Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2492      
       2494              4048       4049       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2493 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

heading off to chicago this morning, seeing friends and one of my favorite bands play. Of course, it's snowing...

NightOwl Cat 2012

NIKON D3    85mm    f/1.4    1/60s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
sbarricklow
• • • •
p.2493 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Snap of R2D2

NIKON D700    105mm    f/20.0    1/15s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:03 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2493 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
heading off to chicago this morning, seeing friends and one of my favorite bands play. Of course, it's snowing...

Laura, is that your license plate? I love it!

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:17 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2493 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

No Leighton, that's not my plate. I was in line at a drive through, and they were in front of me Already have a couple of inches on the ground here, holding off on the drive for the moment.

leighton w wrote:

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2493 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:

leighton w wrote:

NightOwl Cat wrote:
No Leighton, that's not my plate. I was in line at a drive through, and they were in front of me Already have a couple of inches on the ground here, holding off on the drive for the moment.

Well it's still funny. We are expecting a couple of inches here as well.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Well, I feel I have to confess. I spent some money today. I purchased a D800 and a lens. Ya, an AF lens,
A 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S

It's kinda nice. One of my first thoughts was the possibility of selling some of my overlapping MF lenses. As I went down the list of my MF lenses I could not think of one that I should sell. I guess I'll just hord them

Nancy opened the cookie jar? Did moths fly out...

I haven't been following the thread of late but I do recall you remorse over buying the D600 rather than the D800. So you finally landed where you wished to be, which is never a bad thing. And I still have three AF lenses, so I know they aren't incompatible with MF lenses. I also know from having shot with Don's camera that MF lenses WILL work with the D800... Have fun Monty!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
My IMac burped a little when I borrowed my friends D600 and put the 24mp files on it

Reagan

The same happened for me when I processed photos taken with Don's D800 on my recently purchased 27" iMac. However, I bought the entry level computer with the i5 processor. I doubt the MacBook Pro will be happy...

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:17 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2493 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
My IMac burped a little when I borrowed my friends D600 and put the 24mp files on it

Reagan

CGrindahl wrote:
The same happened for me when I processed photos taken with Don's D800 on my recently purchased 27" iMac. However, I bought the entry level computer with the i5 processor. I doubt the MacBook Pro will be happy...

I think I'll leave this alone....

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
...Curtis - the rose is great and with my tired old eyes there is very little to choose between the 85's. I'm sure the colour and sharpening could be matched in PP and if money is an issue I'd go for the f2 - if they ever become available here!!!

I agree Peter that with judicious post processing all three lenses will produce acceptable images. That said, of course, the f/1.4 both because of its speed but also its optical design produces a sweeter bokeh... something us bokeh junkies care about. But in terms of value for money either of the slower lenses will get the job done. The advantage of the f/2 is both its smaller size AND the fact its hood is reversible. That makes for a very small package when carrying the lens in a camera bag. It is not quite as elegant as the Nikkor lenses with hoods that slide in place, but it is far superior to the fixed hood for the f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses.

You need to press your son into duty Peter since this lens is definitely available in this country. He can have it waiting for you on your next trip to the U.S. He may even make it a birthday gift...

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:40 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
A bit of money? Wow! I need to contact Webex manager! For me "a bit of money" is enough for a loaf of bread or so... I need to change my paradigm! I love yours!

But... I understand AF issue... but a zoom?... That's a heresy! This is a statement from someone who feels guilty for pre-ordering a Sigma 35/1.4....

Do not pay much attention. He's just a temporary visitor of this nice thread.

I just remembered Monty's uncle... Thanks unc!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2493 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

raboof wrote:
I have to admit that I miss the 20mm range. My latest addition, the 20mm f4 AI.

And how does that 20/4 AI do on FX?

- John

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Jose, beautiful set from the "Sayaca Tanager". Amazing, the juvenile bird looks like it's already the size of it's mum. Your bird-pictures are - not just from a technical point of view - spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

I'm doing a bit of browsing and came across this set of images from Jose and I have to agree with Georg. We truly are blessed that you participate on this thread Jose. Your work is spectacular AND you are a serious fan of Nikon MF glass with an ever expanding collection of more and more exotic lenses. These were shot with your AI'd 400 f/5.6 K lens without internal focus. You and John are definitely educating us on the less well known lenses and what they're capable of delivering. From these I'd say that lens is an absolute winner. Well done.

And stay off the streets with your priceless gear...

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

sbarricklow wrote:
Jose, Thank you. I've been following the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread for many months now, and have enjoyed all of the excellent photos that have been posted. I just purchased the 50 mm f1.2, which I plan to also use for lightning photography. I also plan to use a 24 mm f2.0, that I've had for almost 20 years. Autofocus is of no use for lightning and most storm photography. Being able to turn the focus ring to the infinity stop is definitely an advantage.

You arrived during my sabbatical but I'd like to welcome you nonetheless Sam. I know a number of the friendly folks on this thread have already greeted you. It is always a delight when folks choose to participate, whether they are new to Nikon's amazing MF lenses or old hand who've renewed their enthusiasm for manual focus photography. This is a great place both to share photos and to muse about the lenses we hope to add to our kit. As you've surely noted already, there are some very knowledgeable and talented photographers hanging out here. There is a reason it is such a busy thread... folks from around the world are having a great time celebrating these wonderful lenses that relatively speaking cost a pittance. Have fun! I'll no doubt see you on the thread.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:57 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks for the comments on the snow-pictures!

Inspired by Jose and Kevin I've tried a 50/2Ai with a reversing-ring. It's also a first try at focus-stacking:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8380724202_6f2e47f6c9_o.jpg
Rose focus-stacking try von georgsfoto auf Flickr
withered/dried tiny rose: 3 shots at f/2 (Ai-Nikkor 50/2 via BR-2A on a D700) stacked in PS - bounced flash

Takes my breath away! This is my kind of shot. All I need are flowers since I have both the lens and the reversing ring. I found tubes to be more comfortable, but I was using the reversing ring on shorter lenses, which may have contributed to the frustrating I experienced. This makes me want to shoot! Thanks Georg.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:03 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2493 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Love this, Ben!

Tony

Me too... this is my kind of shot. Love it Ben.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:10 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2493 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

As many of you know I traveled to Ohio to visit my mother to celebrate her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a wonderful day with her. She had not been doing very well but that day was like old times. I am so glad that I went because yesterday my sweet mother passed away. She has a lot of family waiting for her on the other side including my father who pass at the turning of the century. Her funeral will be on Tuesday, so my brothers and sister will be flying to attend. Thank you all for praying for her. She had a long and fruitful life and was one of the most giving person you would ever like to meet. RIP Ruth

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:33 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2493 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Couple of shots from a week ago...finally got around to posting them. You folks (along with the MF kit I now have) are really forcing me to get things right in camera before doing anything in post. These three have less than 5 minutes of post work done on them. The two abstracts are converted to B/W using channel mixer in PS6. Hope to give SEP a try this weekend.

Please, C&C the heck out of these. I feel I had hit a plateau with my photography and had lost the fire I once had. Not sure what changed in my head, but I am thinking slower and harder about my shots before I take them. I miss a lot, but my keeper rate is going up by many levels. Heck, even how I do things in post is evolving. Whole new world for me...

First two are with the 80-200mm f/4.5, ISO800

DSC_6184web by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6257web by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Series E 28mm, f/5,6 ISO100 Many say this lens suffers from edge sharpness. Bottom left of the image leads me to believe I have a very good copy.

DSC_6119web by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:38 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.2493 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Beautifully composed and converted!

+1 Georg. Very nice.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:39 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2493 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
As many of you know I traveled to Ohio to visit my mother to celebrate her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a wonderful day with her. She had not been doing very well but that day was like old times. I am so glad that I went because yesterday my sweet mother passed away. She has a lot of family waiting for her on the other side including my father who pass at the turning of the century. Her funeral will be on Tuesday, so my brothers and sister will be flying to attend. Thank you
...Show more
Condolences on your loss. You and yours will be in my prayers.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:41 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2493 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
And how does that 20/4 AI do on FX?

- John

John,

I haven't shoot much with it but I like it so far. The distortion seems to be better than the f2.8 just a little. Sharpness about the same to me. Here are some shots I just did a few hours ago with the D700. Handheld at low speed since I wanted the water to flow but this might hurt the sharpness because it was COLD.

20mm f4

16mm f3.5

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password