Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2866      
       2868              4187       4188       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2867 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Not enough images of cats and dogs recently, so here's a few feline photos:

5.8cm 1.4S, at f2.

5.8cm 1.4S, wide open

105cm 2.5P, early version, wide open

May 18, 2013 at 08:58 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2867 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis, Chuong, Leighton, Ray, Georg, Rafael, Jeff, Scott and Samy.

Curtis, lovely flowers as usual, with the 85/1.8 H and the 200/QC;

Jeff, loved the bokehs of the coral tree set;

Ronny, another killer BIF (bee in flight) - impressive details;

Paul, welcome back and very nice set from northeast France;

Scott, great landscapes with the micro 105/4, once more showing the capabilities of this macro lens at infinity;

Peter (SA), great sunset pano;

Ray, beautiful sunset sets, liked the most with the egret; and nice eagle family;

Chuong, liked your morning dew;

Kevin, great macros; glad you are recovering;

Samy, lovely cats, liked the most the last one in B&W.

Edited on May 19, 2013 at 02:51 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 09:00 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2867 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well Curtis, you might be creating a "monster"

During this busy week I made a preliminary 105mm + 135/2 bokeh "battle"; but conditions were not ideal (no sun to reflect in the background leaves, and I did not include neither the 105/2.8 micro nor the 105-PC. Who knows one day I will perform a more complete test.
Anyway here we go:
All shots straight from the camera/no edit (except cropping) - ViewNX2 conversion to jpge - FastStone Viewer - Printscreen command - CS5 resizing - save to web format.

Just as a reference this is the general scene with the reddish rectangle showing the cropped area. The subject is truly a "banal" palm leaf at ~6m, with three leaves some 20-25m behind.

Nikkor 105mm-bokeh-battle-general-scene by labecoaves, on Flickr

Wide open:

105Px105gaussx135f2-wide-open by labecoaves, on Flickr

At f/2.8:

105Px105gaussx135f2-at-f28 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Surprisingly the 1964 made Sonnar appears to be as good or even slight better () than the Gauss AI version, but the Queen seems to be the 135mmf/2, even at f/2.8.

Edited on May 19, 2013 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2867 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks
Great shot Samy
Good test that Jose ... and interesting

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

May 18, 2013 at 09:21 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2867 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, very nicely done halo of colorful bokeh at the cathedral, and Peter (Knysa), equal praise for your image of the girl with the background bokeh at the Christmas fair. Peter, of the street shots that second to last one has an interesting symmetrical expression on all of the people, they seem to be looking a bit anxiously to the side. Makes me curious what was going on there.

Rafael, that enchanted creature with the grass growing out of its head in the elfin forest is the most fun.

Ronny, you are capturing great light and color on those flowers up north!

Jose, very interesting test of the 105s against the 135 f2. With some more sun and highlights you may get even more separation among the lenses. My Sonnar 105 is early 1967. Interestingly enough looking at the photosynthesis site there were 15 variations of the 105 2.5P lens, only the last two series being the all black version. None of the other Nikon DSLR lenses have that many variations.

Some day I will match up Sonnar version against the AI and the 105 1.8 AIS, once I get a good test scene figured out.

May 18, 2013 at 09:56 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2867 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
what does the original hood do for me?

Peter, IMHO the hood isuseful for at least 2 things:
1) it protects the frontal lens element;
2) in some weird light conditions, it controlls flare and ghosts, also avoiding or minimizing loss of contrast.

This is an illustration with the 50-135mm on a tripod, without vs. with hood (HN-23, similar-sized to the HN-24):

Nikkor-50-135mm-at-135mm-without-x-with-hood by labecoaves, on Flickr

The subject was the Sonnar 105/2.5 P made in 1964.
As today there was no sun here, just rain and many clouds, I used a spotlight pointing against the 50-135 front at a 45 angle from the left. I suppose the sun would deliver a similar result.

Edited on May 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

May 18, 2013 at 09:57 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2867 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Samy and Ronny.

Samy, looking forward for your tests.
Ronny, the last two flower are superb!

May 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2867 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, very interesting bokeh-comparison again and nicely illustrated benefit of using a hood (I hope you don't show us the the protection-affect of a metal-hood ).
Btw, no, the 50-135/3.5 from your link is not on the way to me (I don't like the shortest nominal focusing distance for my style of shooting). Hopefully another thread-contributor will the new user of this lens (the price seems to be fair).

Thanks for your comment on the camel-shot, much appreciated!

May 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2867 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny, another beautifully done series with the 135/2 and 36mm-tube! My personal favorite is the last shot.

Samy, very nice work ^! I especially like your B&W-shot of the building next to the log-cabin. The framing is really great and the B&W-conversion a nice match for the stone-textures!

Rafael, love your "enchanted creatures"! Fantastic use of the super-fast 55/1.2. I always like some blur in the foreground to add "depth" to a picture. The "car-shot" is wonderful too - can't wait for the next friday ;-)
Btw, your contributions are one of the reasons why I hope to win the auction for a nice 25-50/4 Ais... And: I'm glad you like the art-show-shots. Thanks for your comment.

Peter from Knysna, nice work from the streets of Franschhoek. I like the second shot the most, the waiter seems to be alert, which adds (together with the unsharp foreground) a bit of "suspense" to your image. "Bedankt" for your words on the giant-wheel-shot!

May 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2867 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:

Thanks for your comments, Jeff, much appreciated!

I can't imagine how the world looks in 3D, it must be really hard to deal with this issue (stereoblindness) after a life with stereo-vision.
Hopefully it's not a problem for you anymore (did you pour coffee behind the cup, a typical incident for stereoblind people).
At least two other pro-photogs in my kinda small town are stereo-blind too, it seems to lead to another way of perception (maybe an advantage for painters or photographers?).
You're more than welcome to borrow my approaches to get depth into my images ;-) These approaches are not exactly new and for sure not my unique inventions...

May 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

designdog
• •
p.2867 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Peter, IMHO the hood isuseful for at least 2 things:
1) it protects the frontal lens element;
2) in some weird light conditions, it controlls flare and ghosts, also avoiding or minimizing loss of contrast.

This is an illustration with the 50-135mm on a tripod, without vs. with hood (HN-23, similar-sized to the HN-24):

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2858/8751942124_72f3e5ae0e_b.jpg
Nikkor-50-135mm-at-135mm-without-x-with-hood by labecoaves, on Flickr

The subject was the Sonnar 105/2.5 P made in 1964.
As today there was no sun here, just rain and many clouds, I used a spotlight pointing against the 50-135 front at a 45 angle from the left. I suppose the sun would deliver a similar result.

Good thing, as I bought this lens as soon as I saw your post!

May 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2867 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Happy to know the 50-135 stayed in the family. It is a beautiful looking lens at a very fair price given its condition. I don't often mount my copy but I'm never disappointed in performance when I do.

Jose, you definitely deserve accolades as the devil's adjutant... You're a very serious advocate for these lenses and back up your comments with first rate comparison shots as in your recent 105 and 135mm offering. Somehow I'm not surprised with how well the Sonnar performed. I've been delighted with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd I bought some months ago. It gives nothing up to the Gauss version. And yes, the 135 f/2 is in a class by itself... though I have to wonder how the 105 f/1.8 AI-s would fare. That too is a very sweet lens that produces a lovely bokeh. Perhaps another test is in order... I don't think you own that lens... I just checked and you don't. But you DO have 32 manual focus lenses, including the two monsters at 600 and 800mm. That makes perfect sense given the fact you're an ornithologist. You need REACH to get to those birds...

Only two more MF lenses and you'll have caught up with me... I think I'm finished buying... though I've said that before...

Edited on May 19, 2013 at 01:08 AM · View previous versions

May 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2867 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I heard a call for dog and cat photos... here's my contribution... a dog sniffing flowers, shot with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd...

And with the same lens, a look inside a magnolia flower that was about fifteen feet in the air... this a 100% crop, shot wide open.

Although I thought some time ago that I'd reached the end of my lens buying, in fact, pre-AI lenses that had been converted changed the tune. Subsequently, I added 10 such lenses to my kit. Amazing how seductive this adventure can become. However, it is still a relatively inexpensive hobby. I spoke with a neighbor this afternoon who with his son have been rebuilding old bicycles. He pointed to one beauty they'd created and said it cost $1,400 for the bicycle and the parts required to rebuild it. I believe it was a 1939 bicycle. That's more than my TWO most expensive lenses combined and certainly more than the 10 pre-AI lenses I added to my kit in the last year...

May 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2867 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread keeps adding images so fast, hard to keep up. Some great shots again and I will have to go back tomorrow and comment on quite a number of them

Today I spent some time shooting indoors again, because our light isn't very nice today. Humid, gray, meh...

So to get some colorful results, I decided to shoot some macro wtih the 55mm f1.2 reversed plus some tubes.

Below is a 9 image focus stack, two strobes. This is the center of a 1.5" flower. The red ring is about 10mm across. Exposure was 1/125s all afternoon, and most images are around f/5.6 of f/8 to reduce diffraction but have some depth of field. I used the cheapest ebay macro rail to move the camera. Probably was pushing it a little far at this magnification...

Later I put the 24mm f2.8 AIS on the same set of tubes and shot the same flower again, macro rail stepping 20 images for this focus stack of the core - about 6mm across the full frame

and while editing this stack, I discovered a small spider inside the flower - 100% crop of the spider, which is less than 0.5mm across

May 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2867 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

some less extreme focus stacks with the 55mm f/1.2 reversed on tubes - these are all about the same setup. The pencil gives you some scale reference. These are all about 15 image focus stacks:

pencil 100% crop detail

May 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
pburke
• • •
p.2867 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

then I tried the 20mm f/3.5 with a thin K1 extension tube - caught a box elder bug and gave the guy a brief freezer chill and put it on the flower shown above. It held still for about 5 stack frames only, so these aren't very deep.

crop of the eye

May 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2867 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

David, congrats to your new 50-135!

Curtis, love the metal doggie ;-)

Peter, love the purple blossom-detail. Nice to see how well the venerable 55/1.2 is performing backwards ;-)

May 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2867 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's a shot taken a while ago with the 24/2:

on-line dog, 24/2 Ai wide open for a wild bokeh, D700

May 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2867 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, you're doing rather breathtaking close work. Amazing what a bit of free time, extension tubes, reversing ring and a tripod can do for you. I always find this kind of work fascinating, but generally don't have the patience to do it. Great work though.

May 19, 2013 at 01:12 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2867 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg, I think your dog friend would be more fun... Very sweet!

May 19, 2013 at 01:13 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password