p.474 #1 · p.474 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Pretty Impressive Ray

Reagan

Nov 09, 2011 at 05:40 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.474 #2 · p.474 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As happened with Ben's lens that had grease on an element that Ron took apart and returned, this is definitely a place where we can both support and encourage one another. If you begin adventuring Peter, don't hesitate to ask for help from the folks on this thread who are adventurers themselves. Especially when you already own the lens it makes sense to research how to utilize them on modern cameras. The glass is definitely worth salvaging.

I had a conversation this morning with a friend who is a pro. I've mentioned him before. His work will grace the cover of the 2012 Sierra Club Wilderness calendar. In the newsletter I designed recently, we used one of his photo on the cover page. He called to congratulate me on the design and I asked whether he'd taken the photo with his D700. Most of his work has been done with large format film but he has been using the D700 for the last couple of years. In fact, it was his experience and glowing reviews that led me to buy my camera and begin this Nikon adventure.

He laughed and said the photo had been taken in 1985 with an FE and a 200 f/4 lens which he described as one of the sharpest lenses he's owned. It is one of those pre-AI lenses that would require conversion to use. Nikon has made great lenses for a long time and there is no reason we shouldn't take advantage of them on our digital cameras. The more folks capable of doing conversions the better as far as I'm concerned.

Edited on Nov 09, 2011 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2011 at 05:56 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #3 · p.474 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, this lens is doubtless going to get a great deal of work on your D7000. The 180 sings... great color and bokeh. Those lettuce leaves are so real I feel I should be able to reach out and pluck a few for my lunch...

Congratulations Leighton!

Nov 09, 2011 at 06:06 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #4 · p.474 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The bokeh from that lens Phillipe is delicious. Wonderful images! I've no doubt the 200 f/2 AI-s is an amazing lens, but when one can add a 180 f/2.8 AI-s ED to one's kit for one fifth the price, why not? Amazing lens and fine shots.

Nov 09, 2011 at 06:16 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.474 #5 · p.474 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton congrats of your new "BABY" I knew you wouldn't wait to long to share some of your fine shots with us.
Good job Phillippe I am getting a bit of lens envy with all of these 180mm shots.

Nov 09, 2011 at 06:21 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #6 · p.474 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Leighton congrats of your new "BABY" I knew you wouldn't wait to long to share some of your fine shots with us.
Good job Phillippe I am getting a bit of lens envy with all of these 180mm shots.

That's what this thread is all about Ray...

Nov 09, 2011 at 06:30 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.474 #7 · p.474 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Yes it works perfectly on my D7000. It was a K series lens which only required taking out 4 of the 5 screws. The one opposite the 5.6 is left in because the spring is attached. Then lift out the mount and pull the F stop ring out. I believe that on older models the f-stop ring has to be screwed out. Then measure, mark and file down the area. Big plus is the $50 bucks you would have paid for shipping both ways, insurance and conversion, you save to buy another lens
That may sound cheap but I
...Show more

I have a broken 28 f 3.5 AI lens I can practice on. One of the glass elements inside is bouncing around, so no big drama there if I screw up. After the 28I will move on to the 135, which is one of those old silver barrel lenses, huge and heavy. The 105mm looks like one of the last lenses made before the AI thing came around and is the one I want to use the most. If it all fails, no huge loss.

I would send them out to get them done if I didn't have my eyes on much more expensive DX wide angle glass right now (tokina 11-16mm f/2.8). Need to first sell the D90 and D40 - after 2 weeks with the D7000, I know I have no use for these bodies any longer.

Nov 09, 2011 at 06:53 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.474 #8 · p.474 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's the spirit Peter. Good luck with your conversion. Go slow and you may want to invest in a set of JIS screw drivers. The usa philips are not exactly the same as the screws that Nikon uses. The screws are usually in pretty tight.

Nov 09, 2011 at 07:02 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.474 #9 · p.474 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis - I'm still amazed what KEH considers a bargain! Now I know why you like the 180mm so much.

Ray - You were right, I just couldn't wait anymore.

Edited on Nov 09, 2011 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2011 at 08:18 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.474 #10 · p.474 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty I Love the contrast in that first photo. The snow is pretty to look at but i don't miss it one bit. It's 80 here today

Nov 09, 2011 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

montym
• • • •
p.474 #11 · p.474 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tampa Sounds like a great place to be these days
Thanks Ray

Nov 09, 2011 at 08:59 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #12 · p.474 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Tampa Sounds like a great place to be these days
Thanks Ray

I grew up next door in Minnesota and I don't miss winter AT ALL. I do love that first shot, however.

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:21 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.474 #13 · p.474 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis - I missed the restaurant shots before, what beautiful lighting. Food any good?

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #14 · p.474 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
This thing reminds me of the Biblical Burning Bush. Have had little free time lately to be taking pictures but this one I had to get a shot of in the neighbors yard. 50mm 1.4 AIS

Yes, great colors Ron. You've been missed on the thread, but I understand, sometimes life intervenes...

Here are some autumn leaves California style taken with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s wide open.

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:25 PM
montym
• • • •
p.474 #15 · p.474 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis, my daughter lives in Minneapolis, long cold winter there. One year she rode her bicycle all winter. We finally bought her a car :-)

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #16 · p.474 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Curtis - I missed the restaurant shots before, what beautiful lighting. Food any good?

I don't very often go to high end restaurants, especially when Iron Springs Brew Pub is only three blocks away...

I know you understand.

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:27 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.474 #17 · p.474 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, nice shots with the new toy, I'm surprised you don't keep it by your side as you're working, just in case something fun comes up to shoot.

Phillipe, nice people shots Looks like it's not too cold there yet.

Ray, you're just going to have to give in and get one... the force is calling you.

Monty, like the yellow tree shot as well. I'm ready for snow...

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #18 · p.474 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Thanks Curtis, my daughter lives in Minneapolis, long cold winter there. One year she rode her bicycle all winter. We finally bought her a car :-)

I'm an alum of the University of Minnesota and spent my formative years in Richfield just south of town. I still have relatives there but I've only made one visit, last year, in the last fifteen years. I enjoyed the balmy summer evenings and even a touch of humidity wasn't bad. But you won't find me visiting in the winter ever again. And while having a car is much better than riding a bicycle in winter, I remember sliding down an icy road as my car did a slow 180 completely on its own. That I didn't hit anything was due simply to the fact I was on a one-way parkway with no cars parked on either side of the street. I believe winter demands about one extra hour every day simply to handle everything from putting on heavy clothes to chipping ice off the windshield to driving slowly to avoid losing control on slippery streets. As lovely as Minneapolis is in many ways, winter is no fun. Ask Gregory if you doubt me... he has about seven months of the stuff up in Calgary...

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.474 #19 · p.474 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
...I'm ready for snow...

Is it true you're a masochist?

Of do you simply mean you have fire wood stocked up, snow tires on your car and long johns in the drawer?

I get cold just seeing photos of snow...

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.474 #20 · p.474 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I don't very often go to high end restaurants, especially when Iron Springs Brew Pub is only three blocks away...

I know you understand.

Now you're talking my kind of restaurant!

Love the light in your last shot, I was wondering if you were ever going to have Autumn.

Nov 09, 2011 at 09:36 PM
1       2       3              473      
       475              5891       5892       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              473      
       475              5891       5892       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password