Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2690      
       2692              4068       4069       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2691 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
You must be talking about MY lens shelf Ben...

I would suggest, however, that when a box arrives at some future date, you should look very carefully to make certain it is an H.C. lens and not an H...

I think it's funny how you guys think she is in the box in the first place!

–Tony

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2691 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Quick question for you MF Nikon guys. I've been shooting Canon for years, but I keep thinking about picking up a D600 mainly for shooting Nikon and Zeiss MF lenses - I do shoot with some Nikkor glass on my Canon gear now. How is the focus confirmation function with Nikkor MF lenses? Is it generally reliable? I am developing an increasing fondness for old MF Nikkor glass.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.2691 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49 wrote:
Quick question for you MF Nikon guys. I've been shooting Canon for years, but I keep thinking about picking up a D600 mainly for shooting Nikon and Zeiss MF lenses - I do shoot with some Nikkor glass on my Canon gear now. How is the focus confirmation function with Nikkor MF lenses? Is it generally reliable? I am developing an increasing fondness for old MF Nikkor glass.

I have the D7000 and the D600 and the conformation is right on with both of my cameras. I have tested all of my MF glass with live view focusing and found in both cameras are very reliable. The D600's viewfinder is so good you will be able to see the focus with out relying on the focus conformation light.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2691 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49 wrote:

Hi Michael,

I shoot with a D700 and D800 and have very good results using the confirmation dot. I know there are a few D600 shooters on here, so hopefully they will chip in with their findings. With the prices of used D700's right now, I wouldn't dismiss it as an option either. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options though.

–Tony

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2691 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
I have the D7000 and the D600 and the conformation is right on with both of my cameras. I have tested all of my MF glass with live view focusing and found in both cameras are very reliable. The D600's viewfinder is so good you will be able to see the focus with out relying on the focus conformation light.

Thanks.

I don't rely on any focus confirmation with any of my MF glass on my Canon bodies, but I thought I might be a useful feature for wide apertures and for subjects that don't have the patience to stay still for shots - like my dog......and my wife.

Does focus confirmation work with all AI and AIS NIkkor lens?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2691 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Agree with Ray there, although the focus confirmation dot is what I depend on most of the time and its very accurate, I haven't come across a situation where the results were off on the D800 (should be very similar to the D600).

Sometimes in low contrast situations, or low light (or adding teleconverters), the confirmation dot is hard to get, end up with flashing arrows instead. But the viewfinder for the D800, just like the D600 is very amenable to getting accurate focus also. Live view focus works best on a tripod.

Edit - yes, the focus confirmation dot works perfectly on AI, AIS, and even pre-AI lenses that a bunch of us have and are AI converted.

MDoc9523 wrote:

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2691 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Agree with Ray there, although the focus confirmation dot is what I depend on most of the time and its very accurate, I haven't come across a situation where the results were off on the D800 (should be very similar to the D600).

Sometimes in low contrast situations, or low light (or adding teleconverters), the confirmation dot is hard to get, end up with flashing arrows instead. But the viewfinder for the D800, just like the D600 is very amenable to getting accurate focus also. Live view focus works best on a tripod.

Edit - yes, the focus confirmation dot works
...Show more

Agree with everything said here. I use the D7000. Same issue with the arrows flickering in poor light. Go to live view in that case (if on a tripod).

Welcome to the dark side!

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2691 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, Curtis, Ray and Samy, thanks for the comments. The more I look at the road shot, the more I see things I'd like to work on. Next time I should bring a flagman so I'm not rushed by on-coming trucks.

Chuong, nice shot with the fisheye.

Ray, beautiful shots. The blue heron is spectacular!

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:13 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2691 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've shot MF glass on FX, DX, and CX Nikon cameras. the focus confirmation for me, is pretty good with all formats. Just make sure that you get the viewfinder tweaked for your vision diopter, if needed. Show us your stuff when you get your D600

michael49 wrote:

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:39 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2691 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Really neat, Chuong.

raboof wrote:
Do I need to rotate this, Leighton?

16mm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_7491.jpg

And a fun adventure it has been, too. Thanks Ben!

bruni wrote:
Curtis you're starting to worry me with all of these cracks about how nikki may not make it back to Australia. (There's a big gap on the lens shelf where she belongs)

ben

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2691 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Went to dinner tonight, something the local restaurant association puts on once a month, where they pick a restaurant, and everyone goes to eat there, special menu, and much to my surprise, a drawing. First time I've gone to one of these, and came home with this prize. My son also won something in the drawing, ad he got a blanket, and a pair of hockey tickets for a game in Cincinnati

© NightOwl Cat 2013

my prize :D

NIKON D3    45mm    f/3.5    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:43 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2691 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Until 90-89 BC Pompeii was a Samnite city allied to Rome, but rebelled against her mighty ally and, as a consequence, the city was besieged by general Sulla during the so called "Social War". Even today it can be seen deep holes made by the stone projectiles launched by Roman's military machine against the northern walls of Pompeii. Eventually Pompeii surrended to the Romans at 89 BC, and became a fully Roman town until the eruption in 79AD.

Some views of the wall and a tower remain between the "Herculaneum" and "Vesuvius" gates, particularly showing the stone projectiles marks at the
...Show more

Very nice, Jose. Really enjoying all your images from Pompeii.

We will be in Sorrento this Sept and will do day trips to Pompeii & Herculaneum. Maybe Vesuvius.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:33 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2691 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Choung, hope everything is OK, massive lens sale I see. Super capture of your home as well, great subject and framing for the FE lens.

Kevin, I'll chime in a little late but the treatment of the historic car is spot on.

Mike, those AB pictures continue to amaze. Definitely a bucket list sight to see in person.

Chin, the pair of dogs bring a big smile to my face everytime I look at the shots.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2691 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

michael49 wrote:
Thanks.

I don't rely on any focus confirmation with any of my MF glass on my Canon bodies, but I thought I might be a useful feature for wide apertures and for subjects that don't have the patience to stay still for shots - like my dog......and my wife.

Does focus confirmation work with all AI and AIS NIkkor lens?

The confirmation dot works with both AI and AI-s lenses, as well as pre-AI lenses that have been converted. What you'll likely appreciate most is the fact that the non-CPU register allows you to note the focal length and widest aperture so the camera will meter with the lenses. The only thing you need to know is that if you spot meter you need to use the center focusing point.

I made the move to Nikon with a brief exploration that turned into a switch when I discovered these beautiful old lenses. Folks who've following this thread pretty much know the story. I'm excited for you that you'll have the opportunity to use these lenses on a camera system for which they were designed. And when you do so, make certain you come play with the folks on this thread. We've been having a great time for over two and a half years. You're more than welcome to join us, but please restrain yourself until you have that D600 in your hands.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:15 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2691 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice to see you stop in Dean. I trust that you've been away from the thread because you've been so busy making money... All good. Eventually, you'll be a manufacturing mogul with plenty of money and time for buying and using MF lenses. You'll always be welcome on this thread.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:17 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2691 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
I think it's funny how you guys think she is in the box in the first place!

–Tony

Oh Oh!

Tell me it isn't so...

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:18 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2691 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

On my last outing with Nikki, I went to the Corona Heritage Museum, with my Mom, and walked around a bit. This was the first time I had been there when the train exhibit was open. I went in and met the two gentlemen that ran the exhibit and got a cool history lesson about Corona. The exhibit is built to replicate life in Corona in 1949. Lots of historical buildings as well as landmarks that I recognize today. The neat part, is that I am now going to photograph the whole exhibit to be used for their promo media and they will have my shots playing on a large flatscreen in their exhibit booth. They will also hand out my cards during the exhibits. Pretty cool!

–Tony

Daffodils by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Purple Blossoms by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Wedding Area - 6 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Corona, CA - Circa 1949 by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2691 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - I love the butterfly

Chuong -the house is excellent

Tony - well done at Corona - very nice shots

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:31 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2691 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Jose Jeff Ray Laura Tony and Chuong

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2691 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
So by this weekend I expect I'll have a new playmate. I'll put her through her paces as i introduce her to northern California. Who knows, she might like it so much she won't want to got to Australia...

I think that is very polite to buy a flight ticket to Sidney and to hand it personally to Ben altogether with our thanks! Then you can be rewarded with a fine glass of Aussie wine and with a BBQ... (Leighton brings personally the meat in order to join the final feast )

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password