1       2       3              2525      
       2527              5888       5889       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2526 #1 · p.2526 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Most of you have heard of Joe McNally the photographer who works all around the world. Well I was reading an article on his site about lenses and decided to message him on FB to asked if he ever used MF lenses anymore. I also told him about our little project with Nikki.

I was VERY surprised this morning to see that he replied! Here's what Joe had to say:

Just fantastic. Shows the man is human - we tend to forget that our heroes also have to put their pants on, one leg at a time, in the morning. Glad to see he recognises quality in a lens too

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:35 PM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2526 #2 · p.2526 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lessons learned.

So, for my birthday trip to Williamsburg (actually on the spouse program for my wife's law firm meeting) I abandoned my Nikon D700 and all those MF lenses in favor of traveling light with the Fuji X Pro 1 and 3 primes. Bad move.

The camera performed flawlessly, and the images are very sharp with great dynamic range. However, walking down the main drag in Williamsburg, at 1:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day, tends to result in highly contrasted very bright images with very little interest or warmth. Might as well of had my wife's X100. They all look like some tourist snaps.

One thing I did learn, is that 50mm is too close and 28mm is too wide. 35mm, if I had one, would have been just right. Also, the Fuji lenses, with their sexy looking lens hoods and rubber snap on covers, are difficult to change, despite their small size and weight. Things kept falling off. I will admit the camera and the Hadley Small look damn good and got lots of looks.

Any recommendations for a Nikon 35mm?

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2526 #3 · p.2526 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Just fantastic. Shows the man is human - we tend to forget that our heroes also have to put their pants on, one leg at a time, in the morning. Glad to see he recognises quality in a lens too

Yea, that was my thought as well. As big a name in the photography world he has and yet he took the time to reply. One more thing, if you want to know how to use a flash he's the man! He's doing videos for Adorama now and they are really useful.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2526 #4 · p.2526 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Lessons learned.

So, for my birthday trip to Williamsburg (actually on the spouse program for my wife's law firm meeting) I abandoned my Nikon D700 and all those MF lenses in favor of traveling light with the Fuji X Pro 1 and 3 primes. Bad move.

The camera performed flawlessly, and the images are very sharp with great dynamic range. However, walking down the main drag in Williamsburg, at 1:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day, tends to result in highly contrasted very bright images withf very little interest or warmth. Might as well of had my wife's X100. They all
...Show more

David, I've learned that lesson and I dare say most on this thread have. If you're going to invest in a DSLR system then why not take it everywhere! My theory is not to trust important trips by trying to go light. YMMV.

There's really only one answer IMHO on which 35mm. The 35mm f1.4 AI-s and I don't even own it. I'm judging by the fantastic images I've seen in this thread from the folks who have it. Now...if I were to choose an AF 35 it would most probably be the new Sigma 35/1.4.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2526 #5 · p.2526 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 35 f/2 is all its iterations is not exactly chopped liver, but the f/1.4 is a breed apart if one wants to stay with MF Nikkor lenses. It has exceptional color and contrast. Yes, the bokeh wide open can be a touch jittery as we find with the 28 f/2 and 50 f/1.2. But it is definitely workable. The f/2 is much less expensive lens and if one is not looking for pronounced bokeh, it will do quite nicely. I had no intention to upgrade from the 35 f/2 AI-s I bought early in my MF days, but stumbled on a pristine copy of the 35 f/1.4 AI-s for a fair price and couldn't resist. I tend to prefer 28mm for street photography so the 35 doesn't get a great deal of use.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2526 #6 · p.2526 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Philip - are you scanning from negatives? If not I've had our local "photo shop" save my results to a disc and then I've processed them in PSE with acceptable results. I don't have the facility to scan negatives adedquately thus it hasn't been a problem.

I scan the negatives. Each strip I have to calibrate, but I suppose that is how it needs to be done to be accurate. There are a few thousand negs in my files I want to scan, but each needs cleanup (the auto dust removal doesn't work on neg film), so I do about a dozen every couple of month before I realize this is futile. I just scanned a few more, and they do look decent. Looking at these scans makes you appreciate even a 6MP sensor when you see how grainy 100 speed T-Max was in 1990, while we now know the lenses I used can do much better.

Peter

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:13 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2526 #7 · p.2526 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My first try with a tube(pK-13) on the 80-200 4.5 C Auto. Really nice working distance with this combo.

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2526 #8 · p.2526 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I only have good comments for the 35/2 AI ... but then again I was looking at corner sharpness and least distortion

>

Peter, I send it to a guy I found on a local forum. I mail him my negs (he used to develop too but his day job caught up with him unfortunately), he scans, removes dust and hair, then uploads into google drive. I get the link, transfer him the money and he sends my negs back to me.

Not really sure the specifics of what he does (seems rather knowledgeable on the forums that's why I went with him). Says on the exif that he use a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000ED?
The files comes back flat and a bit overexposed though I posit that I may have done it myself (I'm always on matrix with my D700 so I'm not used to the 60/40 meter on the FE2. I compensate with -1/3EV ... if I remember). Am very much a newbie with film.

But after all that's said and done, I like the way the files are flat and low contrast. I find them to be much more pliable for processing. Possibly because I tend to shoot scenes of a certain shadowed variety. And the benefits of memory, I can still bring back in my mind's eye the image I pre-visualized before I triggered the shutter.

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2526 #9 · p.2526 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sometimes though the low contrast works to one's advantage...

hey (Roll 4668 003) by Zichar, on Flickr

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:45 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #10 · p.2526 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Last year Amazing Grace music store was torn down to make way for a park. George Lucas lives in the neighborhood and decided to buy the property with its very dilapidated building. He paid for the demolition but more importantly for the shop owner, he bought an adjacent commercial building and did a rather elaborate remodel and the store moved. I visited the old store and took photos I posted on this thread. Today I went back and they were happy to let me take photos. I was most interested in bokeh play with the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. Below
...Show more

Curtis, very nice bkeh playing at the music Store.
I liked the most the first shot.

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #11 · p.2526 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Very nice portrait Georg.

–Tony

+1
Georg, I am wondering how the 24/2 would perform wide open for the same portrait.

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:16 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #12 · p.2526 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Went out to the Rod Run today. It was SO crowded! There was no room to really back up and take shots, let alone have no people in them. Plus, I found that I really didn't like the 85mm focal length for that setting. I pretty much just used the 16mm to play around and get used to it. It is quite a different beast than anything I have shot before. Plus, I don't know how you guys do it, but I couldn't get a decent sunburst for the life of me! I even stopped down to ƒ22 and underexposed
...Show more

Great set with the 16/3.5. I liked the most this one.

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:18 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2526 #13 · p.2526 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
My first try with a tube(pK-13) on the 80-200 4.5 C Auto. Really nice working distance with this combo.

Very nice, for your first attempt!

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:22 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2526 #14 · p.2526 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Great set with the 16/3.5. I liked the most this one.

+1

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:22 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #15 · p.2526 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
I wish I had time to comment on all the amazing pics up this weekend. Chin, Ben, Monty, Tony and the rest, very great pics and very inspiring.

I have managed time to actually get behind the camera, it wasn't looking good this weekend (too much beer yesterday) but things cleared up and managed to get a couple on the 55mm. This really is a lens that the more I use the more I like. One is of how amazing this lens is at extreme close ups even without tubes and the other is of a amazing sky photo to
...Show more

Mark, what a magical capture!!
Wide open?

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:23 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #16 · p.2526 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:

Well done!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:26 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2526 #17 · p.2526 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
I only have good comments for the 35/2 AI ... but then again I was looking at corner sharpness and least distortion

>

Peter, I send it to a guy I found on a local forum. I mail him my negs (he used to develop too but his day job caught up with him unfortunately), he scans, removes dust and hair, then uploads into google drive. I get the link, transfer him the money and he sends my negs back to me.

Not really sure the specifics of what he does (seems rather knowledgeable on the forums that's why I went with him).
...Show more

as long as the full tonal range is in there, flat is ok. I did some additional searching and found out that I need to scan a strip of unexposed negative strip, and then lock the scanner's exposure on that value (=solid black defined). That seems to work better than my original method that used built-in film profiles. I did the processing of that film myself, which means they are all somewhat different. The 9000ED is very similar to my scanner, and shouldn't be the reason for the negs to be any better. It is all about the settings in the software.

I'll post a few of my recent scans later today - all heavily adjusted in curves, but I don't go as far as burning and dodging yet.

Peter

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:44 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2526 #18 · p.2526 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Samy, Georg, Tony (you are correct, on a DX body FOV is 204mm), and Philippe for the kind comments.

Another fresco from the House of Casca Longus:

_D7K_20130217_1018-web-10pc-crop-nik-tonal-overlay-33pc by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/100s. ~ 10% cropped.

If anyone here wish to take a look at the stray dogs of Pompeii, here
http://flic.kr/p/e24TNk
there is an odd one: 1/2 German Shepherd, 1/2 too short legs.

Can not post here because I shoot it with an AF zoom (shame on me! ).

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:59 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2526 #19 · p.2526 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Mark, what a magical capture!!
Wide open?

Thanks very much. In answer to your question, no, at F4.0. Wide open was just insanely hard to focus.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2526 #20 · p.2526 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
+1

And me too!

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:30 PM
1       2       3              2525      
       2527              5888       5889       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell