Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2657      
       2659              4181       4182       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2658 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
I am wandering looking for signs of spring. Has to be spring doesn't it. We are turning the clocks ahead tonight. Has to be spring. 50-135mm trying out the Macro mode(so they call it anyway). 100% Crop

Yeah, that is pretty much what my area looks like too! I have to drive a little bit to see some color.

–Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:01 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I think ALL of your lenses are stuck wide open!

Oooh ƒ2! You better watch out, that lens diffraction is gonna start creeping in!!

–Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:03 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
As I am an incorrigible birder, a little bit of birding at Pompeii's Forum .
An improbable lens and a unusual environment for birding (a storage room for terracota dolia found in the excavations):

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai, ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/1600s. >~50% cropped. It looks like a female House Sparrow.

On a stone block with Nikki's daughter wide open + TC16A:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8541258620_f6fb410f56_b.jpg
A little birding at Pompeii Forum 2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd + TC16A (=136mm f/2.8), ISO 320, wide open at 1/4000s. ~50% cropped. It looks like a female House Sparrow.
I think this
...Show more
Not bad? I think it looks great! I had a question though. With the DX body and the TC16A, wouldn't it equal 204mm?

–Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:06 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
Philippe, you are an artist, on the other hand how could I compete with a Paris opera here in Escondido................

Paris, Pompei, Ephesus, I give up!
(Or maybe I should move)

+1000! Both as Philippe being an artist and that we having nothing in out area to compete with, settings wise.

–Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:09 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some images from this week - but nothing really personal:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8542677929_ecfebedd26_c.jpg
portrait of a friendly ceramicist - 24/2Ai at f/4, SB800 in a small softbox from the left, bounced SB800 from the right side

Very nice portrait Georg.

–Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:10 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you all for the comments on my selfie. It was quite a simple shot. I was just sitting in front of the computer and had a lamp on behind me. Did my B&W conversion and done!

Went out to the Rod Run today. It was SO crowded! There was no room to really back up and take shots, let alone have no people in them. Plus, I found that I really didn't like the 85mm focal length for that setting. I pretty much just used the 16mm to play around and get used to it. It is quite a different beast than anything I have shot before. Plus, I don't know how you guys do it, but I couldn't get a decent sunburst for the life of me! I even stopped down to ƒ22 and underexposed by quite a bit, but never got what I wanted. Any advice??

–Tony

Temecula Rod Run by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Actual 75mm shells modified to be used as velocity stacks.

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:22 AM
montym
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2658 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

We are visiting our daughter this weekend in the Land of Coffee and Bicycles
We did some site seeing today
Monty

Minneapolis Institute of Art

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    16mm    f/2.5    1/50s    720 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2658 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For good sun bursts you need the front/rear elements to be extremely clean and you may need to underexpose a stop or two relative to the sky and then bring up the shadows a commensurate amount.
Plus, if there are any high clouds, no matter how thin, they will not allow sun stars as they will diffuse the image of the sun too much.

I'd also give a look through the lens to make sure it doesn't have dust inside - being such an old lens it might. If it does this will produce a lot of flare which will also prevent nice sun stars.

In your last image the sun stars off the bumper look a bit weird to me - perhaps it's just the chrome finish that is messing things up. I would check the lens to make sure it's clean inside and out.

John

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:05 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
For good sun bursts you need the front/rear elements to be extremely clean and you may need to underexpose a stop or two relative to the sky and then bring up the shadows a commensurate amount.
Plus, if there are any high clouds, no matter how thin, they will not allow sun stars as they will diffuse the image of the sun too much.

I'd also give a look through the lens to make sure it doesn't have dust inside - being such an old lens it might. If it does this will produce a lot of flare which will also prevent
...Show more
Yeah, I definitely underexposed some of the shots, just to try and get the bursts, so I will check the lens for dust. I thought the stars looked weird as well. Thanks for the info, John!

-Tony

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:59 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2658 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok, so after today I realized that I would like a 24mm. I now have the 16mm and my Sigma 35mm ƒ1.4 is on it's way, so I would like something in the middle. Any recommendations on which version? Flare and ghosting are definitely concerns.

–Tony

P.S. I just found this little beauty on the B&S. It's multi-coated and has the scalloped ring that I have grown very fond of since shooting my 55mm SC.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194310/0#lastmessage

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2658 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That is a beautiful looking lens Tony, though I'm not a fan of lenses that have been converted by cutting down the aperture ring. It will work, but it is hardly an elegant treatment.

The N.C. has enhanced coating, but the pre-AI lenses have a different optical formula than the AI and AI-s lenses. Bjorn Rorslett lumps them all together and gives high praise. Honestly, I don't know whether the change represents an improvement. I do know that the 24 f/2.8 AI-s I own is an excellent performer. I certainly appreciate your feelings about the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd. I love mine enough that I bought six other converted pre-AI lenses. They are a joy.

Good luck. Glad you're having fun.

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2658 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
When I first posted photos on Trekearth most of the members were from Europe and with their long holidays were heading east to India, Thailand, Japan. I finally gave up and I live just north of San Francisco in a beautiful area. But the glories of Europe and the exotic settings of Southeast Asia offered such delights there wasn't much I could post that measured up.

I've mentioned this before but they did a "treasure hunt" that included a photo of something over a hundred years old. I decided I shouldn't cop out by taking a photo of one of the
...Show more

Ok we have nice old stuff in Europe. But my kind of photography is "life" and one can shoot street scenes everywhere in the world.
One of the very best photographer I've ever seen is an american from Boston : http://www.stevemarkphoto.com/
This guy is an artist : I would be very happy with just 10% of his talent (and 2 weeks of vacation in Boston....)

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2658 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose , great work from Pompei, these frescoes images are beautiful and very moving
Curtis, I enjoyed the guitar pics, talk about nice bokeh
Georg, wonderful b/w pictures, I especially liked the portrait of the ceramicist

thanks for all the comments on my opera shots!

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:49 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2658 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Peter - I expected the US members to flame me over my accent crack - but you? YOU?

Ben

Ah Ben - you know it's just a friendly dig! What would life be if if us southern hemispherians couldn't take the mick?

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2658 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rafaelcasd wrote:
My favourite 5cm

It is a great lens - and you use it well!

Here's a quick sanp of mine with the 28 2.8

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:09 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2658 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
From the Opéra Garnier, Paris
first two with 50 1.8, other with 28 2.8 :

Just excellent!

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2658 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some images from this week - but nothing really personal:

All very good but #3 is beautifully lit!

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:17 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2658 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - I love the portrait in your last set.

Curtis - Very nice bokeh play in the music store.

Monty - Nice of you to pop in!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2658 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Pass by the loading bay on the way to work every day
This a new-ish addition, cordoned off for the factory upstairs that makes clean room lab equipment
Most times I see them bringing down laminar flow hoods to be loaded into containers
Purpose-built, with non-slip flooring and a mini forklift always on standby
I snuck down when the fellas went out for lunch

spooning (Roll 4668 020) by Zichar, on Flickr

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2658 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Now next time Chin, hop on that forklift and take it for a spin around town!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password