Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2505      
2506
       2507              4434       4435       end
  

Manual Focus Nikon Glass
  
 
leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #1 · p.2506 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


djjohnr13 wrote:
Wonderful, this makes me feel like I'm on Jupiter.

CGrindahl wrote:
Since you seem to be enjoying your time here, you may wish to introduce yourself. The first way you could do so would be to add your first name to your users profile. You may also with to include a location and perhaps a listing of your camera gear. We tend to be on a first name basis on this thread. This is a pretty easy group to trust. You perhaps are aware that one of our members, Ben, from Australia loaned us a lens worth three or four hundred dollars that has been circling the globe since last May.
...Show more
djjohnr13 wrote:
Thanks Curtis,

My name is John, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been using Nikon cameras for 8 years except for a brief stint with a 5D. The past few years I've mostly been working with 4x5 but since my favorite color films are disappearing I've been playing around with a D800. I prefer using manual focus lenses whenever possible as I generally prefer their rendering to the new D/G designs; they're easier to manually focus (surprise) and I often find them as sharp or sharper at the apertures I work with (most of Nikon's dev work
...Show more

John, I can smell a meet-up with Curtis and a days shooting.



Jan 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #2 · p.2506 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
OK, these are all with the 80-200mm... I had kind of a change in my thought process to taking pictures, how they are cropped, and how I do post work. I was not liking anything I was doing before (for the most part anyway). What do you all think of these. There are 8 shots I want to share, so I will split into two posts. I will try and keep the B/W's together, ditto for the color...

Negative space...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8420765343_babb27d16d_b.jpg
DSC_6447 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

High contrast (thankfully, the post work on this one is minimal, got it right in camera I think)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8421861272_881a5666be_b.jpg
DSC_6449
...Show more

Well since you ask so nicely. I love the B&W's! These are much different then what you normally shoot, I like the look. That lens never fails to amaze me for a zoom.



Jan 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM
leighton w
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #3 · p.2506 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
Here are the rest of the color images. Two more hummingbirds then other stuff.

Caught this out of the corner of my eye, had to shoot it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8420765407_9dff306892_b.jpg
DSC_6448 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Green!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8421861360_aa7a724ec5_b.jpg
DSC_6456 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr


And out of this set it would be these two. But I know some will like the bird shots better.



Jan 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2506 #4 · p.2506 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Thanks Leighton, appreciate your words. Lately I have been so disappointed with my photography that I actually considered selling everything and getting like a V1 and just doing snapshots. I sat down and looked at the work of a few of you that I truly admire and tried to figure out how you do it, what make a similar shot of mine not look as good, etc. This is the early results of that.

Any other critiques from the rest of you, send them my way. I want to learn and get better. My biggest thing I need and want to learn is black and white post work.



Jan 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
raboof
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #5 · p.2506 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I took a few shots today at a local greenhouse. 135mm f2.0













Jan 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM
wapsijims
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2506 #6 · p.2506 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Samy,

Thanks. I shoot a little of everything, flowers, landscape, wildlife, birds, mostly sitting except for the eagles at Lock and Dam 14 on the Mississippi (near where I live). Sometimes I shoot wildlife out of a blind and on a tripod/monopod. I was looking at a 600 f5.6 AiS. I currently use an 80-400 or 300 f4 AFS, but want something longer I don't have to mortgage the house for....

There isn't too else but the eagles to shoot in January in Iowa (no snow even). We did have a little freezing rain so I ran out and took these with my 105 Ai.

thanks again for the quick response.

Jim





wapsijims 2013


D800e 105 2.5 Ai





wapsijims 2013


D800e 105 2.5 Ai




Jan 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2506 #7 · p.2506 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


wapsijims wrote:
Samy,

Thanks. I shoot a little of everything, flowers, landscape, wildlife, birds, mostly sitting except for the eagles at Lock and Dam 14 on the Mississippi (near where I live). Sometimes I shoot wildlife out of a blind and on a tripod/monopod. I was looking at a 600 f5.6 AiS. I currently use an 80-400 or 300 f4 AFS, but want something longer I don't have to mortgage the house for....

There isn't too else but the eagles to shoot in January in Iowa (no snow even). We did have a little freezing rain so I ran out
...Show more

I love the second shot a lot. Welcome to the thread.



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #8 · p.2506 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
I love the second shot a lot. Welcome to the thread.


+1 Very nice!

John


Edited on Jan 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #9 · p.2506 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Ugh!
I was cleaning up my office a bit by organizing my photo gear when I spied my FE2 sitting lonely in the back of a shelf. It has a roll of Provia 100 still in it.

I threw on the 50/1.2 AIS and started taking some pictures. I noticed a bit of a funny sound when the mirror comes back down after taking the image.

Upon inspection I notice that my mirror damper/seal is totally disintegrating and the bits that are left are super sticky/gooey and they have deposited sticky goo on the mirror that keeps it from instantly coming back open.

Fortunately after a quick google search I found a couple of places that sell seal replacement kits for these old cameras at super reasonable prices AND they include all the fiddly tools you need to install the seals. Instead of an hour's worth of driving to take it to the local repair shop I ordered two kits. It looks pretty straight forward to replace the mirror damper. I may do the door seals as well.

It just feels so good to look through the viewfinder and trip the shutter butter. Though I do find myself reflexively looking at the back of the camera after I trip the shutter expecting to see a preview of the image displayed.

I'll let folks now how the seal replacement goes.

John



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2506 #10 · p.2506 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Couple more shots from today...

80-200mm @ 200mm, handheld, f/4.5, ISO1600, 1/40sec (yes, 1/40 handheld...I got so lucky)


DSC_6513 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Series E 50mm, f/1.8, handheld, 1/200sec, ISO6400. Added a little vignette in post. Was my favorite game as a kid, too bad this isn't an original version.


DSC_6559 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



raboof
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #11 · p.2506 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Rapunzel...

20mm f4









Jan 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #12 · p.2506 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


saph wrote:
I have a question about taking photos of photos. Would one of the little 55 macros (2.8 or 3.5) be the preferred way to do this? I am planning on a setup where I can prop up each picture and take images to convert to digital.

Samy


Hi Samy
I have used the 55 2.8 ais to copy old 120 negatives with good sucess. The 120's are too large to copy in most flatbed scanners. The higher end units will scan them. Mounted on a tripod with the lens pointing down, I place the negative on a slide viewing light box . I then convert in LR4 from negative to positive.
Scott



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM
CGrindahl
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #13 · p.2506 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


djjohnr13 wrote:
Thanks Curtis,

My name is John, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been using Nikon cameras for 8 years except for a brief stint with a 5D. The past few years I've mostly been working with 4x5 but since my favorite color films are disappearing I've been playing around with a D800. I prefer using manual focus lenses whenever possible as I generally prefer their rendering to the new D/G designs; they're easier to manually focus (surprise) and I often find them as sharp or sharper at the apertures I work with (most of Nikon's dev work
...Show more

Welcome John. Perhaps you noticed, if you checked my profile, that I live in Marin. I was in San Francisco this afternoon, taking a friend shopping south of Golden Gate Park near the beach. Man do I hate trying to find parking in San Francisco.

One of my favorite lines that has become a bit of a motto for this thread is that "kit building is forever." It seems you're engaged in your own version of that process. You'll get a great deal of support on this thread from folks who've had long experience with these lenses. It is clearly a benefit that these lenses are so reasonably priced. Happy shopping!

And, you're more than welcome to add you evolving kit to your profile. It is not a matter of showing off as much as a way for folks to get a clear picture of what you're using. A major part of the conversation happening here is about lenses, so knowing where a person's kit stands makes it easier to offer suggestion. Granted, it can be challenging to stay current with one's profile when lenses are coming a going, but it doesn't hurt to try.

When weather gets better, if you'd care to try out a few lens I'd be happy to get together with you to do a bit of shooting. I offered that to Ray and Reagan when I was in Florida last October and Ray felt inspired to buy his own copies of two lenses I shared with him. Reagan is too confused about what he wants in his kit to have made any hard, fast decisions at the time... But he did buy a D600 yesterday, so he has kept at least one oar in the Nikon water.



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #14 · p.2506 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
Green!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8421861360_aa7a724ec5_b.jpg
DSC_6456 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr


Kevin, two terrific sets of images. I like the "holley" in the first set, and "green" in this set. Nicely done.
Scott



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM
CGrindahl
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #15 · p.2506 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


kwoodard wrote:
Thanks Leighton, appreciate your words. Lately I have been so disappointed with my photography that I actually considered selling everything and getting like a V1 and just doing snapshots. I sat down and looked at the work of a few of you that I truly admire and tried to figure out how you do it, what make a similar shot of mine not look as good, etc. This is the early results of that.

Any other critiques from the rest of you, send them my way. I want to learn and get better. My biggest thing I need and want to
...Show more

Remember Kevin, this is an evolving process. Little doubt that spending time on this thread will inspire you, as it surely has me. It is good to see how other view a scene and then what they do with it. I find that half the pleasure and satisfaction I get out of this hobby, is what happens as I sit at the computer screen and look at the image. There are so many decisions to be made about composition and whether to convert a file to black and white. I'm very fond of graphical work of the sort Leighton highlights above, which certainly affects how I shoot in the field. But sometimes judicious cropping can take what might be an ordinary shot and elevate it. Here is an example...

What I already posted...


And this is the original image out of the camera... simply downsized.


I wanted to focus on the shadow falling on the leaf and played with how best to crop the image to get there. I don't say this is a great image, but it gives you an idea of the process. I'm doing this with images all the time. Some old timers believe the challenge is in framing the image in the camera. Yes, that is worth doing, but there is nothing wrong, in my opinion, to avail ourselves of the tools available on our computer. No more chemicals, no more fancy dodging and burning. We do it all in Lightroom and Photoshop. And I enjoy it immensely.

So keep looking at images and keep enhancing your post processing skills. It is all part of learning to enjoy photography.



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #16 · p.2506 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


raboof wrote:
I took a few shots today at a local greenhouse. 135mm f2.0

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_5939.jpg


Very nice Chuong. I am sure this is a nice change from outside where you live.
Scott



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM
MDoc9523
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2506 #17 · p.2506 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


I am flying to Ohio in the morning for a few days to attend mothers funeral. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your heart felt sentiments at her passing. To have that kind of friendship has certainly made this ordeal easier. My two brothers and I are flying to Ohio together and our sister is meeting us there, coming from South Carolina. It will be wonderful to have the family all together even though the circumstances are less than ideal. I am sure that mom is in a better place and will look down upon us with joy with our dad by her side.


Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Reagan
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #18 · p.2506 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome John. Perhaps you noticed, if you checked my profile, that I live in Marin. I was in San Francisco this afternoon, taking a friend shopping south of Golden Gate Park near the beach. Man do I hate trying to find parking in San Francisco.

One of my favorite lines that has become a bit of a motto for this thread is that "kit building is forever." It seems you're engaged in your own version of that process. You'll get a great deal of support on this thread from folks who've had long experience with these lenses. It is clearly a
...Show more


Hey, I still have a 28,50,and the 105


Reagan



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #19 · p.2506 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


raboof wrote:
Rapunzel...

20mm f4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22102440/FRED/DSC_6021.jpg





Jan 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM
mp356
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2506 #20 · p.2506 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass


Philippe, it is fun deciding what lens to use next. I am certain that whatever you choose will work like magic in your capable hands.

Jeff, thank you for the comments on the red house and the winter cemetery scenes. They are taken at two different locations on different days.

Ronny, nice image of the lighthouse. What is the stone building in the second image? An old fort?

John, thank you for the comment on the ice window image.

Shameless plug: I have my 300 f4.5 Ai ED IF up for sale on the BS Forum. Need to make way for "future" purchases. NMFAS strikes again!
Scott




Jan 28, 2013 at 01:07 AM
1       2       3              2505      
2506
       2507              4434       4435       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2505      
2506
       2507              4434       4435       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password