Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2948      
       2950              4182       4183       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2949 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, thank you! Nice B&W-set above, I like especially the tree taken with the 105. I wonder how many of your many (and that's a bold understatement ;-) MF-Nikkor's you carry while being underway.

Scott, thanks! The barn-set is very nice - a great idea for a series about rural Virginia. The out-of-focus flowers in the foreground work very well for me. The shiny metal-roof (or the image with the...) is perfectly exposed, maybe I would have tried to catch something like an even brighter reflex. This - together with a slightly darker exposure - would have accentuated the special light. Your have a great eye for good lighting-situations.

John, the bowed bathroom-door is a bummer, I hope that's not typical for American craftsmanship
The light on the ferry-shot is awesome; tug and barge (hey, did you smuggle miniature-mountains into this shot?) are wonderful captured too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:39 AM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2949 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Scott, I'd echo georg's remarks - the barn set is very nice. Have you considered giving them the b&w treatment? I'm also curious, are they accessible? They look abandoned to me

Jun 19, 2013 at 09:27 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2949 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
The southwestern part of Virginia is very picturesque. Leighton lives in a beautiful state. These are some barn images all captured with the 50 1.4 SC. Any comments and critique are welcomed. The barn with the wood rail fence was shot directly into harsh light as an experiment. The metal roof was extremely bright. The one with the yellow flowers in the foreground I could not decide if I preferred the flowers in or out of focus.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/10/825910.jpg
Scott

How could I NOT like these? But I particularly like this one, well done. I know you have more to show us because I saw them in your camera.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2949 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Been pretty busy with work and managing out bathroom remodel. The young guy doing it has done a great job so far.
Should be mostly done by the end of next week!

Call me old-fashioned, but I like what your bathroom looked like before.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2949 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This was the first thing I tried. The lens body is aluminum and sucked all the heat out of the screw.

you need a bigger soldering iron

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:15 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2949 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

my first thought was this was the finished result photo on top of the construction image... only a somewhat crooked bent looking door that may need to be straightened out, although it has that peep-hole feel to it that works with doors and hallways quite well

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2949 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:

I'll take a finished picture when it's, well, finished I suppose.

You should have seen it when we moved in back in 1999.
Shag carpet on the floors. The toilet wasn't really bolted to the floor and you hit your knees on the bathtub when you sat down on it. They also have covered every square inch of the wall surface in thin strips of rough wood - almost like it was in a settler's rustic log cabin - ugh!

We are remodeling it to right many of the wrongs when I remodeled back in 1999.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:37 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2949 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Two shots from this morning, played with a 50/2 Ai:

trio I von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700+50/2Ai wide open

duo von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700 + 50/2 Ai wide open too

The 50/2 Ai's bokeh is closer to the fast 35's than to the 50/1.4 S/SC in my opinion (I could be wrong).
The highlights with the fast 35's and the 50/2 are rendered in a more "bubble fashion", while the outlines of out-of-focus highlights are rendered sharper with the 50/1.4 S/SC.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:06 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2949 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, I love the first one. Great composition and conversion. I really like the look from the 50/2 from what I've seen posted on here by you and others.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:22 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2949 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Love this one Scott

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2949 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Curtis... I wonder how many of your many (and that's a bold understatement ;-) MF-Nikkor's you carry while being underway...

Thanks Georg. I carry camera gear in the trunk of my car, so it is rather easy to carry quite a few lenses. I have four camera bags and set them up as needed for an excursion. But the key bag is a Lowepro mini backpack that typically has five or six lenses, extension tubes and the camera. It says something about this journey that all the lenses in my bag at the moment are converted pre-AI lenses... the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd, 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd, 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd and 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. I have a set of Vivitar extension tubes rather than Nikon tubes in part because they are easy to nest and don't take up much space. This is the kit I will carry on my back as well, as I did during my Nikki adventure in San Francisco. And it is the kit I carried for almost three weeks during my trip of Turkey and the Netherlands last year.

I have to say, however, that I much prefer carrying gear in the trunk than on my back... I'm not a young man any longer...

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:34 PM
David Antilley
• •
p.2949 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Howdy folks, just needed to see what a "real thread" on the intertoobs was like. I have been trying to expand to large format B&W film and have ventured into a whole different world of people. Maybe it's the fumes from the stopbath that makes 'em loonytoons.

Anyway, I follow this thread when I can and just wanted to say how nice it is to be reading great conversations and looking at beautiful photos. This thread rulez!

David

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:09 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2949 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I rarely use the 24mm f/2.8 AIS - when shooting DX it wasn't much of a wide angle and now in FX it's the same focal length as the wide end of my 24-85mm VR, plus I have a 20mm and a 14mm when I want wide wide. It also is a pretty beat up lens I got for less than $70, but the optics are fine on the D600 - on the bicycle it didn't add much extra weight to the 55mm and 135mm I also used. IT is a fine lens, probably sharper than the 20mm/f3.5

f/8.0 1/100s ISO 100, linear polarizer

f/8.0 1/30s ISO 100, linear polarizer

f/11.0 1/100s ISO 100, linear polarizer

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:44 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2949 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I am really glad I got the 135mm f/2.8 Q converted to AI - I used to have it on my F3HP with the little AI tab flipped out of the way and it worked OK that way, stopping down to meter and all that old fashioned manual stuff. On the D600with AI conversion it's a great lens, very easy to focus, and just long enough to grab some details along my bike commute route. The graffiti-plastered train cars somebody left along the modern buildings near the Kohl Center arena were perfect for it. All handheld on D600 with Marumi linear polarizer ISO 100

f/8.0 1/100s

f/2.8 1/800s

f/8.0 1/200s zoom zoom

f/2.8 1/1000s

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:53 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2949 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

more color, this time from the 55mm f1.2 S, which is becoming my favorite lens, because you just never know what you're going to get with it. Sometimes it is tack sharp, other times the image has the most interesting "flaws" that give it character, and then there are images that are just junk

Not sure if this is junk, just weird - it seems more in focus in the bottom corners than in the center. No idea what is going on here as I was focusing on the background, trying to blow out the train cars completely

f/1.2 1/1250s ISO 100

more pleasant
f/1.4 1/1600s ISO 100

f/1.2 1/1600s ISO 100

crispy sharp at f/11 1/40s ISO 100

more to come - don't want to burn out your color pixels on this page

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2949 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone

Great shot Curtis Scott John Peter Wi and Georg

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2949 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
I rarely use the 24mm f/2.8 AIS - when shooting DX it wasn't much of a wide angle and now in FX it's the same focal length as the wide end of my 24-85mm VR, plus I have a 20mm and a 14mm when I want wide wide. It also is a pretty beat up lens I got for less than $70, but the optics are fine on the D600 - on the bicycle it didn't add much extra weight to the 55mm and 135mm I also used. IT is a fine lens, probably sharper than the 20mm/f3.5

f/8.0 1/100s ISO
...Show more
I like this one Peter, I used to work in facilities like this in my life before farming. I love your processing style of late too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:46 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2949 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks everyone

Great shot Curtis Scott John Peter Wi and Georg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/9076260089_288b88d134_b.jpg

You have the soft pastel look going on here Ronny, I rather like it.

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2949 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton.. Edit with Vsco-film

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:59 PM
lucdeschepper
• •
p.2949 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Vintage NSU motorcycles, Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-s