1       2       3              2883      
       2885              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2884 #1 · p.2884 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Wonderful colors and composition in the sunrise image John.

Thanks Scott!

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:33 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2884 #2 · p.2884 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
John, the sunrise-shot is nothing short of spectacular!

Thanks Georg!

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2884 #3 · p.2884 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

StonePhotog wrote:
I really like these two shots John.

Heh, there were supposed to be pictures here. C&C on my posting is appreciated!

So let me say, I'm talking about the sunset shot at the airport and the shot of the wide open field in South Dakota.

Thanks - sometimes the quick grab shots turn out to be worthwhile while the carefully planned purposeful ones not so much.

- J

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:41 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2884 #4 · p.2884 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You're right Andy, shooting with tubes is a different experience. You lose infinity focus so it becomes essential to find a shooting distance that allows you to find focus. You can't simply rely on the focusing ring to get you there. You might want to read the first post in the Shooting with Tubes thread I started in the Macro World in which I give an overview of the subject. I'm no expert but I've learned a few things over time about using them. They can be both challenging and rewarding. And a 12mm tube is a great length for a 50mm lens. Keep shooting.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:42 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2884 #5 · p.2884 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So, it seems to me like we need another census in this thread - a lot of newcomers lately (which is a really great thing) and I'm not sure who is who and what their first names are.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2884 #6 · p.2884 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I agree with comments above John. That airport shot is quite wonderful. Yes, serendipity is a big part of photography. All that is needed is an available camera...

Enjoy your Seattle summer...

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2884 #7 · p.2884 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
So, it seems to me like we need another census in this thread - a lot of newcomers lately (which is a really great thing) and I'm not sure who is who and what their first names are.

This is where a brief autobiographical section in one's profile would be useful. We've discussed how best to do this in the past. When Monty was active he collected biographical statements posted in the thread. That was a very enjoyable process as I recall. But he is seldom here. We also spoke of a separate wiki in which we could do that but this site works too well to consider something like that. I think I'll suggest Fred add a bio section to the profile in which we can say a bit more about ourselves.

In the meantime, you can encourage folks to add their first name to their current profile, which a number of us regularly do. We are fortunate that new folks keep finding us. I imagine this thread will still be going strong for a long, long time. These lenses are THAT good...

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:49 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2884 #8 · p.2884 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, can only agree with the others, amazing sunrise shot.

Here's one more portrait with the 55mm. He's the Scrum-Half for my rugby team and the only player older than me.

I love the sharpness of this lens wide opened but it's a good example of how the background rendering can be a bit busy on the hedge in the background.

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2884 #9 · p.2884 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, I amended my brief bio in my profile to make it a bit more of an introduction to myself. That might be all we need. You may wish to think about how you would introduce yourself to folks on this thread and amend your profile to include that information. That may be the simplest way to keep track of one another. Check out what I added to see what you think.

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2884 #10 · p.2884 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

How 'bout a google drive excel for that?
I may have saved Monty's original file, names linked to their FM handles
Don't quite remember where in my hdd I kept it though, and don't really remember there were nuggets of bio info

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2884 #11 · p.2884 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
John, can only agree with the others, amazing sunrise shot.

Here's one more portrait with the 55mm. He's the Scrum-Half for my rugby team and the only player older than me.

I love the sharpness of this lens wide opened but it's a good example of how the background rendering can be a bit busy on the hedge in the background.

Very nice portrait Mark.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:17 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2884 #12 · p.2884 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
John, I amended my brief bio in my profile to make it a bit more of an introduction to myself. That might be all we need. You may wish to think about how you would introduce yourself to folks on this thread and amend your profile to include that information. That may be the simplest way to keep track of one another. Check out what I added to see what you think.

Looks good Curtis, but I'd put your name at the beginning.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:17 PM
jaredvanb

p.2884 #13 · p.2884 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John... What an absolutely gobsmacking photograph of the sunset at the airport... I am in love with it!!

Good point regarding the names... There are so many guys posting here it is difficult to keep track of who is who haha!

Hoping to get out tomorrow to shoot a little again with the Series E... Fingers crossed haha

Keep the great images coming guys!

Cheers for now
Jared

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:19 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.2884 #14 · p.2884 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mark, nice shot of the scrummie, as a player, and a coach I can appreciate old boy rugby!, I am sure his ears will show the years in the scrum!
John, that sunset is off the hook, I would be selling that one 16x20.
The mountain shots are also great, not sure who to credit, this moves quick!

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2884 #15 · p.2884 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not common for me
But I loved the symmetry
Succulent by the roadside
While waiting for the morning ferry

inhale hold by Zichar, on Flickr

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:26 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.2884 #16 · p.2884 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Found this lens yesterday, Walked into my camera store and swapped a Tamron Macro for it. No serial number plate, no real markings at all. it is 300 2.8 has 39 mm filter and close focus to 3. All I can find is 300 ed-if but this doesn't have a gold ring? took the pic with a 20 f4 and plan on getting some images later for those interested in a 20mm. thanks

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:26 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2884 #17 · p.2884 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
A couple more from the recent trip to South Dakota - both with the 45/2.8 AI-P taken on the way back home.

I agree with the others, GREAT!

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:28 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2884 #18 · p.2884 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

amlsml wrote:
Found this lens yesterday, Walked into my camera store and swapped a Tamron Macro for it. No serial number plate, no real markings at all. it is 300 2.8 has 39 mm filter and close focus to 3. All I can find is 300 ed-if but this doesn't have a gold ring? took the pic with a 20 f4 and plan on getting some images later for those interested in a 20mm. thanks

Oh my gosh! You swapped a Tammy macro for this? Looks like the AI version:

You made out in this trade.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2884 #19 · p.2884 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Looks good Curtis, but I'd put your name at the beginning.

I have my full name in the next section with the list of gear. Do you think I should move it to the bio above?

I checked your profile and would suggest only one addition... something about the fact you manage two farmers' markets in Staunton. You might also want to include a link to your website for your farm. No reason not to do a bit of advertising...

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2884 #20 · p.2884 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I have my full name in the next section with the list of gear. Do you think I should move it to the bio above?

I checked your profile and would suggest only one addition... something about the fact you manage two farmers' markets in Staunton. You might also want to include a link to your website for your farm. No reason not to do a bit of advertising...

Yea, I think it would be better at the beginning. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll work on mine when I get the chance.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password