Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2951      
       2953              3809       3810       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2952 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton, great framing of the first shot and smart use of the 24/2.8 wide open and up close on #2.
I would try to refine shot #1 by placing a clearly recognizable products of the supplier more prominently in the foreground (it shouldn't look massive, but it should catch the viewers/jury-members eyes).
On #2 I would shoot a bit more from the left side (the greenhouse almost filling the frame), with Barbara cranking the winder from the right side (her left hand at the grip). The shallow DoF works great.
On both shots I would keep your wife's face visible (if
...Show more
Great suggestions. from what you and others have said, I'm going to try again.

On the first one, the "recognizable product" is the green-house structure itself, I was trying to show what we use it for. I like your idea about #2 much better and will definitely shoot that one over.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:38 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2952 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

60,000 posts and 3,000 pages coming up soon. Welcome Luc from Netherlands!

Scott, I liked the ones of your sets with the rolling hills the most. That last one actually gives me mixed feelings, looking at that beautiful scenery through barbed wire

Chin, very nice image of your daughter making brownies!

Leighton, we all need to talk to Barbara to get her to start using the Nikon and put you to work instead

A quick look through ebay admiring lenses this morning, came across this deal from Hong Kong - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Nikon-NIKKOR-N-C-5CM-f-1-1-NIPPON-50mm-f1-1-Nippon-Kogaku-Tokyo-LTM-Mount-/170980658014?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27cf3dcb5e

Is the LTM the Leica mount or another one, I wonder if those can be changed although I would want a bit more affordable and less minty one And what's with those 12 funky aperture blades? Anyone going to bid for it and post the bokeh effects on this thread?

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:39 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2952 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Thank you Georg, Chin, Leighton, Ray, Ronnie, and Ben for the comments. Here is another series from the mountains in western Virginia. Thanks for looking.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/54/826354.jpg
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/55/826355.jpg
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/56/826356.jpg
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/57/826357.jpg
Scott

I guess I'm biased, but I love the whole set! I particularly like the way you used the tree to frame the third image. Waiting to see the waterfall image.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:41 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2952 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I liked both shots Leighton but I think both Ray and Georg gave you some good suggestions. And I hope you told Barbara what Ray said about pretty women since she definitely is one. I have no idea what she's doing with an old codger like you... (Of course, you could say the same about Sue and me... )

The pot calling the kettle black!

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:43 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2952 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, wonderful landscape-work! My personal favs are #3 (for it's excellent framing) and #4 (the light is fantastic).

Samy, I think I skip the offer from Hongkong ;-) LTM means M39-threat-mount and the flange-distance (?) is too short to get infinity-focus with any SLR. M39- and M42-lenses can be easily adapted to bellows (M39 is the most common threat for enlarging lenses too, and adapters should be easy to find). The old superfast-lenses have a very special rendering, I have a Summarit-M 50/1.5 in Leica bayonet-mount that renders highlights in very, very cool fashion ;-)
I could be wrong, but if memory serves there are lotsa interesting lenses from the former USSR with up to 20 aperture-blades - a nice playground for the alt-user ;-)

Philip, having a bus driving by to shed some light onto a subject is what I would call "Delux-photography" ;-) Nice work!

John, your panos are all first rate, the latest one is truly excellent.

Chuong, very nice action-shot in the kitchen!

Curtis, I will for sure not pay collector-prices for the 200/4Q or the 300/4.5H, but if the prices are in a moderate region, I will give both lenses a try. They look beautiful and in general I like the workmanship shown on older lenses.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2952 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Scott, Georg, Peter (SA), Ronny and Samy for the words.

Ray, your night shot with the 24/2.8 and the clouds shot are awesome;

Samy, thanks for sharing your test with 35mm's bokeh;

Ronny, as usual excellent flower shots, but the bettle shots are spetacular;

Curtis, beautifully captured California Oak, and great B&W PP;

Scott, beautiful landscape set, liked the most the 1st and last ones;

John, as usual spetacular pano with the venerable 400/5.6 ED;

Peter B, excellent train set, rich colours and creative perspectives.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2952 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yesterday´s late afternoon at the university campus I was lucky enough to capture some shots of a female Blond-crested Woodpecker foraging for fruits.
The light was poor so I needed ISO 1600, a wide open lens, and a monopod.
Shots wer ~10-11m away.

Acrobatic skills when foraging:

Female Blond-crested Woodpecker by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K ED ai'd + monopod, ISO 1600, wide open at 1/200s.
When foraging these small fruits this woodpecker displayed her acrobatic skills.

Eating fruit:

Female Blond-crested Woodpecker eating fruits by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K ED ai'd + monopod, ISO 1600, wide open at 1/160s.
Frugivory is not uncommon among some woodpecker species, like this one.

I am not a PP expert, but the auto colour correction resulted in a bluish cast that I did not like. I preferred the magenta cast. The fruits are exacly this colour, light pink/purple; it was late afternnon on a cloudy sky.

It seems at most birding forums one can only take bird pictures with the latest AF-S, VRIII, nano, etc lenses, but people often forget until mid or late 1980s all bird shots were taken with MF glass. I am glad this 40 years old lens still can perform well at the digital age.

Edited on Jun 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2952 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

^Love both of them Jose, and the colors look good. You're right, that lens does perform well...in the right hands!

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2952 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like this one Peter, I used to work in facilities like this in my life before farming. I love your processing style of late too.

Thanks Leighton - processing on this one was quite simple once out of camera raw - adjustments - Black and White - Red Filter. It works well for high contrast images, but I'm still learning how to properly process black and white images that aren't as punchy as this one. Learned a few tricks from our buddy Gavin Hoey (who colors his images in Raw with adjustment brushes to create the color contrast the conversion to black and white is based on. And then there's that thing about using 16-bit color when going from RAW to Photoshop, which allows for much cleaner conversions. I've noticed on some of my images I get a halo effect around edges when choosing black and white settings, which may be related to the lack of tonal range. And to top it off, Serge Ramelli uses a totally different process, where he creates a pretty flat image and then more or less paints the contrast tones onto the image where he feels it needs it, So far, I haven't taken a photo that would give me the desire to spend that much time on the processing. So, compared to that, this black and white image was really a matter 10 extra seconds and a quick scroll down the preset lists.

the biggest thing I changed in my color processing workflow is to use anything but the Adobe standard color profile. In most recent cases I have used Camera Landscape, and it made a huge difference in colors, especially the sky is now blue when I want it blue. I bought the D600 profiles from Huelight, too, and use them on lower contrast subjects, since they aren't quite as punchy as Camera Landscape or Vivid. Once you use these profiles, you need to be very careful with the whitepoint in Camera Raw, because the saturation levels are much higher than normal and you'll easily blow out detail in the brighter colors. I usually back off behind the first clipping showing on screen, since adding clarity will push things beyond the limit again.

The most significant workflow change remains using Serge Ramelli's adjustment of highlights/shadows and white/black points, which has had me go back and re-edit hundreds of old images over the last few weeks. Amazing how much you can pull out of some vintage 2008 D40 RAW files using CS6 and his approach.

Below some concrete and glass done the Ramelli way 1/400s f/4, ISO 100 using the 135mm f/2-8 Nikkor-Q and a polarizer, here to reduce glare on the glass. Almost converted this to black and white, but it is already more or less a duo-tone. The file out of camera was rather flat and boring with no detail in the windows. I have to say, pulling an image like this out of a bland flat shot that in JPEG would have gone into the trash is half the fun of using my camera these days

In other news - my TC-16A teleconverter replacement finally has shipped...

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:32 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2952 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:

I am not a PP expert, but the auto colour correction resulted in a bluish cast that I did not like. I preferred the magenta cast. The fruits are exacly this colour, light pink/purple; it was late afternnon on a cloudy sky.

It seems at most birding forums one can only take bird pictures with the latest AF-S, VRIII, nano, etc lenses, but people often forget until mid or late 1980s all bird shots were taken with MF glass. I am glad this 40 years old lens still can perform well at the digital age.

Jose, I love these shots - makes me want to just take the big lens out and stalk some birds. The purple cast is something I notice in many images that are heavy on green foliage. Automatic white balance tends to over compensate for the large number of green pixels and shadows especially drop into purple. Normal images on my camera tend to have the green/purple slider in the white balance near +6 to +8 on purple, which helps me find a quick base line setting when correcting images taken in forests, as the camera will sometimes guess +20 or more for the purple tint in those scenes.

In the end you can only be sure if you use a white balance tool (all my rail car shots are done with a wibal card setting the balance for each lens and the polarizer, as they all differ on the same scene), although in a forest, the wibal card will probably get a green cast from all the surrounding trees and you may over compensate. Perhaps the safest thing to do is to use a camera white balance preset like daylight or cloudy and tweak it a little.

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rankamateur
• • •
p.2952 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My favorite lens the 80-200mm 4.5 C Auto 100% crops

NIKON D7000    80mm    f/4.5    1/640s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7000    80mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.2952 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Jose.. Wow !
Scott: Great set
Leighton.. Nice shot
Chuong: Great shot with 85 1.4
Curtis: Beautifully captured Oak
John: Wow.. great pano shot
Ray: Great sunset shot
Ron: Great flower set

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.2952 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:32 PM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2952 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I appreciate that comment Georg. I often consider the possibility that I'll be bidding against a friend from this thread. In fact, Chuong outbid me to a 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s some time ago. I was lamenting the fact that my bid of $87 was topped and he kindly told me he'd put a maximum bid much higher and I wouldn't have won if I'd increased my maximum bid only marginally.

I don't think too many folks would be bidding on a German language site. Honestly, knowing how badly you folks are hit with taxes when you import something bought in the
...Show more

Curtis, the performance of this lens is very good at any price, and outstanding for the price, all it needs is automatic lateral and some axial aberration correction, and it may be the best looking metal focusing ring lens nikon ever made! your collection is not complete without it!

These test shots on D800 with no axial aberration correction, the ugliness around the highlights is easily fixed if you apply it, The two bottom ones are 100% crops. Lens is as sharp as any other 300mm I own.

300mm 4.5 H on D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

300mm 4.5 H non ai full frame at 8.0 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

300mm 4.5 H non ai crop at 4.5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

300mm 4.5 H non ai full frame at 8.0 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:35 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2952 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I understand now Ronny. The Vivitar 36mm tube is ALWAYS on your camera... it is just the lens that changes...

All these shots are delicious. You demonstrate over and over again how much there is to look at and photograph when you're inclined to get close with an MF Nikkor and an extension tube. Really wonderful work.

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2952 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like this one Peter, I used to work in facilities like this in my life before farming. I love your processing style of late too.

pburke wrote:
Thanks Leighton - processing on this one was quite simple once out of camera raw - adjustments - Black and White - Red Filter. It works well for high contrast images, but I'm still learning how to properly process black and white images that aren't as punchy as this one. Learned a few tricks from our buddy Gavin Hoey (who colors his images in Raw with adjustment brushes to create the color contrast the conversion to black and white is based on. And then there's that thing about using 16-bit color when going from RAW to Photoshop, which allows for
...Show more

I'll have to try the camera landscape setting inside of LR. Serge is another I watch carefully.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:53 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2952 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3788/9091582115_031cc82991_b.jpg

I love how the stem disappears in this shot.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:54 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2952 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

I'll have to try the camera landscape setting inside of LR. Serge is another I watch carefully.

I don't bother with the camera setting in camera, don't even know what it is set for - it's how the RAW file is interpreted in Camera Raw or Lightroom, where you can change it to anything you want. Makes a huge difference. Ramelli can be over the top - he does have some basic CS6 and light room techniques that are a great basis for processing, though.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:57 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2952 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Trying some action shots with the 80-200 4.5 C Auto

NIKON D7000    80mm    f/6.3    1/320s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7000    80mm    f/6.3    1/320s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:03 PM
lucdeschepper
• •
p.2952 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
We're on the downhill run to 60,000. This thread amazes me! Well done everyone. And welcome Luc. Always good to have more folks from Europe and from the Netherlands for certain. Enjoy yourself. What camera are you using? Inquiring minds...

Thanks, I'm feeling at home already. I'm using a D700, paired with a 28mm f2.8 AI-s, 50mm f1.2 AI-s, 50mm f1.4 AF-G, 85mm f1.8 AF-D, 105mm f2.5 AI-s, 105mm f2 AF-D DC and 180mm f2.8 AF-D.

I specialize in car shots, mainly details of cars.

And now for something completely different; two images shot on Kodachrome.

F100, 50mm f1.2

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password