Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2693      
       2695              3819       3820       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2694 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

They say 3 is the charm but in my case it took 4. Leighton started this quest with his incessant posting of fantastic images with the 50-135mm. The first I bought on Ebay was advertised perfect working condition.(should have asked questions) The zoom flopped back and forth. The 2nd I bought on Ebay and specifically asked and was told the zoom was normal. It flopped up and down. Both these sellers had over 3000 positive feedback and no negative. The 3rd I bought on the forum advertised as firm zoom. Nope not firm. Better than the others but still moved on it's own. As luck would have it I found a listing on Ebay that said the lens was new but did not have the box. I said what the heck at $80 how could you go wrong. The darn thing is unreal. Firm focus and very firm zoom. Not a mark, not a spec of dust and not any evidence it was mounted. The funny thing is I took pics with every one of them. I see not one bit of difference so that says the copies have really tight tolerances. A couple shots with the new one.

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    135mm    f/3.5    1/80s    250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D800    135mm    f/8.0    1/50s    250 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM
deang001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2694 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Aye haven't seen you in a bit Dean
Where are the photos of the Coorong?

I was in Aus in Feb for two weeks and shot nothing basically Just ate mum's cooking, put on two kg's and drank beer outside under the sun and blue sky ... Aussie mode.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2694 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Guess who came for a visit?

When I signed for the package I told the letter carrier about Nikki's great adventure and he was impressed! I am as well. I'm also very touched by what I discovered inside the package. Of course I knew a lens hood had been added and a filter, though I found two, not one. But then I unfolded the note that so many of you wrote on. Honestly, it brought tears to my eyes. What a remarkable thing we've done together.

I'm going to post a few photos, beyond our informal four photo limit, as I tell
...Show more

Looking forward to seeing San Francisco !!

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2694 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

You're welcome to visit Dean... I'll even play tour guide...

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2694 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Laura just pointed out to me that what I thought was a diminutive lens hood is actually the front lens piece that was damaged when the lens was dropped. I see my mistake. The hood Dean bought is the same as the one I purchased, the HN-7. I think I'll mount mine of the lens for its stay in Marin. Now I'm off for dinner.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2694 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Did the hood actually make it all the way there though? I went back through the posts to see, and curiosity is killing me now .

CGrindahl wrote:
Laura just pointed out to me that what I thought was a diminutive lens hood is actually the front lens piece that was damaged when the lens was dropped. I see my mistake. The hood Dean bought is the same as the one I purchased, the HN-7. I think I'll mount mine of the lens for its stay in Marin. Now I'm off for dinner.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2694 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sorry, no cigar. The box arrived with no hood. The hood shown in the photo I posted is one I bought shortly after buying the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. So we have the mystery of the misplaced lens hood. Monty probably sold it...

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:31 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2694 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
I have 7 now that I have installed the CPU chip on. It is sooooooooooooo nice to stick the lens on and shoot and not fool with the menu everytime you take one off and put another on. In the end I will reserve the 9 slots for lenses that can not be chipped such as the 50 1.2 or a lens that I may be considered crazy for whacking the baffle on such as the 200-400.

Hey Ron, I could use a lesson in how to chip a lens.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:09 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2694 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Sorry, no cigar. The box arrived with no hood. The hood shown in the photo I posted is one I bought shortly after buying the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. So we have the mystery of the misplaced lens hood. Monty probably sold it...

Does it fit AF lenses?

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2694 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
I was in Aus in Feb for two weeks and shot nothing basically Just ate mum's cooking, put on two kg's and drank beer outside under the sun and blue sky ... Aussie mode.

I'll be there mid-May. I'll try to compensate for the photos
I also hope I won't get lost, heading into and through the Gawler Ranges to one of the salt lakes

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zichar
• • • •
p.2694 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Leighton, I'm going to do something special with that letter before I pass it along to Ben. I might even ask him if he'd mind if I kept it. But regardless, I'll make certain that everyone who is on the list gets a facsimile of the letter. I'd love to frame it and put in it on the wall. This is definitely an experience I will treasure. We done good my friend!

I stuffed that piece of paper in at the last minute (and I cringe at my own scribbles, sounds vaguely suggestive). So there's no input from Ben... yet. Maybe he can complete it?
Something to consider

- I'm surprised the box made it!

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:40 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Do I need to rotate this, Leighton?

16mm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_7491.jpg

Chuong, this deserves another look - magical image!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:04 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I too lament the 9 lens limit - it would have been trivial to make it 50 or some huge number like that!
They probably just want us to buy new shiny AF lenses instead . . .

John, a partial "solution" for the 9 limit is this:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2012/03/08/adding-a-cpu-to-mf-nikkor-lenses-part-i/

I have CPU'd my 20/2.8 ais and Nikki's daughter (85mm f/1.8 K ai'd), and my 400/5.6 EDIF was bought already CPU'd, and all of them have worked like a charm.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:35 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chris Dees wrote:
The 50/1.2 AI-s can be chipped (mine is).

WOW, Chris you are a brave man!! Not for the faint of heart, like me!

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:43 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
Here are a couple with the 180mm 2.8. I should use this lens more.

Jeff, brilliant captures with the 180/2.8, showing the versatility of the lens, from close focus and great bokeh to infinity landscape images.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:50 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
They say 3 is the charm but in my case it took 4. Leighton started this quest with his incessant posting of fantastic images with the 50-135mm. The first I bought on Ebay was advertised perfect working condition.(should have asked questions) The zoom flopped back and forth. The 2nd I bought on Ebay and specifically asked and was told the zoom was normal. It flopped up and down. Both these sellers had over 3000 positive feedback and no negative. The 3rd I bought on the forum advertised as firm zoom. Nope not firm. Better than the others but still moved
...Show more

Ron, I am glad you finally found a good copy of the legendary 50-135/3.5.
And what a gorgeous flower image!

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:51 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2694 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Jeff, Peter, Leighton, Samy, Ronny and Dean (welcome back - have a nice trip to southern Italy!) for tolerating my never ending Pompeii "saga".

Ray, what fantastic captures of wildlife with D600+300/4.5!

Tony nice bokeh playing with Nikki;

Curtis, beautiful photographic report on Nikki's arriving.

Last two days were busy at work, but at last I managed to edit some images more from my Pompeii trip.

The Temple of Apollo:

Temple of Apollo at Pompeii - 5 vert-shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

A frontal view of the Temple of Apollo - 5 vertical shots pano.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/8 at 1/1250s.

More details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/pompeii/public-buildings/temple-of-apollo

Statue of Apollo at Pompeii's Temple of Apollo:

Statue of Apollo at Pompeii's Temple of Apollo by labecoaves, on Flickr

This a copy statue of the original.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/3.5 at 1/8000s. ~20% cropped.

And Artemis/Diana bust in the same temple:

Artemis/Diana bust at Apollo's Temple, Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

This a copy of the original. Vesuvius is at the background.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/16 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/16 at 1/160s. ~35% cropped.

Very interesting details on the statue restoration here:
www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/apollo_pompeii/

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:45 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2694 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
The Temple of Apollo:

A frontal view of the Temple of Apollo - 5 vertical shots pano.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/8 at 1/1250s.

More details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/pompeii/public-buildings/temple-of-apollo

Statue of Apollo at Pompeii's Temple of Apollo:

This a copy statue of the original.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/3.5 at 1/8000s. ~20% cropped.

And Artemis/Diana bust in the same temple:

This a copy of the original. Vesuvius is at the background.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/16 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/16 at 1/160s. ~35% cropped.

Very interesting details on the statue restoration here:
www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/apollo_pompeii/

Superb shots.

I'm guessing that the originals are in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples ... did you get a chance to visit?

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:11 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2694 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
I'll be there mid-May. I'll try to compensate for the photos
I also hope I won't get lost, heading into and through the Gawler Ranges to one of the salt lakes

From what I know about your adventures, I doubt you would get lost anywhere on the planet !! You seem to like mixing it up with the locals as well, so I'm sure they would point you in the right direction should you need it.

Look forward to seeing your images of my home state of SA.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:17 AM
Kry27
• •
p.2694 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, what type of software do you use to stitch, if I may ask?

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:40 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password