1       2       3              2533      
       2535              5891       5892       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2534 #1 · p.2534 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Truth be told, I like pre-AI lenses at any focal length. You're right Ben, I wasn't interested in the 24 f/2.8 N.C. when I first began experimenting with these lenses. That is before this particular facet of the addiction got hold of me... Now, just about any pre-AI lens in EX+ condition that has the AI conversion kit is subject to scrutiny and possibly a bid. But that is conditioned by price, since I'll certainly not pay $500 for a 35 f/1.4 N.C. AI'd any time soon. I also doubt I'd pay a premium for a 28 f/2 N.C.
...Show more

Curtis, congrats

I love the handling of the old pre-Ai-Nikkor's a lot. The focusing ring is so nice. And they look so coool:-)
I get a lot of questions about gear when I'm under way - mostly for
A - strange looking lenses like the old Nikkor-H's, Nikkor-S's and so on
B - the Fuji X100 (does it work with film, is it from the 70's)
C - the Berlebach wooden tripods

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2534 #2 · p.2534 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Too funny, and hope I never get to the point of 8 in 2 weeks

Don't worry Samy, Ben is prone to exaggeration. In fact, the first lens I bought after he trotted out his 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd was a 55 f/1.2 AI. It took me awhile to be seduced by his "charms..." But I got there eventually, first by selling the 55 to Matt, then finding as S.C. copy with the conversion kit. That took three weeks by itself. It was only after I'd used that lens for a time that I began looking for other pre-AI lenses. It is relatively easy to find those lenses, but only a few have the AI conversion kit. That made the hunt much more challenging. The 55 was bought June 15, then a 50 f/1.4 S AI'd three weeks later, quickly followed by a 28 f/3.5 H AI'd and a week after that a 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. Two weeks after that a 50 f/2 H.C. AI'd. The lenses kept coming over subsequent months.

None of these lenses cost a great deal of money. Finding deals has been fun... but it has taken 9 months, not two weeks..

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2534 #3 · p.2534 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Ben, I think he needs the 24 PCE

Reagan

That kind of lens is reserved for people who can afford 1966 Chevelles. Of course, having bought the car and then paid for all the necessary repairs, one wouldn't have a great deal to spend on anything. I'm glad you were able to spring for the D600 so you can keep an oar in this water my friend. No doubt a tilt-shift lens would be a treat but it won't likely happen in this lifetime...

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #4 · p.2534 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James, I like the documentary-look of the bridge-shot a lot. Classic B&W. The lens-family-shot is impressive to say the least.

Jose, you continue to impress me with your great Pompeii-images.

Roland, welcome to this thread!
I really enjoyed looking at your fine work. I particularly like the first posted B&W-shot with the legendary 105/2.5 - excellent B&W-work!
The vignetting on the 35/2-image looks like some kind of mechanical vignetting (caused by a filter or a sunshade).
Willkommen und ich freu mich schon auf weitere Motive aus den Bergen, Georg (aus Rostock/Mecklenburg).

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #5 · p.2534 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin, I like the "Theater of Creams"-shot a lot. US-$ 23 each roll is steep indeed. I miss a real, wet darkroom. A very nice enlarger collects dust on the attic, but right now I don't have the time to set up a proper darkroom and scanning negs never really satisfies me.

Jeff, as usual very, very nice work - the corrosion-shot is great. I especially like your choice of shooting-angle and framing.

John, good to see that your second copy of the 135/3.5 works so well for you! The 400mm-shots are great.

Rafael, f/8 works better on your beautiful Corvette with this background. Was the "bleached" wheelbarrow-image processed with a film-preset or -plugin?

Laura, nice animal-portraits! I'm glad that I don't have to carry heavy school-books anymore ;-) Is that the 80-400 in your bag?

Samy, the 5.8cm-Nikkor looks neat. Pure envy over here :--)

Monty, congrats!!!

Kevin, I like the last flower-shot the most. The monochrome background works great.

Philippe, outstanding photographs from the Opera! The second image is my personal favorite.

Peter, excellent work with the F3HP! The first two images are my favs - the framing is absolutely first rate.

Reagan, great job on the fishermen! The 25-50 is the only MF-Zoom-Nikkor I would really like to try (apart from that insane 1200-1700 )

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2534 #6 · p.2534 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you all for the compliments on my tulip tree. Seems that everyone likes the monochrome background version the best. This brings me to a question.

When any of you are trying to isolate a flower (or something else small, yet living) and cannot really do it short of picking the flower and then photographing it, do you keep some sort of background with you to place behind the subject or do you use like a very long focal length to obliterate the background? When I see shots where the subject is nicely isolated, I always wonder if the plants you are shooting just don't have neighbors or if they have been cut...

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #7 · p.2534 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the comments on the fisheye-shots and the ceramicist!

James Markus wrote:
Georg - good solid work...did you bend over backwards on the fisheye stitch?

Yes, I was pretty close to the old city wall behind me. I bent my head and the camera about 20 or 30 degrees backwards. Btw, it's not a stitched shot, it's an almost full frame single image.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #8 · p.2534 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Thank you all for the compliments on my tulip tree. Seems that everyone likes the monochrome background version the best. This brings me to a question.

When any of you are trying to isolate a flower (or something else small, yet living) and cannot really do it short of picking the flower and then photographing it, do you keep some sort of background with you to place behind the subject or do you use like a very long focal length to obliterate the background? When I see shots where the subject is nicely isolated, I always wonder if the plants you
...Show more

Kevin, can't speak for others, but I usually pick a subject that is already a bit isolated (a blossom on the outside of the plant or so). Sometimes I see a "good-bokeh-background" and search for a subject to fill the foreground;-)
Artificial backgrounds don't suit my style of shooting. Sometimes it's possible to create a strong backlight (remote flash or a mirror) to isolate a subject.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2534 #9 · p.2534 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Out today with just the 50 1.4 SC . It says "Auto" after that. I thought it was either Auto Focus or that I could drive it Does anyone know what it means?

Some stuff A little rust, Graffiti and a direction

Reagan

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #10 · p.2534 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan, love the first shot above! Don't know what "Auto" means - back in the days it was probably just a cool marketing term (seriously, it might have something to do with the aperture-mechanism, but I'm not sure).

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.2534 #11 · p.2534 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I've tried to get some sun-stars with the 20/3.5 Ais today, but had no luck. So here's a shot from sunday - playing with a 55/1.2 at it's minimum focusing distance. Amazing to my eyes how the fence melts away.

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
55/1.2 Ai wide open and at minimum focusing distance. The framing could have been better - too much concentration on the focus...

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2534 #12 · p.2534 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I think it looks fine. I also like how it fades away

Reagan

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.2534 #13 · p.2534 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I compared the 50mm f1.2 (AIS) @1.2 vs the 55mm f1.2 (S) @1.2 The "glow" for the AIS is actually more visible than the S.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:45 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.2534 #14 · p.2534 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Out today with just the 50 1.4 SC . It says "Auto" after that. I thought it was either Auto Focus or that I could drive it Does anyone know what it means?

Some stuff A little rust, Graffiti and a direction

Reagan

Reagan, I like the first one here.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:19 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.2534 #15 · p.2534 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
I've tried to get some sun-stars with the 20/3.5 Ais today, but had no luck. So here's a shot from sunday - playing with a 55/1.2 at it's minimum focusing distance. Amazing to my eyes how the fence melts away.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8391/8553564222_9ff1088396_o.jpg
Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
55/1.2 Ai wide open and at minimum focusing distance. The framing could have been better - too much concentration on the focus...

Very nice Georg. I like how the background really sets this off.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:20 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2534 #16 · p.2534 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Its really all Ben's fault. I was quite content with my kit of AI and AI-s lenses until he showed up with his 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd. That was the first converted pre-AI lens I bought. I immediately fell in love with the build quality and the scalloped metal focusing ring. From that moment in time I've bought only pre-AI lenses. This will be my ninth, though only eight can be mounted on my D700. My only two criteria in making these purchase is 1) the lens must already have the Nikon AI conversion kit installed, and 2) that the
...Show more

Curtis, you have not done your SC conversion yet?

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:34 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2534 #17 · p.2534 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Rafael, f/8 works better on your beautiful Corvette with this background. Was the "bleached" wheelbarrow-image processed with a film-preset or -plugin?

)

Georg, Nik NX2 plug in, the 'pastel'one, lowering saturation first.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:39 AM
rafaelcasd
• • • •
p.2534 #18 · p.2534 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Reagan, love the first shot above! Don't know what "Auto" means - back in the days it was probably just a cool marketing term (seriously, it might have something to do with the aperture-mechanism, but I'm not sure).

Auto =Auto aperture, not preset. View at full aperture and 'automatically' close it down for the capture.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:40 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2534 #19 · p.2534 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The more I explore this lens - the more I am impressed. Good for products, landscapes and portraits. That is quite a range.

Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:20 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2534 #20 · p.2534 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James Markus wrote:
The more I explore this lens - the more I am impressed. Good for products, landscapes and portraits. That is quite a range.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/76816Grandma_HighKey-web.jpg

Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais

Very nice!

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password