1       2       3              2868      
       2870              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2869 #1 · p.2869 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Beautiful work Bert. Hand held? How did you have the lens and camera set up? These are very sharp photos so you were clearly doing something very right...

Enjoy your long weekend Bert. Hopefully, you'll get a bit of a break from the heat as we're experiencing at the moment.

Thx Curtis,

Not handheld I am afraid. I used a tripod and remote trigger cord to keep camera shake to a minimum. The focus was set on infinity, the aperture around F11 and the shutter speed set to "bulb".
After a few rounds , I was able to estimate where the fireworks would go up. I timed the shutter every time it looked one was going to go up. and kept it open long enough for the trails to develop. I was lucky that a lot of folks in our area decided to light up quite a few this year.

Bert

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:24 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2869 #2 · p.2869 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Amazing fireworks everyone! Mine was the wrong choice of lens, 2.8cm 3.5H, so heavily cropped. This is the first time I set up a tripod, if anyone can get handheld shots of fireworks, that's way more than my capability Tried 5, 6, or 8 seconds I think for most of the shots yesterday.

5 sec

5 sec

8 sec

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:27 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2869 #3 · p.2869 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very nice Samy. You guys impress me.

This is the best I can do, hand held with the 28 f/2.8 AI-s wide open... I've posted this before and it is clearly a better street photo than fireworks photo. Also a close crop. I took it in Rotterdam during their Port Days celebration.

I took quite a few photos. I think I need to go back and see if I got anything decent of real fireworks.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:33 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2869 #4 · p.2869 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great tips to try for next time Bert and thanks for sharing!

Remote sounds like the way to go, my cheapo one broke and I am wondering if should just get the expensive Nikon one.

And I really like the idea of using the Bulb setting. I would watch for one to go off and fire the 5-8 sec shot. But the shutter was invariably closing down before the set going off completed.

Samy

adh67 wrote:
Thx Curtis,

Not handheld I am afraid. I used a tripod and remote trigger cord to keep camera shake to a minimum. The focus was set on infinity, the aperture around F11 and the shutter speed set to "bulb".
After a few rounds , I was able to estimate where the fireworks would go up. I timed the shutter every time it looked one was going to go up. and kept it open long enough for the trails to develop. I was lucky that a lot of folks in our area decided to light up quite a few this year.

Bert

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:36 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2869 #5 · p.2869 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You got some good ones Samy. I agree on the lens choice though. Unless you are really close the 28 may be a little too wide (even on a DX). I started with the 28 f 3.5 but changed to the 50 and 135 real quick.

Here are a few more.

135mm F3.5

135mm F 3.5

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:41 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2869 #6 · p.2869 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great fireworks shots everyone! Rafael, love the red cast in yours, and Matt, always good to see you posting on the thread again!

A few from my trip to Zürich, where I had both the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s and 105mm f/1.8 AI-s with me. The purpose of my trip was to interview for a position at the Universität Zürich, the science departments having moved to the suburban Irchel campus that features brutalist 70s era architecture that would fit in moreso in Canada than Europe, but I've learned that the Swiss have very curious architecture all over. Here's a shot with the 28mm of the sun setting on the "new" university buildings.

Universität Zürich - Irchel by philipjohnson, on Flickr

The "old" main UZH building situated in the city centre has a more conventional view of what you'd think an ancient city in Europe might look like. This was taken from the 5th floor of the Universität Zürich Zentrum building, looking towards the Zürichsee (Lake Zürich). 28mm.

Towards the Zürichsee by philipjohnson, on Flickr

On the tour of the old town with Mark, I took this stitched photo (using the 105mm) of a back doorway of the Grossmünster church, the site of the protestant reformation in Switzerland. I later learned this building houses the theological wing of the UZH too.

Grossmünster eingang by philipjohnson, on Flickr

And one from the main shopping street, Bahnhofstrasse, a moody shot of a man waiting for a tram. 28 again.

Waiting by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:44 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2869 #7 · p.2869 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, thanks, a tripod (of if you can rest the camera on something stable), is really essential. Capturing long enough trails takes several seconds so handholding limits one to shorter displays (of course going by all the rock steady handheld flower images you post you probably have some good images).

Bert's idea of using the bulb setting sounds the best bet.

CGrindahl wrote:

Very nice Samy. You guys impress me.

This is the best I can do, hand held with the 28 f/2.8 AI-s wide open... I've posted this before and it is clearly a better street photo than fireworks photo. Also a close crop. I took it in Rotterdam during their Port Days celebration.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xdFs3KAXnj0/TP3BdRbtPUI/AAAAAAAAFYI/1MwMtPOfP58/s842/FireworksCloseup02.jpg

I took quite a few photos. I think I need to go back and see if I got anything decent of real fireworks.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jaredvanb

p.2869 #8 · p.2869 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
This time the computer worked.

50-300mm 4.5 ED ais D800 San Diego Bay Fireworks, July 4th 2013. Orig size in Flickr. San Diego low clouds, smoke, and water reflect the light.

Happy Fourth.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/9214843276_d98d5a8173_b.jpg
nikon nikkor 50-300mm ED ais D800 San Diego Fireworks 4th July 2013 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Wow!

What a fantastic photograph Rafael... I am at a loss for words right now... Stunning!!

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2869 #9 · p.2869 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very impressive Bert and thanks for sharing your technique. If I ever get serious enough to invest in a tripod I'll become more adventurous. But a reasonably steady hand is all I can do. Here is another shot from Rotterdam taken with a wide open 28 f/2.8 AI-s at 1/40th of a second. Again, this is a better street photo than fireworks photo, though it was the fireworks that made this shot possible.

This is the Erasmus bridge sometimes called "the Swan."

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:47 PM
adh67
• • •
p.2869 #10 · p.2869 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Very impressive Bert and thanks for sharing your technique. If I ever get serious enough to invest in a tripod I'll become more adventurous. But a reasonably steady hand is all I can do. Here is another shot from Rotterdam taken with a wide open 28 f/2.8 AI-s at 1/40th of a second. Again, this is a better street photo than fireworks photo, though it was the fireworks that made this shot possible.

I like that one a lot, the bridge framing the firework is a nice touch.

Bert

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2869 #11 · p.2869 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5r_48XkzoyI/TI0PIu23uNI/AAAAAAAADUs/HwBSLBdA7D0/s1000/Fireworks01.jpg

Very cool composition, maybe very hot composition as it has fire-works

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:08 PM
jaredvanb

p.2869 #12 · p.2869 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

philipj wrote:
Great fireworks shots everyone! Rafael, love the red cast in yours, and Matt, always good to see you posting on the thread again!

A few from my trip to Zürich, where I had both the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s and 105mm f/1.8 AI-s with me. The purpose of my trip was to interview for a position at the Universität Zürich, the science departments having moved to the suburban Irchel campus that features brutalist 70s era architecture that would fit in moreso in Canada than Europe, but I've learned that the Swiss have very curious architecture all over. Here's a shot with the
...Show more

Philip, lovely to see some 28mm f/2.8 AI-s shots... Currently the lens I am obsessing over as I battle to find one in my price range!

Was this shot taken with the focus set to infinity? Looks super sharp!

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:10 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2869 #13 · p.2869 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jaredvanb wrote:
Philip, lovely to see some 28mm f/2.8 AI-s shots... Currently the lens I am obsessing over as I battle to find one in my price range!

Was this shot taken with the focus set to infinity? Looks super sharp!

Yes, this would have been focused for infinity, and it was set at f/11, where you need to be if you want the corners to not look too muddled. It's a great little lens, Chuong (raboof) is even selling his on the boards right now!

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:16 PM
jaredvanb

p.2869 #14 · p.2869 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Went for a hike today in Wind Cave National Park and the weather was looking iffy - and it turned out to be iffy as lightning started firing up in the not-so-far distance, wind cranked up, and a few rain drops started falling before we quickly retreated back to the cars.

Short hike, but spectacular views!

45/2.8 AI-P & 16/3.5 AI

John, nice series of images! What are the odds that we both posted a trail marker with the number 9 on it, from different sides of the globe!

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2869 #15 · p.2869 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the Zurich photos Philip, a fine mix of color and black and white... good choices all. The burning question, however, is does it look like a place you'd like to work? Spending time in Switzerland and getting paid for it seems like a dream come true... at least it would for me. Of course, if the position were in Italy, I'd probably be even happier. Good luck with the job hunt.

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2869 #16 · p.2869 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Rafael. I was with Rinie's family after we'd shared a few rounds of drinks at her apartment which was about a hundred yards from where we stood. It may have been the alcohol or the splendor of the night, but I took probably a hundred photos. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that a few of them would turn out. I was trying hard to capture a trolley with fireworks in the air, and finally succeeded.

But this is small potatoes Rafael. You offer the main course with your set of images. Outstanding work.

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:40 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2869 #17 · p.2869 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philip, beautiful Swiss scape. I have only read in novels descriptions of Zurichsee and the area, good to see in an image.

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:48 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2869 #18 · p.2869 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks for the Zurich photos Philip, a fine mix of color and black and white... good choices all. The burning question, however, is does it look like a place you'd like to work? Spending time in Switzerland and getting paid for it seems like a dream come true... at least it would for me. Of course, if the position were in Italy, I'd probably be even happier. Good luck with the job hunt.

So far no decisions have been made, and I likely won't make any for some time yet. It seemed like an eminently livable city though, with amazingly complete and frequent public transit, walkable streets, and a great lake in the centre of it all. But also frightfully expensive on a single salary. Figuring out the work situation for my better half would go a long way to making the decision easier, so that's what I'm working on now... and weighing it all against moving away from Margot's grandparents with ~10 hours of flying. Decisions, decisions...

Jul 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2869 #19 · p.2869 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Samy! Sadly I didn't get a good picture of the alps, which can be taken from the tip of the Zürichsee on a clear day. Even on the clearest day, the air was hazy enough to limit my view...

Jul 05, 2013 at 04:02 PM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2869 #20 · p.2869 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 50-300mm ed ais needs a monopod or tripod but on one it is very easy to zoom and focus, smooth actions for such a big and heavy lens. No doubt there are better lenses out there, with newer optics, VR VI, AFS, but for practical results this lens is very competent at a fraction of the $2800 for an 80-400 zoom. Proof is in the pudding, which was served earlier, these are more standard shots to showcase the lens:

At the Bay taken with a 55mm, so this is the 55mm perspective at the location

nikon nikkor 50-300mm D800 San Diego Bay by Rafael CA, on Flickr

At the fair, a little charro marinba.

nikon nikkor 50-300mm ed ais D800 San Diego Del Mar Charros by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This one is a real Jewel, I have a lot of Jewels from yesterday, will stop posting for a couple of days while I process and show you the best of the lot.

Nikon nikkor 50-300mm 4.5 ed ais Del Mar Fair Mexican folk dance D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop of the Jewel

Nikon nikkor 50-300mm 4.5 ed ais Del Mar Fair Mexican folk dance D800 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A fully zoomed view of San Diego, so this is the 300mm perpective, compare to the 55mm at top, one of the fireworks barges is at the bottom left, but it is not sharp as it was moving.

nikon nikkor 50-300mm D800 San Diego Bay 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now the 100% crop, this lens is better than my technique

nikon nikkor 50-300mm D800 San Diego Bay crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Jul 05, 2013 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password