Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2694      
       2696              4376       4377       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2695 #1 · p.2695 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Chin for adding that touch... it adds a great deal to the adventure, at least from my perspective. I'll be in touch with Ben and we'll work something out. Here is the first edition of photos taken with Nikki. I was at Spirit Rock Meditation Center this evening and brought Nikki with me. Here is a link to Spirit Rock, which is perhaps six or seven miles from where I live.

Spirit Rock Meditation Center in San Geronimo Valley

Night was coming on but I thought I'd grab a photo of the Buddha statues on display outside the meditation hall.

There isn't a hard click on the aperture ring at f/1.8 so it is tricky getting there consistently. This shows the aperture at f/2 though I had the ring turned to the end. And here are two Buddha statues for sale in the bookstore adjacent to the meditation hall. It is self service on an honor system. The statues both stood against windows opening to the adjacent woodland.

And here is a Quan Yin statue on the side of the main altar in the meditation hall. This building was the first erected on the site which has been expanded considerably over the last decade.

I'll stretch the limit by adding a fifth photo, this of a Tibetan thangka that is about eight feet high.

Eastern spiritual traditions are very well represented in the Bay Area. We have a great number of meditation centers in Marin. In addition to Spirit Rock there is Green Gulch Zen Center and the Vedanta Retreat Center. Perhaps I'll stop by Green Gulch so Nikki can see how Zen Buddhism, which has its roots in Japan, is faring her in American. San Francisco Zen Center was founded by Suzuki Roshi who trained in Japan.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:51 AM
kings_freak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2695 #2 · p.2695 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Guess who came for a visit?

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Gg-teJ4Fq7I/UUt1An82bKI/AAAAAAAASTg/B74FVnpFseE/s1000/50.1.2.NikkiBox.jpg

When I signed for the package I told the letter carrier about Nikki's great adventure and he was impressed! I am as well. I'm also very touched by what I discovered inside the package. Of course I knew a lens hood had been added and a filter, though I found two, not one. But then I unfolded the note that so many of you wrote on. Honestly, it brought tears to my eyes. What a remarkable thing we've done together.

I'm going to post a few photos, beyond our informal four photo limit, as I tell
...Show more
I am glad that she got there, safe and sound. I don't think I have ever been as nervous shipping something as I was with this! Can't wait to see your shots.

–Tony

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:00 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2695 #3 · p.2695 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Sorry, no cigar. The box arrived with no hood. The hood shown in the photo I posted is one I bought shortly after buying the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. So we have the mystery of the misplaced lens hood. Monty probably sold it...

I thought there was a hood in the earlier posts, but I didn't receive it either.

–Tony

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:04 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2695 #4 · p.2695 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Tony for the care you gave to the lens. It was very well packed and you pulled out all the stops in sending it insured with signature confirmation. We'll have to do some exploration here about what happened to the lens hood.

I'd ask folks who had the lens after Monty to chime in. That would include Alan, Tony in Washington, D.C., Leighton, Ray and John to see who might last have used the hood. I'd like to have the hood sent to me before I pass the lens on to Ben.

Here is a shot taken today of Sue's birthday roses, given her by a friend.

Apparently at f/2. I thought I shot wide open...

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:18 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.2695 #5 · p.2695 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
WOW, Chris you are a brave man!! Not for the faint of heart, like me!

No I didn't do it myself, I'm not that brave either.
A friend of mine is and he chipped all my MF-lenses.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:50 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #6 · p.2695 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
They say 3 is the charm but in my case it took 4. Leighton started this quest with his incessant posting of fantastic images with the 50-135mm. The first I bought on Ebay was advertised perfect working condition.(should have asked questions) The zoom flopped back and forth. The 2nd I bought on Ebay and specifically asked and was told the zoom was normal. It flopped up and down. Both these sellers had over 3000 positive feedback and no negative. The 3rd I bought on the forum advertised as firm zoom. Nope not firm. Better than the others but still moved
...Show more

I'm glad you found this one, now keep your eye open for another great deal like this.

I love the flowers. The color and contrast output of this lens was the first thing that drew me to it. The sharpness ain't half bad either!

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:58 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #7 · p.2695 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, I really like the first two. I would love to shoot these sites during the magic hour of light.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #8 · p.2695 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Tony R's last two posts!

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Kry27
• •
p.2695 #9 · p.2695 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I almost don't dare posting more pictures 'interrupting' the wonderful story of a lens' trip in the world... Even more so as a 'beginner' in this thread, and with all the skilled photographers around.

There's not that much time to go out and shoot for me anyway, so the only thing I can do is take pictures while traveling to and from work every day. Well, at least it's not THAT cold any more, so I can enjoy traveling:

Leaving work with the 35/2.0, happy about the wonderful light coming back into the land:

And a series from Zurich Oerlikon train station, where my previously posted 85mm shot has been taken, and where I change train twice a day. All shot with the 105/2.5, yesterday night and this morning:

And the journey into the golden morning light:

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #10 · p.2695 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Roland, don't ever worry about posting lovely images such as these. We're all just having fun on here talking about and shooting with these wonderful lenses. Keep posting as I always enjoy seeing other parts of the world! After all, it's the only way I get to travel.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kry27
• •
p.2695 #11 · p.2695 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you again, Leighton. I'll see what I can do

I can fully understand the fun this thread is all about.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2695 #12 · p.2695 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Roland, don't ever worry about posting lovely images such as these. We're all just having fun on here talking about and shooting with these wonderful lenses. Keep posting as I always enjoy seeing other parts of the world! After all, it's the only way I get to travel.

Well Leighton, then lets continue your Swiss journey. You've seen the exotic sights of Oerlikon, all I have is a dull photo of the mountains but I promise you some exciting shots more over the weekend.
In the mean time, relax - buzz the stewardess for another glass of wine and enjoy the trip. 50mm f1.2

From Winter to Spring

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #13 · p.2695 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

WOW Mark, what a neat shot, where's all the snow?

I'd rather have a nice beer though.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Kry27
• •
p.2695 #14 · p.2695 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hey Mark, that's the same type of gondola as they use in Grindelwald/First...

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2695 #15 · p.2695 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kry27 wrote:
Hey Mark, that's the same type of gondola as they use in Grindelwald/First...

Yeah...I was hoping you'd forgive the plagerism.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2695 #16 · p.2695 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
WOW Mark, what a neat shot, where's all the snow?

I'd rather have a nice beer though.

Now they do some nice beers in this area, but all I can offer you at this moment is a nice cuppa tea.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2695 #17 · p.2695 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Now they do some nice beers in this area, but all I can offer you at this moment is a nice cuppa tea.

I'll take it!

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2695 #18 · p.2695 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I'd ask folks who had the lens after Monty to chime in. That would include Alan, Tony in Washington, D.C., Leighton, Ray and John to see who might last have used the hood. I'd like to have the hood sent to me before I pass the lens on to Ben.

I know for a fact that the hood was with the lens when I got it. These are two of my first shots. I'm pretty sure I packed it, but if not, Tony should be able to verify this.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:48 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2695 #19 · p.2695 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Tony for the care you gave to the lens. It was very well packed and you pulled out all the stops in sending it insured with signature confirmation. We'll have to do some exploration here about what happened to the lens hood.

Here is a shot taken today of Sue's birthday
...Show more

Hood - I never took the hood out of the box as far as I know, but let me look around.

I also had the issue of it registering f/2 on my D800 when it was in fact wide open.

- John

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:09 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2695 #20 · p.2695 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Last two days were busy at work, but at last I managed to edit some images more from my Pompeii trip.

Statue of Apollo at Pompeii's Temple of Apollo:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8510/8578421347_a0fabcce9c_o.jpg
Statue of Apollo at Pompeii's Temple of Apollo by labecoaves, on Flickr

This a copy statue of the original.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/3.5 at 1/8000s. ~20% cropped.

More nice images. Especially like this one Jose.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password