Show more

Via PM:

I'm sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings Michael, but this thread was created for photographers who mount their Nikon manual focus lenses on Nikon digital and film cameras. I know how tempting these lenses are for folks shooting with cameras from other systems, but that isn't what this thread is about. Folks shooting with NEX, Canon and other cameras are free to post their Nikon MF images in the Alternative Gear forum, but Nikon shooters may not since the lenses come from the same company and don't represent an alternative. So I created this thread for those Nikon shooters. I hope you'll understand our intention and refrain from posting further photos unless you decide a Nikon camera belongs in your kit. All the best. Curtis

All the best.

Curtis

I guess I don't embody the intent of this thread, sad that people aren't interested in MF Nikon glass on other bodies in this thread, esp considering that mirrorless cameras are likely to represent an increasing percentage of MF glass usage. Oh well, enjoy your thread.

Edited on Oct 30, 2011 at 02:02 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2011 at 01:59 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #6 · p.474 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, it'll stop once you have the lens yourself, then another one appears and you say "Oh look, SHINY!" (take it from someone who knows the syndrome well!)

leighton w wrote:
Stop it Curtis! You KNOW I've been wanting this lens, and now you post these fantastic images. Just the other day you did it to me with the 135mm f/2. Where will it end...where will it end.

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:02 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #7 · p.474 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, just checking, but isn't this the same dog that was on the motorcycle in a previous shot? Seems I've seen him/her in your shots before. Love the shot!

CGrindahl wrote:

Are you saying there's something wrong with the D700? Heresy!

Always the adventurer Brad. Glad you're having fun with all of this. I ran an errand in the small downtown of my hometown and carried the 135 f/2 AI-s with me. I took a few shots I can share in this lovefest...

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JxRzNDNshg8/TqyHM5zsWUI/AAAAAAAAKn4/wggw0tLrMlY/s1000/135.2.PatientFriend.jpg

A patient friend waiting outside a dance studio near downtown. The poor animal was a bit freaked by the shutter slap... On the street near where the dog was waiting I came upon this small beauty..

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:03 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #8 · p.474 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Dean. It's the only background that doesn't show the cat hair so easily

deang001 wrote:
Great work everyone. It's really good that this thread is moving fast - when I get up for my morning coffee I'm being treated to 2-3 pages on average !!

Laura - nice collection ! Not sure abpout the tie-dye backdrop though !!!

John - awesome panoramas - looks like a great place for a relaxing vacation. Nice close-up work on the caterpillar as well !!

Gregory - great stuff as always - please keep posting the older film stuff as well. With as many exotic AI-S lenses that you have you could almost start a small rental service as a side business.
...Show more

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:04 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #9 · p.474 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Michael, we ARE interested, but we visit the ALT board here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55 for those images. Over there, Nikon lenses being used on Nikon cameras aren't welcome, so that's why Curtis made this one over on the Nikon branch of FM. See http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/0#8774868 for the original post. Hope you understand that we're just looking for a place for the Nikon on Nikon to shine

michael49 wrote:
Via PM:

I'm sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings Michael, but this thread was created for photographers who mount their Nikon manual focus lenses on Nikon digital and film cameras. I know how tempting these lenses are for folks shooting with cameras from other systems, but that isn't what this thread is about. Folks shooting with NEX, Canon and other cameras are free to post their Nikon MF images in the Alternative Gear forum, but Nikon shooters may not since the lenses come from the same company and don't represent an alternative. So I created this thread for those

All the best.

Curtis

I guess I don't embody the intent of this thread, sad that people aren't interested in MF Nikon glass on other bodies in this thread, esp considering that mirrorless cameras are likely to represent an increasing percentage of MF glass usage. Oh well, enjoy your thread.
...Show more

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:13 AM
philipj
• • •
p.474 #10 · p.474 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My neighbourhood has really transformed while I've been in Toronto. The area around a commuter and freight rail corridor has in the past year or so seen a half dozen condo buildings crop up, with more on the way. Here's a view of 3 of those condo towers near the tracks taken with the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s, at, I think, f/4.

Railway condos by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.474 #11 · p.474 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49 wrote:

Yes, I'm interested in images from Nikon MF glass on alternative bodies as well, but this thread was not chartered for that.
Please do post in the Alternative Gear topic and I'll look forward to seeing them there.

John

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:41 AM
drdrew
• • • •
p.474 #12 · p.474 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am about to put up some shots with my MF nikons on Monday, but until then I am wondering if anyone here has experience with the older 28 and 35 mm pc lenses? This would be for landscape work so stopped down sharpness is my concern. Any insights on which models would be the preferred tool for me? Thanks a bunch for any input!

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:44 AM
raboof
• • •
p.474 #13 · p.474 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Michael, I like the images from the 55mm f3.5. Was that AI or non-AI?

Recent pictures from my 135mm f2 AIS

One from 28mm f2.8 AIS

Oct 30, 2011 at 02:55 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.474 #14 · p.474 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

+1 for Michael49, I enjoyed your photos with the 55mm 3.5 especially the color of the leaves

Oct 30, 2011 at 03:02 AM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.474 #15 · p.474 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

35 1.4

Juliana Halloween time!

Oct 30, 2011 at 05:37 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #16 · p.474 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I bet she was happy with that sultry costume. Very creative!

Love the first two shots as well. Bokeh play is ALWAYS delicious...

Oct 30, 2011 at 05:50 AM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.474 #17 · p.474 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

She was "Morrigan" the Celtic Raven Goddess. Kids these days geezz (cool part is she did all the research at the library before she made the selection..) .

We had to have a long talk about the conflicting meaning of the goddess of "True Love", Death and War all at the same time. I think she has started to come up with her own understandings about human nature and that all these "ideas" are unique in their companion role to us and our nature....that is nice for a 10 year old and I can't wait to see where she takes the new ideas, that may take a few years to but i plan to be around to watch.

And thanks. Getting some bokeh in each day makes me happy

Oct 30, 2011 at 06:05 AM
NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.474 #18 · p.474 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Went to shot a band tonight. I am to tired to post process or comment on other's work right now but this one stuck out as an interesting shot. Taken outside before the gig.

Nikkor 58 1.2 Nocturnal On Nikon D3

Oct 30, 2011 at 08:32 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.474 #19 · p.474 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice! That's perfect Gregory

Oct 30, 2011 at 09:53 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #20 · p.474 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

VERY creepy, Gregory! Thankfully no fava beans or Chianti around here!

Nice shot!

NikkorAIS wrote:
Went to shot a band tonight. I am to tired to post process or comment on other's work right now but this one stuck out as an interesting shot. Taken outside before the gig.

http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Winter-2011/i-9DwTFfG/0/L/BBB7484-XL.jpg

Nikkor 58 1.2 Nocturnal On Nikon D3

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password