1       2       3              2881      
       2883              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2882 #1 · p.2882 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
I was in the countryside in a field trip with students, unfortunately not many time for shooting.

One nightsky shot far from big cities. I was trying to capture Scorpius constellation (Antares is the brighest star at ~centre), but I think the milkway portion of Sagittarius revealed more interesting. I used the scalloped 28/2.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/9240047789_a45f189da0_b.jpg
Scorpius and Sagittarius regions with Nikkor-N.C 28mm f/2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

South nightsky showing Scorpius (centre) and Sagittarius (left bottom - milkway) region.
D600 + Nikkor-N.C 28mm f/2 C ai'd + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2.8 at 15 sec exposure; ~15% crop of an already DX crop
...Show more

Wonderful night sky image Jose. It must have been an area without any man-made light.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:25 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2882 #2 · p.2882 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg beautiful bokeh on those photos especially the last one - amazing!
Georg you have put into words my exact feelings about those focal lengths. I had never thought of the 35 with that exact description, but it sums it up entirely. Your thoughts on the other lenses certainly entertains a lot of thought and I believe that you have nailed them as well
As individuals we are drawn to certain lenses which is why I love fixed lenses as opposed to zooms. I found that with a zoom I am always at one end or the other

georgms wrote:
Thanks, Ray!
I prefer primes over zooms too, but one of the reasons for it is irrational for sure: I fear I could become a "lazy" photographers if I get a superb zoom like Nikon's AF-S 24-70/2.8. Sometimes I miss good shots because I'm changing lenses in "the" moment, and many times another focal-length would have been a better fit for a given subject, but I can't get over irrational fear ;-)
This thread made me think more about lenses, focal-lengths and so on. One result is that I use the fantastic AF-S 14-24/2.8G a lot less because my compositions with the
...Show more
leighton w wrote:
What do you end up using more in your work?

georgms wrote:
Leighton, that's a difficult question. I've always grabbed the 28mm when I didn't wanted to go superwide. It works better in tight quarters/in a crowd than the 35mm, which works very well for me for more casual shooting.
The joy to "play" with effects leads to a high percentage of images taken with the 16/3.5-fisheye, one of the Tilt/Shift-lenses or something fast like the 55/1.2

Well they say that the 28mm is the news photographers friend while shooting in a crowd.

And you're right, I tend to shoot longer than 50mm, I like to isolate my subjects.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:35 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2882 #3 · p.2882 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
I was in the countryside in a field trip with students, unfortunately not many time for shooting.

One nightsky shot far from big cities. I was trying to capture Scorpius constellation (Antares is the brighest star at ~centre), but I think the milkway portion of Sagittarius revealed more interesting. I used the scalloped 28/2.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/9240047789_a45f189da0_b.jpg
Scorpius and Sagittarius regions with Nikkor-N.C 28mm f/2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

South nightsky showing Scorpius (centre) and Sagittarius (left bottom - milkway) region.
D600 + Nikkor-N.C 28mm f/2 C ai'd + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2.8 at 15 sec exposure; ~15% crop of an already DX crop
...Show more

Wow!!! This is awesome!

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:36 PM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2882 #4 · p.2882 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

they have more stars in the southern hemisphere, I think

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:45 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #5 · p.2882 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
they have more stars in the southern hemisphere, I think

They're all likely setting at the bottom...

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:30 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #6 · p.2882 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Guess what I'm doing...

Shot with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd.

Today was moving day at Sue's apartment. Three strapping young men were in the bedroom preparing furniture for the move and Sue was demonstrating her muscles. I finally got home about an hour ago. It has been a pretty exhausting couple of weeks though Sue has done the hardest work... packing boxes, many of which I moved to the storage locker. It is still an open question where Sue will ultimately land, but at least the hard part is over. Fifteen years worth of living with all that is accumulated along the way. The next chapter begins...

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:34 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #7 · p.2882 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm loving the conversation about preferred focal lengths. When I was shooting Canon I'd occasionally check lens usage and by far the most used focal length for me was the 85. Of course, I owned the EF 85 f/1.2L which is still to my mind my favorite lens. It was for that reason my first lens purchase as i began my Nikon adventure was an 85 f/1.8D soon followed by the 85 f/1.4D that I still own. At the moment I have three 85mm MF lenses, including the wonderful f/1.4 AI-s. I recommend it to my friends. As Ray has noted, I specifically brought the 85 f/1.4 AI-s for my visit to Florida with the intention of tempting him. In fact, I hooked him with both the 85 and the 35 f/1.4 aI-s.

During my time with Nikon shooting manual focus it has been clear to me that I'd rather go wider or longer that use mid-range lenses. I prefer the 28 over a 35. I've developed a taste for a 50 and more recently a 55. But now my heart seems to belong to 105 and 135. I love shooting with the 180 and the 300 but as Leighton noted, I enjoy isolating subjects. Yes, that is very different than street photography in which the action of the moment captures the viewer's attention. Even when I'm shooting on the street I'm inclined to go long to get close shots.

I guess Nikon makes lenses at a variety of focal lengths because photographers all have their own unique way of approaching their work/craft/play. I stopped with Sue this afternoon at a gallery in the neighborhood and listened to her talk about an artist whose paintings are in a very different style from what Sue has been doing as an advanced beginner. I was surprised to hear her say that her work may very well move in a different direction. I'd never used extension tubes before discovering Nikon MF lenses. And I'd never shot at 105 or with a 16mm fisheye. I've learned a great deal over the last three years and continue to explore how best to utilize the equipment I have. And I always take inspiration from folks on this thread. Thanks to all for being exactly the photographer you are...

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:46 PM
StonePhotog
• •
p.2882 #8 · p.2882 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread indeed moves very fast! As I mentioned a few pages back, here are a few shots I took last week. The birds and the dragonfly were taken with the 500 f4 p, while the beetle was taken with my "new" 55 f3.5 Micro. I'd love to hear C&C on any or all of them.

Thanks!

Indigo Bunting

Eastern Bluebird

Dragon Fly - Next time I'll use the tubes!

Japanese Beetle? Should have stopped down a few stops...

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:52 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.2882 #9 · p.2882 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This one just showed up in my backyard. 300mm f4.5 @4.5

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:20 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #10 · p.2882 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'd like to live in your neighborhood Chuong... Wait a minute... we have deer wandering down from the hills quite regularly, enough so that many folks deer proof their gardens. Lovely shot with a fine lens...

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #11 · p.2882 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yes, this is definitely a fast moving thread. I compared this thread with the other big boy on FM, the Mustang thread in the People forum. They've been at it much longer and have created two very large threads, the original of which was archived. But despite their size, we're adding posts at a much faster rate. I doubt we'll catch them and that wouldn't matter anyway. It does, however, demonstrate the enthusiasm felt by those of us committed to shooting with MF Nikon lenses. Once you've found them, it is hard to put the camera down...

Always nice to see photos from the 500 f/4 AI-p on the thread. I'm especially fond of the first one, both for its composition but also for the gorgeous colors. Wonderful separation between the bird and its perch and the luscious background so beautifully rendered by this lens. Ahh, the joys of a good tripod... 1/100th of a second at 500mm. The results are quite stunning.

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:59 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2882 #12 · p.2882 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Jose, that's a fantastic shot of the milky-way! In fact, after I got a preview of this shot over at flickr I hastily started the "Stellarium"-program to check if I could see Scorpius and Sagittarius over here too ;-) Thanks for sharing!

Jose, +1 to Georg's comment. Great shot.
Georg, after reading your comment I had to discover and install the Stellarium program. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:57 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #13 · p.2882 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Couldn't agree more Jose. That is a great shot... makes me want to buy another lens, but then I know it wouldn't get me images like this one. I'd need to travel to the desert or the mountains, and buy a tripod. Much too much work... I'll have to leave it to you and John to entertain me... Wonderful work.

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:04 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2882 #14 · p.2882 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Really great portrait of your daughter Philippe.

Very nice shots from the mountain walk Roland, lovely to end up in Ticino and then let on the old SBB take you home.

Curtis, glad part 1 of the move has gone well for Sue and you had at least one opportunity for a portrait. The lighting seems to be coming from below, was it early in the morning or was there a reflection off something?

Georg, two nice shots front eh 105, ye the background is much nicer of the second for the subject matter.

Jay, nice work with the 500mm and the 55. Yes, the 55 gives quite some narrow DoF in micro mode doesn't it!

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:05 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #15 · p.2882 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Now this is something I can do... take a closeup of the abundant sunflowers I encounter in and around San Anselmo... this taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd with the PK-13 attached. I'm very aware that despite a shorter focal length the longer extension tube gives me less working room than the 20mm Vivitar on the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd I've been using of late. The longer the lens, the longer the tube needs to be to get close. I should probably try the PN-11 with the 135 to see how that works.

My bee is standing rather still. Ronny still is the master of insects in flight...

A little bit of bokeh play in an artsy composition with the same combination. Both shot at f/8. Tubes dramatically narrow the focal plane, so stopping down becomes important if one wants much of anything in focus.

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:09 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2882 #16 · p.2882 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Mark. It was perhaps 9:30 a.m. and the light was coming from an open door facing east. The light was quite splendid for this candid. We're both rather exhausted at the moment. She is staying with friends for a few days. This has been and will likely continue to be a challenging process. Marin is one of the more expensive places to live in the Bay Area, and hence in the country and neither Sue nor I have significant resources. It has been a challenge for her to find a home she can afford in a rental market that is rising rapidly. We still don't know how this will unfold.

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:13 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2882 #17 · p.2882 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A couple more from the recent trip to South Dakota - both with the 45/2.8 AI-P taken on the way back home.

Time To Leave - Last Chance to Pick Flowers

Sunrise After The Storm - Waiting To Get Home

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:48 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2882 #18 · p.2882 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, the sunrise-shot is nothing short of spectacular!

Curtis, nice to see that your 24/2.8 NC still gets some action (despite your love for flower-shots). Very nice and eye-pleasing use of the 24mm (read: no dramatic composition, I'm referring to my concoction about focal-lengths on the last page ;-).

Chuong, "Bambi" looks a bit scraggy. I hope it found some strenghtening food in your garden Very nice capture, I like the eye-contact.

Jay, very nice set! I like especially the "Eastern Bluebird" for it's composition.

Thanks for the comments on the flowers taken with the 105/4 Micro + D2h!

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:45 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2882 #19 · p.2882 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A quick shot, literally taken out of the car-window (engine shut off) - behind the hedge is a small port-basin with some small boats.
The traditional wooden mast caught my eye, the life-ring-container too.
The power pole at the right side is disturbing, but I prefer to live with imperfections rather than cloning out ugly stuff ;-)

Sommer von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Ais 105/1.8 at f/2, D3s in 30x24-crop-mode, cropped to an imperfect square format...

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:51 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2882 #20 · p.2882 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Leighton and Bert: thanks for your comments on the portraits!

Here's an image shot yesterday at the local river. I was playing with the built-in-filters of the neat 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor and also with the in-camera-filter-settings.
I've lost track what kind of filter(s) was used for this image, if memory serves it was the yellow-filter on both lens and in camera (shot as monochrome JPEG):
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/9237342009_7c6f7355aa_b.jpg
an der Warnow von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a messy shot without clear composition, but I like it somehow

Very nice, Georg ... love that look you are getting.

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password