Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2532      
       2534              4242       4243       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2533 #1 · p.2533 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
Some rust to go with the recent implosion debris. Taken with the 105 2.5 ais. Thanks for looking
Scott

Nicely done Scott. I always enjoy rust and graphical images appeal as well.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2533 #2 · p.2533 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 25-50 f/4 AI-s has two rings, as you surely know Reagan, a larger zoom ring and smaller focus ring. On my copy of the lens the focus ring is nicely damped and the zoom ring is a tad looser. But until the lenses with a push pull combined ring, there is no slippage, so loose doesn't feel like a problem. In fact, I like the light touch required to zoom the lens in and out, as needed.

I remember some of those shots from your trip to Las Vegas. I imagine you'll make good use of your new lens. It looks like a winner.

Here's an old shot I took with my copy. I've posted it before but it shows how the lens handles flare. I was facing the sun as i shot this.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2533 #3 · p.2533 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Light, contrast and compo are really impressive Curtis!

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2533 #4 · p.2533 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is a shot taken with Nikki last summer but in b/w version now :

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:06 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2533 #5 · p.2533 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis and Philippe, very nice shots and B&W conversions!

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:07 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2533 #6 · p.2533 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I beg your pardon, since this can be boring to most here, perhaps at least not for John and Philip.

A quick view of how coma behaves in my three f/2 wide angle MF Nikkors. Specifically talking about nightscapes lights, surely also useful for night sky shots.

These shots were taken with a DX body (D7000), so for FX results can be more extreme comas at wide open or f/2.8 apertures.

The general view of the scenario take with the 24mm, showing FOV of the 28 and 35, and the crops at extreme left border:

Coma-test-24mm28mm35mm-general-shot by labecoaves, on Flickr

The results:

Coma-test-24mm-f2-ais by labecoaves, on Flickr

Coma-test-28mm-f2-ai by labecoaves, on Flickr

Coma-test-35mm-f2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

No PP, just converted inside CS5 (ACR), tungsten WB converted, cropped / resized & web converted.

It seems to me that 24/2 is the worst, needing f/5.6 to get rid of coma. On the other hand, it could create some artistic OOF borders without PP manipulation - I remember some of Georg shots.
28/2 is better, almost no coma at f/2.8;
but for my eyes the old 35/2 F ai'd has virtually no coma already at f/2.8 - good news for night sky/stars shots.
I am not an optical expert, but I suppose wider angles are prone to coma than longer focal lenghts.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:09 PM
RKB58

p.2533 #7 · p.2533 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Going back to the original post, the cabinet needs an 85/1.8K with factory AI convert ring!

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2533 #8 · p.2533 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I enjoy these as well Jose, largely because you do them so professionally. It is really quite easy to evaluate results. I do see a touch of coma at the left edge with the 35 at f/2.8, but it definitely performs better. I'm reminded of my first encounter with coma from the 50 f/1.2 AI-s when shooting at f/2 from the Euromast in Rotterdam. I believe you're right that it is most evident in wider lenses, but it is not unknown at 50mm.

Wonderful contribution Jose.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:31 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2533 #9 · p.2533 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philippe, I'm enjoying the work you're doing in BW, including the image above. I certainly remember that fine shot. It works well this way. This is an excellent conversion.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:33 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2533 #10 · p.2533 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, fantastic images on the last pages! Will come back later to comment some of my favs.
Here's a picture taken a few minutes ago - it's snowing again;-)

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Quickly taken with Nikki's sister, the Nikkor-H Auto 85/1.8 I got from Paul
I don't know if the pulsating spots did a good job on the flakes or not...

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2533 #11 · p.2533 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
And one more from the Baltimore waterfront. With the 50 1.2 AIS.

Thanks for sharing this one Samy, brings back some memories of when my uncle took me and a friend on board his cutter that he was skipper of. It was dry docked in Baltimore getting some work done on it. This is me with the long hair.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:26 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2533 #12 · p.2533 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I enjoy these as well Jose, largely because you do them so professionally. It is really quite easy to evaluate results. I do see a touch of coma at the left edge with the 35 at f/2.8, but it definitely performs better. I'm reminded of my first encounter with coma from the 50 f/1.2 AI-s when shooting at f/2 from the Euromast in Rotterdam. I believe you're right that it is most evident in wider lenses, but it is not unknown at 50mm.

+1
I think these are very useful in determining lens selection when one is looking to make a purchase, Thanks!

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:29 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2533 #13 · p.2533 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis - I remember liking this shot when it first debuted on the thread, great image.

Philippe - Very nice conversion of this shot.

Georg - What a great perspective, I love it!

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:31 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2533 #14 · p.2533 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

An early spring rose, well, at least in my backyard! Handheld, Nikon D700, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS.

_DSC7423 copy by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2533 #15 · p.2533 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, thanks for your comment on the pier shot. I really like your cityscapes, especially the "approaching storm."

Georg, very nice ones of the soccer chief and the faucet and ice.

Samy, thanks for your comment. Your swirling snow abstract and the birds in snow are very fine.

Reagan, nice Pelican set and I love the first bridge shot from Hoover dam.

Peter, "Afternoon Promise" is a great photo and I really like the simple beauty of the "Gate."

Ronny, I'll chime in with kudos for the 2nd gull shot.

Curtis, great texture and colors in your plant series and the Golden Gate is wonderful.

nixer, very interesting shots with your Med-Nikkor.

Americo, really like the colors and composition of your ship shots.

Philippe, very nice one from Montmartre.

Ray, the Bok Tower images are beautiful.

Tony, nice pano from the "other" wine country.

Rafael, very nice implosion set.

Kevin, beautiful flowers .

Ray, I really like the composition of your 200mm shot.

Sam, "Tarrant County Courthouse" is a very cool shot.

Monty, nice work with the 16mm.

Scott, that is a really nice rust shot.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:01 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2533 #16 · p.2533 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
I beg your pardon, since this can be boring to most here, perhaps at least not for John and Philip.

Guilty as charged.

Very interesting results. I've been thinking I should look into something wider than 28mm, but now I'm not so sure about the 24 f/2 for nighttime city shots.

Would also love to see how the 35 f/1.4 fares in the mix. I think I already know for wide open, but I don't know when (stopped down) it starts to behave itself.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:43 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2533 #17 · p.2533 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, seems like a fun memory of Baltimore. Wild guess, that picture's from 1975?

Actually I lost interest in football and moved on to European soccer when the Washington Redskins fell apart. I was curious to go see what all festivities were going on in town this morning. It was pretty quiet, although at this time the scene maybe a bit more lively there

There's many neat streets and neighborhoods to walk around and take more photos, but that will have to wait until the warmer season.

Samy

leighton w wrote:
Thanks for sharing this one Samy, brings back some memories of when my uncle took me and a friend on board his cutter that he was skipper of. It was dry docked in Baltimore getting some work done on it. This is me with the long hair.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:51 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2533 #18 · p.2533 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:

A quick view of how coma behaves in my three f/2 wide angle MF Nikkors. Specifically talking about nightscapes lights, surely also useful for night sky shots.

These shots were taken with a DX body (D7000), so for FX results can be more extreme comas at wide open or f/2.8 apertures.

The general view of the scenario take with the 24mm, showing FOV of the 28 and 35, and the crops at extreme left border:

The results:

Love it Jose!

Just yesterday a sales guy at a local camera store tried to sell me a 24/2 AIS for $450 and you can imagine my reply

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:33 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2533 #19 · p.2533 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

The 25-50 f/4 AI-s has two rings, as you surely know Reagan, a larger zoom ring and smaller focus ring. On my copy of the lens the focus ring is nicely damped and the zoom ring is a tad looser. But until the lenses with a push pull combined ring, there is no slippage, so loose doesn't feel like a problem. In fact, I like the light touch required to zoom the lens in and out, as needed.

I remember some of those shots from your trip to Las Vegas. I imagine you'll make good use of your new lens. It
...Show more

Believe it or not, this is the shot that got me interested in MF lenses and brought me to this thread.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:38 AM
mp356
• • • •
p.2533 #20 · p.2533 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

+1 Jose. Also it is interesting to note the difference in size of the tower on the far distant hill versus the extreme telephoto shot you posted of it the other day where it filled the image!

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:08 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password