Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2514      
       2516              4240       4241       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2515 #1 · p.2515 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

great discussion of the MF glass - comes at the right time, since I am shopping for more glass right now. Having sold my DX gear, I lost some zoom range with the DX AF glass that went to ebay, and now I am down to primes and the 24-85mm AF lens that came with the D600 kit.

I've been looking at various zooms and the 180mm ED to fill the gap between 85mm and 300mm (yes, I have a 105mm, and I have a 135mm, but that leaves a gap from 135 to 300mm, plus I use my gear while hiking and skiing in the backcountry, so weight is an issue - I can't carry 5 lenses on those trips).

Soooo - 80-200mm f4.5 - how does it compare to the 180mm F2.8 ED MF lens? I don't care too much about the speed, just sharpness and contrast. And how do these two compare to the <shudders> 70-300mm AF lens? It fits my needs for weight and range, and a refurb can be found for a reasonable price.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2515 #2 · p.2515 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Film noir.
28 2.8 ais :

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2515 #3 · p.2515 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
great discussion of the MF glass - comes at the right time, since I am shopping for more glass right now. Having sold my DX gear, I lost some zoom range with the DX AF glass that went to ebay, and now I am down to primes and the 24-85mm AF lens that came with the D600 kit.

I've been looking at various zooms and the 180mm ED to fill the gap between 85mm and 300mm (yes, I have a 105mm, and I have a 135mm, but that leaves a gap from 135 to 300mm, plus I use my gear
...Show more
Peter, the 80-200mm is every bit as sharp as the 180mm, IMO. It just doesn't have as pleasing bokeh. You probably know this, but make sure you get the one with the rectangle plate on the mount end.

Edited on Jan 30, 2013 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2515 #4 · p.2515 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Film noir.
28 2.8 ais :

FANTANSTIC Philippe, one of your best! That sky blows me away!

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:45 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2515 #5 · p.2515 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Film noir.
28 2.8 ais :

Magnifique! Leighton is right on the money - one of your best!

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:49 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2515 #6 · p.2515 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Cool shot Philippe!

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:53 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2515 #7 · p.2515 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis - So between long nose and straight nose, which is better? I have a straight nose. I would like to have a long nose, too. Would be nice to have a straight and long nose.

My recent shot with the 20mm f4. Ice is melting and it's raining. Still no colors to be found so I have to go with B&W.

Edited on Jan 30, 2013 at 07:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:56 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2515 #8 · p.2515 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The bad weather has me inside today, so I thought I'd post a few from the last snow we had.

Our Ram Waylon posing for me

The electric fence that keeps Waylon in

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:04 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2515 #9 · p.2515 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Great shot Phillippe
Chuong I love the water. Very dramatic.
Leighton these snow shots are wonderful!

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:22 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #10 · p.2515 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I like the composition Curtis. When's the last time you had the 2.5 AI-s on?

I can't remember when Leighton...

My bag is filled at the moment with 40 year old lenses with scalloped metal focusing rings. I enjoy this older version a great deal and wouldn't hesitate recommending it as a less expensive alternative to the AI and AI-s versions. Perhaps I was just lucky finding one with the Nikon AI conversion kit for under a hundred bucks, but finding value for money is one aspect of this adventure. I might not go as far as Georg and buy lenses with compromised glass, but I surely respect his experience that tells him it really doesn't matter that much. I think he is right that imperfect glass affects price more than anything else, so there are some great values for someone on a limited budget.

Its all good.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #11 · p.2515 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Film noir.
28 2.8 ais :

Stunning shot Philippe. You definitely work magic with that lens. Of course, you don't do too badly with your other lenses either...

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:32 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #12 · p.2515 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
Curtis - So between long nose and straight nose, which is better? I have a straight nose. I would like to have a long nose, too. Would be nice to have a straight and long nose.

They all have the same optical design, so I don't think "better" fits in the equation. But despite the fact I have rather normal hand size, I don't love very tiny lenses, so having two rows of nubs that are rubber, feels much better to me than one row that seems to be made of plastic. This is definitely are area where individual preferences prevail AND make no difference in the resulting image... a classic YMMV...

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.2515 #13 · p.2515 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Amazing Z .. Love it !!

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:36 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2515 #14 · p.2515 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here is a photo of my two 105mm 2.5 P lenses. The one on the left has perfect glass and works and the one on the right is the one I just bought off E-BAY for $31 It has fungus one the back element. I hope to Frankenstein the two lenses into one perfect one.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #15 · p.2515 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:

I've been looking at various zooms and the 180mm ED to fill the gap between 85mm and 300mm (yes, I have a 105mm, and I have a 135mm, but that leaves a gap from 135 to 300mm, plus I use my gear
...Show more

When the 80-200 f/4.5 AI was produced it cost the equivalent of $2,200 in current dollars. A friend who was shooting Nikon at the time longed for the lens, which got great reception, but he simply couldn't afford the price of the day. I paid $76 for the one I own, perhaps among the greatest steals I've experienced in terms of value for money.

The lens is a bit longer than the 180 AI-s but weighs a bit less. It is wonderfully sharp wide open with great color and contrast. Personally, I like the push pull zoom and focusing ring. The lens is amazing with extension tubes. Rather than turning the focusing ring I slide the push pull to gain focus.

I know you shoot fast moving objects enough Peter that you know the limitations of MF lenses in that regard. If you want this focal range and are content with MF, you really can't do better than this lens if weight is of concern. I say that to stop those who love the f/2.8 brick from offering a contrary opinion.

Here's a shot taken wide open with the bare lens...

If you're shopping for this lens look for the one with a rectangular baffle on the rear end. That is the last AI version of this lens.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #16 · p.2515 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

What a deal Ray... you'll work your magic no doubt. And, you have a friend as I recall, who can help machine the aperture ring so it will work. Although I have a preference for lenses with the AI conversion kit the fact the kit itself is no longer available for this and most other lenses, means we have to either be very patient and willing to pay a premium, OR to take matters into our own hands... Fortunately, your hands are very capable.

Aren't these old lenses sweet?

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:51 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2515 #17 · p.2515 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
They all have the same optical design, so I don't think "better" fits in the equation. But despite the fact I have rather normal hand size, I don't love very tiny lenses, so having two rows of nubs that are rubber, feels much better to me than one row that seems to be made of plastic. This is definitely are area where individual preferences prevail AND make no difference in the resulting image... a classic YMMV...

I've been reading about the noses I think the long nose is the AIS and the straight nose is the AI which has THREE rows of nubs. Ooh la la

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:01 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2515 #18 · p.2515 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wondered who had bids on lenses labelled as having hazy glass should have known it would be someone on this thread

Some stellar B&Ws on this page, starting with Philippe and Chuong.

I was waiting for someone to dump the whole encyclopedia about nikon manual lenses on the poor new guy (destined to be really poor now) Jose great compilation! Couple quick things I will add is that a 500 F4P in good shape is plenty sharp and takes tcs like TC14b and TC301 without losing very much resolution at all. One lens I would like to add is the 28 3.5PC. Has some limitations on edge distortion and have to keep it level, but I find I really use the shift funciton for many wide angle shots. I am sure the newer 24 PCE is much more advanced, but also costs 4x more.

Samy

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:07 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2515 #19 · p.2515 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow...Love it!

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Film noir.
28 2.8 ais :

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2515 #20 · p.2515 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
I've been reading about the noses I think the long nose is the AIS and the straight nose is the AI which has THREE rows of nubs. Ooh la la

The photos on photosynthesis show the difference in the nose of the two version, but I see only two rows of nubs on both focusing rings.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password