Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2438      
       2440              4307       4308       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2439 #1 · p.2439 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

markhout wrote:
It has been too long that I went out shooting with a Nikon MF lens (I usually shoot Samyang), but here is an effort from today. I set out to try the "Brenizer" effect (see http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2011/05/brenizer-method-instructions/), but the subject was too far away for a meaningful effect and my 105mm 2.5 vignettes a little bit wide open and I have not found the exactly right correction in LR/PS yet...

So I grabbed my basic shot at 5.6 and tried an app that I downloaded a long time ago from the Apple AppStore, called "Focus". It is one of the many 'bokeh'
...Show more

Mark, a very nice scene, but the tree looks too "cut out" in my opinion. I for my part like the B&W-processing a lot and don't think the black soil in the foreground is disturbing.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:48 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2439 #2 · p.2439 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is how NAS works. I saw that Reagan was looking for an 85mm 1.8 HC, so I thought I would check out my local Craigslist and came across a very nice copy of the 85mm ƒ1.4 D for only $675! Needless to say, I "found" some money and now have a new lens. So, you see, it's all Reagan's fault! After picking up the lens, we cruised down the road to Old Town Temecula for a walk and a bite to eat. These were all shot with the 55mm ƒ1.2.

Tony

Hot Rod by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Old Town Root Beer Company by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Kitty Piddle by T&J Photography, on Flickr

And last, but not least, a couple of MyJen.

Jennifer by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Jennifer by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Edited on Jan 06, 2013 at 03:15 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:26 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2439 #3 · p.2439 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, excellent ice-scenics! My fav is the first one - great framing and very natural, read "cool" colors.

Philippe, beautiful colors (very early signs of the spring?) on the roof-detail. I like the canal-shots a lot.

Ronny, excellent B&W-shot of the man and his fast shadow!

Rafael, thanks for sharing your insights about the 35/2 vs 35/1.4! Btw, I prefer version 1 of the shot with the paintings - grain is good;-)

Chuong, beautiful set from your D2x! I like the colors a lot (something I never get right).

Leighton, excellent images from Monticello! My favs are the "Beer room" for it's great light and the "Tunnel light" for the unusual and very effective view.

John (from Virginia) - very nice engine-detail!

Ben, love the "heatwaves"-image! The "Pitt St Mall" is great too - I like your choice of framing with a good amount of "unused" space.

Peter, I like the "boatbuilder" a lot. Great point of view and a very nice reproduction of the classic Tri-X-tones.

James, congrats to your new lens (what a deal!) and the beautiful image captured with it. It looks like a lot of work in the studio...

Monty, excellent B&W-work on the last pages! I like especially the cellphone-picture.

Tony, love the fence-shot!

Scott, very nice image of the colorful lamp-post in the snow.

Laura, very nice sets! Love "To the garage" for it's framing and 3D-look.

Mark, great work with the 55/2.8! The middle shot has beautiful, soft colors - like a painting from the dutch masters of the past. The "a long, long trail a-winding" a few pages back is wonderfully taken too.

Jeff, excellent shots from the beach! I like especially the surfers - great framing and fantastic light.

Philip, I like the composition of your courthouse-shot.

Lizzie, I'm a bit late but have to echo the chorus: that's a great landscape-shot!
It looks so 3D like I could step direct from my monitor into the Namibian nature.

Jose, the starting hawk is on of your best bird-shots in my opinion (and all of your nature-images are top-notch). Perfect timing, great framing, excellent colors and sharpness - just wow!

John, the "cold bird" and the "low clouds" are perfect.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:39 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2439 #4 · p.2439 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter - Great job with the old slides. Your technique gave the shot an interesting feel.

Ben - They all look great. Seems like that 50mm ƒ1.8 is a winner. The Circular Quay shot is awesome! (P.S. Has the 24mm PC-E shipped yet??)

Philippe - I really like the top shot, along the rail.

Leighton - Beautiful shots of Jefferson's grave. The b&w is my favorite.

John (VA) - Looks like a cool museum!

Chuong - Great shots off that D2X. I love the red on the first one!

Ray - Great find on the ice and wood shot and the Quarry Wood shot is beautiful.

Ronny - Nice set. The top one is outstanding!

Mark H - That is a gorgeous tree! I like the treatment, but that area around the trunk is a little distracting. I also don't mind the dark soil in front.

Georg - Wow, those aren't even close! I really enjoyed the shot of the boys messing around.

Tony

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:48 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2439 #5 · p.2439 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony, thanks and congrats to your 85/1.4! I have the "old" D-version too and it's one of my most loved and used Nikkors.
I like the pictures from your walk a lot - especially the interior of the hot-rod and the B&W-portrait of your better half.

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Reagan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2439 #6 · p.2439 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
This is how NAS works. I saw that Reagan was looking for an 85mm 1.8 HC, so I thought I would check out my local Craigslist and came across a very nice copy of the 85mm ƒ1.4 D for only $675! Needless to say, I "found" some money and now have a new lens. So, you see, it's all Reagan's fault! After picking up the lens, we cruised down the road to Old Town Temecula for a walk and a bite to eat.

Tony

[

Sounds like my wife it's always my fault
Nice set with the 85 though

Reagan

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:11 AM
markhout
• •
p.2439 #7 · p.2439 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kings_freak wrote:
Mark H - That is a gorgeous tree! I like the treatment, but that area around the trunk is a little distracting. I also don't mind the dark soil in front.

Tony

Thanks Tony and Georg - point taken!

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:40 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2439 #8 · p.2439 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
WOW Ray, looks like you've have found the right place to be shooting, nice shots!

Thanks Leighton. Like most things around here, it's just a matter of good light, and very selective pointing and framing of the camera that makes an interesting image. Under most normal conditions it would be tough shooting, but I am very happy to have found a place this morning for some creative expression.

Georg, the shoes crack me up. Fortunately the closest faux pax I've had with like this is black socks on one foot and dark blue on another.

Tony, congrats on that 85 f1.4. I love that FL and aperture (but have it in AF so no pictures here), I know you'll love it.

Ray

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:46 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2439 #9 · p.2439 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One last shot from today before I sign off. I'm on the fence about this image, almost deleted from LR but something still called out to me about it. Maybe it's the various shallow angle lines and geese silhouettes. ( Monty, I need you to explain the picture to me, and why I might like it, or why I should not. I even made it B&W )

Wintering Canadian Geese

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    105mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:52 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2439 #10 · p.2439 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Georg - Thanks! I think I am going to have a hard time deciding between the 85 and the 55. I really enjoy shooting with the 55, plus I can post on here!

Reagan - See, I'm not the only one who thinks it's your fault! Thanks for the comments.

Ray - Thanks! I really like that FL as well. The 85mm ƒ1.8 D just never did it for me. This lens will hopefully be much better.

P.S. My set was shot with the 55mm ƒ1.2!

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kings_freak
• • •
p.2439 #11 · p.2439 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
One last shot from today before I sign off. I'm on the fence about this image, almost deleted from LR but something still called out to me about it. Maybe it's the various shallow angle lines and geese silhouettes. ( Monty, I need you to explain the picture to me, and why I might like it, or why I should not. I even made it B&W )

Ray, I like the shot personally. It has nice lines and the silhouettes look cool. Maybe it's the washed out blacks on the right make that part of the shot look flat.

Tony

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:24 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2439 #12 · p.2439 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14 wrote:
James, beautiful image with your new 35mm.

Jeff, Caught these two of yours during my hiatus - I like em.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:59 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2439 #13 · p.2439 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
James, congrats to your new lens (what a deal!) and the beautiful image captured with it. It looks like a lot of work in the studio...

Thanks Georg. The shoe thing...hey, photogs can wear anything. People usually assume you are fashion or trend setters. I saw these five excellent contributions by you over the last few weeks. The young lady, and Santa are awesome!

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:06 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2439 #14 · p.2439 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
John, your shot of the clouds from above is one reason why I wish I was close to real mountains!! Superbly done.

Ray

Thanks Ray!

I find that many native born Washingtonians don't necessarily appreciate what they have here. I'm from Buffalo and have spent a lot of time in the midwest flatland and very much appreciate the ocean, city, mountains, & desert that Washington has.

John

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:35 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2439 #15 · p.2439 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I typically don't have the time to go through all the pages and pages of images that I miss and specifically call out many of the fine images.

There's still some old-timers of this thread around (maybe I'm one of them) that are still putting out great stuff, but I also enjoy a lot of the new stuff from more recent participants.

It's nice that even though Curtis is not around so much lately (Curtis where have you gone!?) this thread keeps rolling along just fine and remains vibrant.

Somehow we need to collect all these fine images and put them into a book - a very thick book.

Keep up the great work everyone.

John

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:42 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2439 #16 · p.2439 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
I typically don't have the time to go through all the pages and pages of images that I miss and specifically call out many of the fine images.

There's still some old-timers of this thread around (maybe I'm one of them) that are still putting out great stuff, but I also enjoy a lot of the new stuff from more recent participants.

It's nice that even though Curtis is not around so much lately (Curtis where have you gone!?) this thread keeps rolling along just fine and remains vibrant.

Somehow we need to collect all these fine images and put them into a
...Show more

I agree, and it is why I feel I should acknowledge the wonderful contributions...like yours, John.

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:04 AM
monkey

p.2439 #17 · p.2439 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi!
I stumbled upon this thread and I'm kind of confused...
There are so many wonderful photos and great information, but I am noticing that a lot of it seems to get repeated and I'm lost. I hope my questions aren't stupid or annoying and I can get some help.

I recently got a Nikon D50 at a steal and with it came the standard 18-55mm lens. I had the chance to shoot with a friends Carl Zeiss lens on his D700 and fell in love with it. I don't know much about manual photography but I found the images were so sharp and colorful.

If you were just beginning to learn photography and had the chance to get a manual lens or two, what would be your recommendation and why?

Should I stick with the Zeiss or the Nikon? What is the true difference?

Any and all help/ideas are appreciated.

Munkii

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:44 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2439 #18 · p.2439 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I found that the 50mm f/1.8 to be a great "gateway drug" into this world of MF lenses. There are many pluses in going MF, cheaper lenses, better quality...fine people here. I got into it as it forces me to slow down and think about my shots. I don't shoot as many pictures and my keeper rate has gone up. Win win all around for me.

Welcome to the addiction, enjoy your stay.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:05 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2439 #19 · p.2439 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:

Ray, the only reason some might give you not to like it is the subject matter which I believe are like our Egyptian Geese - very pretty vermin! Otherwise nice wintry photo.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2439 #20 · p.2439 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff - thank you

Ray - all "cool" images!

Ronny - beautiful light - very nice photos

Phillippe - I lve the tiles - takes me back to Provence!

Mark - beautiful shot. Good to see a "Woodcutter" spare a tree

Georg - Thank you for your comments. Very nice pic of the kids. As far as the footwear is concerned - go easy on the schnapps

More seriously though I've ben guilty of putting a Timberland boat shoe on one foot and a Dockside on the other and being very concerned about my limp!! (Senior moments!!)

Tony - congrats on the 85 and on a super set of images

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:18 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password