Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2696      
       2698              4235       4236       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2697 #1 · p.2697 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Just because you fall asleep when sitting quietly Reagan doesn't mean everyone does...

Today I visited Green Gulch Zen Center above Mill Valley on the opposite side of Mount Tamalpais from where I live to continue my introduction to the spiritual side of Marin County. I think Nikki is having a good time. Here are a couple of shots from the garden area. Since I can't resist flower shots I'll start there.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ub6ldetGPfg/UUzqAFBpsJI/AAAAAAAASXE/onNBOUQnzlA/s1000/85.1.8.HC.GardenShedBuddha.01.jpg

The statue is of Quan Yin, a feminine embodiment of compassion.

I like the composition of this one and how the light is falling on the subject, well done!

Looks like Nikki is enjoying herself. She'll probably be too tired for Ben to use her when she gets home.

Any news about the lens hood? I've looked here to no avail.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:53 AM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2697 #2 · p.2697 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, great comparison, and interesting to see the new 400 zoom struggling against the old MF 400 5.6. The zoom may be still worthwhile for something like BIF, airshows etc. where corners are less relevant and the AF is an asset. The VR issue is interesting though, so does the image not settle down in the viewfinder? In my now gone Sigma 150-500, the OS never completely stabilized and I could see the image shake. This does show though what we have all been experiencing on this thread, that the older MF Nikons hold their own pretty well despite all the advances in technology.

Curtis great images with Nikki. I particularly like the meditative, focused pose of the solitary Buddha statues, which seems to really go along with the blurring out of distractions in the background that the lens achieves.

Roland, really liked the curving train tracks and the light in that image.

Mark, I got vertigo looking that far down from the gondola, cool view though

Peter, very nice image with the 500 reflex. Very sharp for a 1/125s shutter.

Jose, great to see more and more of Pompeii, liked the Apollo statue.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2697 #3 · p.2697 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
I don't think I have ever been as nervous shipping something as I was with this! Can't wait to see your shots.

–Tony

Tony, I know exactly how you felt. I was panicking even wrapping the lens !! I wrapped it with so many layers that Rinie must have thought I was nuts

Well done with Nikki btw. Very nice work ... as always.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2697 #4 · p.2697 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Chin for adding that touch... it adds a great deal to the adventure, at least from my perspective. I'll be in touch with Ben and we'll work something out. Here is the first edition of photos taken with Nikki. I was at Spirit Rock Meditation Center this evening and brought Nikki with me. Here is a link to Spirit Rock, which is perhaps six or seven miles from where I live.

Night was coming on but I thought I'd grab a photo of the Buddha statues on display outside the meditation hall.

There isn't a hard click on the aperture ring
...Show more

Very nice spiritual start for Nikki, Curtis. Wonderful shooting. Got to love Buddha bokeh

Looks like you live in a great part of town.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2697 #5 · p.2697 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:
Jose, what type of software do you use to stitch, if I may ask?

Roland, thank you for looking.
I am too lazy and no PP expert, so I just use the "Photomerge" and "auto blend" options at PS CS5. Most of times the results are OK. Other here have used PTGui with great success, but I have not experiences with this software.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:40 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2697 #6 · p.2697 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dropping by quickly, I have to say, I'm really enjoying the Nikki series Curtis, esp of the market.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:42 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2697 #7 · p.2697 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Chin for adding that touch... it adds a great deal to the adventure, at least from my perspective. I'll be in touch with Ben and we'll work something out. Here is the first edition of photos taken with Nikki. I was at Spirit Rock Meditation Center this evening and brought Nikki with me. Here is a link to Spirit Rock, which is perhaps six or seven miles from where I live.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vgCQp3sIc78/UUvs3ZgpDHI/AAAAAAAASWI/tJkRSM8rCrw/s1000/85.1.8.HC.BuddhaStatue.01.jpg

Eastern spiritual traditions are very well represented in the Bay Area. We have a great number of meditation centers in Marin. In addition to Spirit Rock there is Green
...Show more

What a great set with Nikki, Curtis. I liked the most this one, great colours and bokeh!

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:43 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2697 #8 · p.2697 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Well, I stopped by the local pro shop in downtown Seattle after having lunch with an old friend I had not seen in almost 10 years. Lunch was great with her, but I had brought my camera bag with me and was eager to see what they had in the used case.

Turns out they had not much interesting in the used case, but they did have the brand spankin' new 80-400/4.5-5.6 AFS VR. I also had my 400/5.6 ED AI with me, so I decide to do a side-by-side match as best I could with my D800. No tripod, but
...Show more

John, thanks for the preliminary comparison.
Did you note the focus breathing of the new zoom at 400mm vs. the older non IF (helicoidal focus) design? It is supposed by first reports and specifications to be horribly (at least for birders like me) evident.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2697 #9 · p.2697 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis I love the shots taken with Nikki. They show a lot of thought and preparation. The shot that Leighton pointed out is also my favorite. Well done!

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:05 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2697 #10 · p.2697 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:

I almost don't dare posting more pictures 'interrupting' the wonderful story of a lens' trip in the world... Even more so as a 'beginner' in this thread, and with all the skilled photographers around.

There's not that much time to go out and shoot for me anyway, so the only thing I can do is take pictures while traveling to and from work every day. Well, at least it's not THAT cold any more, so I can enjoy traveling:

Leaving work with the 35/2.0, happy about the wonderful light coming back into the land:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/krypton/quick/ff.jpg

And a series from Zurich Oerlikon train station, where
...Show more

Well done. This is an excellent shot!
Ray

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2697 #11 · p.2697 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose another great set but this one really shines!

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:10 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2697 #12 · p.2697 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
John, thanks for the preliminary comparison.
Did you note the focus breathing of the new zoom at 400mm vs. the older non IF (helicoidal focus) design? It is supposed by first reports and specifications to be horribly (at least for birders like me) evident.

I only tested it at a large distance (like 1 km). It does appear to have very high contrast and "snap" to the image compared to my 400/5.6 ED AI. I would estimate that the inner 75% of the frame is very sharp.

Unfortunately the need for fast AF necessitates IF designs and thus the associated optical ills . . . .

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:18 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2697 #13 · p.2697 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Jose another great set but this one really shines!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8374/8579522062_db0d867cb5_o.jpg

+1

Is that Vesuvius in the background?

Interesting reading via Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

FYI Jose - My one daughter and I just spend the last 1/2 hour going through your Pompeii images and she loved them! She knows a lot about all the Greek and Roman gods and really liked seeing the paintings.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 03:53 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:32 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2697 #14 · p.2697 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
John, great comparison, and interesting to see the new 400 zoom struggling against the old MF 400 5.6. The zoom may be still worthwhile for something like BIF, airshows etc. where corners are less relevant and the AF is an asset. The VR issue is interesting though, so does the image not settle down in the viewfinder? In my now gone Sigma 150-500, the OS never completely stabilized and I could see the image shake. This does show though what we have all been experiencing on this thread, that the older MF Nikons hold their own pretty well despite all
...Show more

Yes, the VR just never seemed to be rock steady like my 70-200/4 + TC20EIII which seems astoundingly steady even compared to my 70-200/2.8 VRII.

Yes those corners are important to me because I tend to use my 400mm for landscape-type shots.
Unfortunately I was using the store display copy of the new 80-400 and hence could not do a proper comparison on a tripod, etc. Perhaps on a similar sunny day I'll haul my 70-200/4 and 70-200/2.8 + TC20EIII to the store and try it again.

- John

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:50 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2697 #15 · p.2697 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
+1

Is that Vesuvius in the background?

Interesting reading via Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

FYI Jose - My one daughter and I just spend the last 1/2 hour going through your Pompeii images and she loved them! She knows a lot about all the Greek and Roman gods and really liked seeing the paintings.

Thank you John. Yes, it is the Vesuvius which I visited some days after this shot.
I am glad you and your daughter enjoyed the photos!! For an easier view my flicker set is here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEeE47q

The Pompeii sets are almost finishing but next week I will post Herculaneum and then Vesuvius images and at last some from ancient Rome.

Thanks for the link.
I have found this one also very interesting and with a lot of photos:
https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/home

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2697 #16 · p.2697 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Mark Curtis Jose Roland

Same testshot with 180 ai-s and Tc-200

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s tc-200 teleconverter by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s tc-200 teleconverter by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:55 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2697 #17 · p.2697 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That looks great Ronny.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:30 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2697 #18 · p.2697 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Maybe spring is finally coming here. All I have seen is the usual feeder birds that are around all year until today when I spotted this Mockingbird hiding in the thicket. 80-200 4.5 C Auto

NIKON D7000    80.0 mm f/4.5 lens    80mm    f/8.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:37 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2697 #19 · p.2697 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ronny and Ron, lovely bird shots.

Ron, I bet a stupid AF lens would focus the twig

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 05:56 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •