Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2883      
       2885              4047       4048       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2884 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
The modified TC16A willl AF just fine. Congrats Peter!

I have both a modified and an untouched TC 16a, the untouched one autofocuses on my F4 but not on my D200, D3 and D800. The modified TC16a does not AF on the F4, but it autofocuses well in its limited range in the D200, D3 and D800. If focused well with my 400 3.5 and 600 5.6, but its optical quality varies a lot with different lenses, from poor to excellent.

I had posted one photo of this series before, but to entice you to try the TC16a with the 600mm, this photo was taken with the 400mm 3.5 and the TC16a, found it best at shorter distances and 5.6 on the lens. This was taken at the minimum focusing distance of the 400mm which is 4.5M, your 600 at 6.5M would give roughly the same magnification, at 4.5M with extenders it would be 50% bigger. My D800 would focus the TC16a fast and hold onto the eagle eye as the focal point of interest as though it knew where it was. (maybe it did) the focusing was very accurate, to be sure the photo is not the best off the bat, but a little axial aberration correction, sharpening and contrast adjust and it leaves little to be desired. The original photos will be better with a TC14b or newer, but AF in long focal lengths with moving targets cannot be overrated.

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 at 5.6 TC16A D800 Redtail Hawk 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 at 5.6 TC16A D800 Redtail Hawk 2 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Edited on May 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2884 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Wow Rafael ! Great shot

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

May 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2884 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've wondered, Ronny, given how you've been using your 135mm f/2 AI-s, if you have any interest in the Apo-Sonnar Zeiss? It seems you are already getting fantastic quasi-macro results with tubes as-is, however!

Georg, the PC lens does a fine job at the track meet! I would have never thought to apply a shift lens there, but it definitely works. A fine photo of your home town, too!

Forgive my singular subject matter, but I'm a little enamoured with her. All with the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s, either wide open or f/2, at the playground across the street from my building.

Crawling by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Reaching by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Swings by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Edited on May 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2884 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:

I had posted one photo of this series before, but to entice you to try the TC16a with the 600mm, this photo was taken with the 400mm 3.5 and the TC16a, found it best at shorter distances and 5.6 on the lens. This was taken at the minimum focusing distance of the 400mm which is 4.5M, your 600 at 6.5M would give roughly the same magnification, at 4.5M with extenders it would be 50% bigger. My D800 would focus the TC16a fast and hold onto the eagle eye as the focal point of interest as though it knew where
...Show more

stunning detail in that hawk's eye. One thing - did you use a normal TC-16a or a modded converter? I am not really able to find a clear answer on this, but there is a significant price difference between normal and modded.

Focusing the 600mm with the viewfinder is quite easy, so I figure the TC will have little problem to do the same to track small movements, but from what I understand the mod is all about a yes or no - works or doesn't work situation.

In the long run I'll probably get a tc-14e and a 16a.

It has been over a decade since I last used a lens like this and I now understand again why I didn't touch anything like it for that long - these things are optically so much better than anything else, it takes one look through the viewfinder to understand why they cost so much. Will post some samples I took in the back yard in a bit. I completely love this lens, just not very portable - the mail man backed up his truck into my driveway so he could drop it out the back into my garage...

May 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2884 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip, love the "Swings"-shot! It's lovely for sure, but also hilarious. Margot's hat looks like a classic sou'wester and she looks like a captain steering her ship ;-)
I'm glad that you like the track-meet series, thanks for your comment! My hometown-shot is unfortunately lacking a boat in the foreground.

May 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2884 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, your work work is truly fabulous!

Rafael, your absolutely brilliant hawk-shot (at your posting a few weeks ago) was the reason for me to check the current offers for the 400/3.5 here.
But based on a gut-feeling I've just spent my lens-budget on another fine MF-Nikkor... I still look for a nice 25-50/4, your work with MF-Nikkors fueled up my NMFAS quite a bit ;-)
Thanks for your comment on the track-shots, I'm glad you like this set.

Peter. love the bike-set! The vintage 135/2.8 works great in your hands.

John, amazing seascapes with the 400/5.6 again. The sky is fantastic on the ferry-shot and the lonely canoeist works fantastic as "bi-chromatic" image.

Philippe, the lantern-image is outstanding in it's simplicity (in the best meaning). I like simple things: images and photographs that don't show the whole world in color and 3d at once, and your fine shot is a wonderful example.
Merci for your comment, I'm really glad you like my side trip into the world of colors ;-)
I don't feel really comfortable with colors and thankful for critical remarks (my color-crisis is still in full bloom).

May 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2884 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Philip, love the "Swings"-shot! It's lovely for sure, but also hilarious. Margot's hat looks like a classic sou'wester and she looks like a captain steering her ship ;-)
I'm glad that you like the track-meet series, thanks for your comment! My hometown-shot is unfortunately lacking a boat in the foreground.

Hehe, she does now that you mention it. She doesn't much care for the hat herself, and is always quite proud when she pries it off her head!

May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2884 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
With all the 135-Q shots lately, decided to bust mine out of the bag... Couple of shots with the PK13...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/8828826684_ef9433c735_b.jpg
_DSC8425 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Kevin, this image is one of your very best photographs so far! It's brilliant in every way: as a nature-picture it is "just a beautiful and technically perfect shot", but it's also very powerful and loaded with symbolism, which lifts this shot out of the "nature"-category.
I hope this^ doesn't sound too crude, I can't wrap it up better in words ;-)
Thanks for your kind words on the track-shot, much appreciated!

May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
pburke
• • •
p.2884 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Boring test shot, but only boring until you zoom in. This is wide open f/4 with the 600mm AIS looking at our tree house, which is about 40-50 feet away from the lens at this angle. Red car in background is another 50 feet back.

f/4.0 1/800s ISO 200 on tripod

100% crop - note spider web and detail in screw heads. I always used to say when I shot race cars with the 600mm f4 that these lenses can see things no human can see with their bare eyes - I barely can see the screws from where the photo was taken

and here's that same crop when I tried it hand-held at 1/500s - yes, there is a difference. If the Photoshop camera shake filter can bring that back to the above clarity, I may just have to subscribe to the cloud version, but I am pretty skeptical

for the pixel peepers, here's a list of test shots using this frame as a reference at various apertures, center and two edge locations. I only adjusted exposure and white balance, no sharpening

image center

center left

top left

more lame tree house test shots (weather sucks here today), full frames at all apertures:
f/4.0
f/5.6
f/8
f/11
f/16
f/22

for rock solid support, my rather hefty Manfrotto video tripod with video fluid head is nowhere near strong enough - I had to use the self timer to shoot these to remove all camera shake

May 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.2884 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I saw some good light coming in, around my dining room hutch. I've nailed a great photo over there before, so I went back to the well, this time, with a totally urethral feel I think. D700/58mm NOCT 1.2

and 2 more.

May 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2884 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
stunning detail in that hawk's eye. One thing - did you use a normal TC-16a or a modded converter? I am not really able to find a clear answer on this, but there is a significant price difference between normal and modded.

Focusing the 600mm with the viewfinder is quite easy, so I figure the TC will have little problem to do the same to track small movements, but from what I understand the mod is all about a yes or no - works or doesn't work situation.

In the long run I'll probably get a tc-14e and a 16a.

It has
...Show more

I will give you a clear answer as I own both and have had the original unmodified for 20+ years!

The original TC16a will AF with an F4s, and several other film AF cameras, it may AF with some D2/s/x, it does not AF with a D200, D3, D800.

Moving the position of an electrical contact on the connector to the camera body, modifies the tc16a so that it will AF with the D200, D3, D800. (As well as D300, D700, D3s, D3x, D4, D800E, D7000 etc) It is a simple modification in principle, but tricky to do. I tried with my original TC16a and gave up. Bought the modified TC16a on e-bay in 2011 from this seller at about this price but in perfect condition. It has worked flawlessly. It autofocuses quite well once you get used to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modifed-Nikon-TC-16A-for-D200-D300-D700-D800-D3-MF-to-semi-AF-Excellent-Plus-/290920658564?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43bc38f684

A quotation from the posting

"This listing is for a modified TC-16A to be used on D200, D300, D700,D800, D7000 , D3 and D4 with Nikon Manual Focus AI, AIS and P lens as well as AF-D lens. Serial # 271640.

The item was professionally modified in Japan using most advanced technology. More than 100 sold so far.

The TC-16A was made to provide limited AF capacity for MF and AF-D lenses with 1.6 factor. In order to use it on D200, D300, D700, D800,D7000 , D3 and D4, it was modified professionally. The following gives the details how the modification was done:
http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/

The following video explains how the modified TC-16A works but my item may be different from what the video shows. They may be modified by different methods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-tPKSm9yxNs

Please make sure you understand the limitation of the modification before bidding. The combination is great to shoot still, Marco and slower moving objectives such as swimming birds or running kids. The standard practice with the TC-16A is to focus the lens manually to approximately within the range of sharp focus, then press the shutter button and have the TC-16A provide sharp focus."

PS: Curtis and Leighton allow the tc16a in this forum!

May 26, 2013 at 01:03 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2884 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:

The original TC16a will AF with an F4s, and several other film AF cameras, it may AF with some D2/s/x, it does not AF with a D200, D3, D800.

thank you Rafael, just what I wanted to know. I am sure I could do the mod myself, as I have done quite a bit of DIY electronics builds, but I'll only worry about that if I can find it at a price worth the effort.

May 26, 2013 at 01:13 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2884 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Ronny, your work work is truly fabulous!

Rafael, your absolutely brilliant hawk-shot (at your posting a few weeks ago) was the reason for me to check the current offers for the 400/3.5 here.
But based on a gut-feeling I've just spent my lens-budget on another fine MF-Nikkor... I still look for a nice 25-50/4, your work with MF-Nikkors fueled up my NMFAS quite a bit ;-)
Thanks for your comment on the track-shots, I'm glad you like this set.

Peter. love the bike-set! The vintage 135/2.8 works great in your hands.

John, amazing seascapes with the 400/5.6 again. The sky is fantastic on
...Show more

Thanks Georg, that photo was of the right eye, this one is the left.

Finding a 400mm 3.5 is easy, finding a good clean one with little use is hard and our posting will drive the price up by $300.

May 26, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2884 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another with the 50mm 1.2 Net up will be the 1.4

May 26, 2013 at 02:12 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2884 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Thanks Georg, that photo was of the right eye, this one is the left.

Finding a 400mm 3.5 is easy, finding a good clean one with little use is hard and our posting will drive the price up by $300.

A local guy on craiglist has had a mint version advertised for $2500 - about 2x too much . . . .

Otherwise I'd have a 500/4P or a 400/3.5 if I had not taken a recent foray into expensive Voigtlander land . . .

May 26, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2884 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8409/8832060188_43219e6921_b.jpg
nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 at 5.6 TC16A D800 Redtail Hawk 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael, gorgeous Hawk!

May 26, 2013 at 05:44 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2884 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Kevin, this image is one of your very best photographs so far! It's brilliant in every way: as a nature-picture it is "just a beautiful and technically perfect shot", but it's also very powerful and loaded with symbolism, which lifts this shot out of the "nature"-category.
I hope this^ doesn't sound too crude, I can't wrap it up better in words ;-)
Thanks for your kind words on the track-shot, much appreciated!

Danke schon for the compliment. I very much appreciate it. Incidentally, this it the first time I have tried split toning an image as well. It's very subtle, I got most of it right in camera, so I didn't do much beyond cropping. I spent a couple of minutes on this one in post where I spent probably ten minutes thinking about how I wanted to take the shot and actually taking it. I was also waiting on light as well.

May 26, 2013 at 06:18 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2884 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just a sample of using the 35mm 1.4 at 5,6 for one type of photo and at 1.4 for another.

nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4 D3 Rudy T Band at 5.6 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35mm 1.4 at 1.4 D3 Rudy T Band by Rafael CA, on Flickr

May 26, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2884 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff - thanks

Kevin - super sunflower and the "birth of a flower" is really good. Hard to believe that you were suffering from self doubt a while ago as these are very accomplished.

Ronny - great group. Just an aside - I got a very sweet message with one of my early waterbird shots on the nature forum asking me how ducks could swim uphill

Rafael - the Corvette and Harley are excellent and I still love the hawk.
You are also going to start a new mania for the 35 1.4 with those two very good images!

Georg - just more excellent images of the navy and the boys sprinting is amazing

Doug - good stuff with the candles.

Jorge - I like the B&W's

May 26, 2013 at 07:53 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2884 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jorge, lovely shots with the 50mm 1.2. The people dynamics in the second shot are intriguing.

Philippe, also fantastic 50mm B&W. Simple and powerful.

Rafael, a selection of nice shots, love the Harley especially - caught the dreamy quality of these machines perfectly.

Ronny, loads of fantastic sets, love your work with the 135 and tubes, also the ducklings, very cute.

Philip, cute series of Margot.

Georg, enjoyed the selection of the Navy and the S-boot. also liked the 85mm PC at the track meet, have you considered using this lens at the hockey one time? I was thinking you could get some interesting goal-mouth action shots with it.

Peter, nice work with the 135mm, I especially liked the bikes.

John, love the shot of the ferry with the 400mm. I have just found out that my nephew is moving to Seattle, having been accepted to study engineering there (he says you have a good University for aeronautical engineering?). However if I remember right he shoots canon so ineligible for this thread.

May 26, 2013 at 08:27 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password