FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2421      
       2423              5884       5885       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Foggy14
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2422 #1 · p.2422 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi gang, eye surgery has me on the photographic sidelines this week, but wanted to echo Curtis' comments on the 28mm 2.8 ais and Philippe's fine use of the lens in his CitroŽn shot.

Since picking up this lens a few months ago, I've really enjoyed using it for landscapes.

Cheers, Jeff.

Wildlife Reserve Nkon D800 Nikkor 28mm 2.8 ais 1/4s f8 ISO 100 b&w conversion

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:29 PM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2422 #2 · p.2422 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
That might be called sacrilege but since this is a Sunday morning we should probably avoid religious discussions...

Doubtless, my decisions are shaped by my commitment to this thread, which I recognize. I'm content that not everyone is guided by the same muse. Since this is my one hobby, I feel justified in spending a bit more to stay "in the fold" so to speak. I've seen the Zenitar lens advertised and have seen photos taken with it. At a another time in my life I might have considered it as a low cost alternative but not now. If you
...Show more

Absolutely understand what you are saying. My hobby is the end result of using the tools, not the tools themselves. Just like you, I've been on the Canon side of things for a while, because at the time, those tools were the best for what I was doing. Now I am on the Nikon side, mostly because at the time I went to digital, the Nikon bodies still allowed me to use those old lenses I bought in the 1980s. However, that doesn't mean I will use those lenses exclusively.

For me, the kit I am building these days has to primarily deliver when I do landscape photography well off the highway, in a place I carry my gear to. Weight is a big concern, image quality as well. I went FX because it allows me to pack small prime MF wide angles like the 20mm f3.5 I recently bought (for $100), while it also allows me to take advantage of modern lightweight zooms like the 70-300mm without needing a sherpa team to get me to where I am headed.

I would have loved to buy a 50-300mm ED, because I still remember how I pressed my nose against the glass of the local photo shop in Germany back in the 80s, where one of these was for sale, used, for probably less than it goes for today. It was impressive, big, very heavy, and at the time too expensive. Today, I could easily pick one up, but the images this old lens will take in 2013, compared to the refurbished 70-300mm ED VR I just picked up are probably not any better, and the weight difference became the deciding factor for me to go with the plastic lens. I ma use that lens for a few years and go in a different direction, but on DX I had a 55-200mm and it served me well, so within my parameters, the AF lens made sense.

The fisheye is a specialty lens - home or while on a trip. It's probably one of those where when I pack my gear I will always go "is it really worth to carry this pound for 2 weeks?" - and based on past trips, I think I'd usually leave it behind. So the value for me is limited, even though I always loved what this lens can do, going back to watching a friend in the 90s using it as his primary "pit lane lens" in motorsports. Fantastic stuff with character, so much so that I recall some of his images 15 years later. So, I do really have reason to want that 16mm f3.5, and up to $350 is acceptable to me. Beyond that, it's really in a territory where I feel I should just save up and get the 14-24mm.

Anyway, the cool part with the MF gear is that I am still able to shoot the same 50mm f1.8 I had on my nikkormat in 1984 when I first went Nikon. I am quite sure I won't be shooting my plastic AF 70-300mm in 2042 any longer

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2422 #3 · p.2422 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

yesyes .. will try Z and Reagan;-)
can I borrow your 180mm next weekend Z ?
I've only got one with AF and then I can't post here;-)
Is a little shy of me .. probably need a 180mm ais
By the way Z..great shot

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:54 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2422 #4 · p.2422 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Heck, all this talk about the 16mm. Who would want one of those when you can get this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-10mm-OP-f5-6-RARE-LENS-/370712275837?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56502c6b7d

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:11 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2422 #5 · p.2422 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Heck, all this talk about the 16mm. Who would want one of those when you can get this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-10mm-OP-f5-6-RARE-LENS-/370712275837?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56502c6b7d

does this have VR?

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:22 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2422 #6 · p.2422 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

For anyone (Reagan) considering the 300mm 4.5 EDIF, I can only say that I love mine. It is super sharp and light weight enough to shoot BIF. I went out today to keep in practice following my friendly fowls. The lens is definately worth the money to me

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:09 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2422 #7 · p.2422 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Simply beautiful Ray!

I noticed that all of these are at f8, is this the sweet spot?

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:15 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2422 #8 · p.2422 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Simply beautiful Ray!

I noticed that all of these are at f8, is this the sweet spot?

Have to agree with Leighton. These are all just beautiful.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:21 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2422 #9 · p.2422 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thank you Leighton and Ron. The birds were a bit of a distance away and cropped about 50% so I shot at F8. It is the sweet spot for distance but it shines at 4.5 on closer shooting. All of the shots were hand held.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:23 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2422 #10 · p.2422 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Tony your portraits are simply wonderful especially this one

Ronny what a cute puppy. No wonder she loved it so much!
Reagan nice shot of Riley. Sharp eyes!
Jose great reflection on the eyes!
Phillippe I love the angle of that shot
Jeff this is one stunning shot

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2422 #11 · p.2422 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Tony your portraits are simply wonderful especially this one
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8460062859_a4717f4226_b.jpg
Ronny what a cute puppy. No wonder she loved it so much!
Reagan nice shot of Riley. Sharp eyes!
Jose great reflection on the eyes!
Phillippe I love the angle of that shot
Jeff this is one stunning shot
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/77/773177.jpg

Ray and I have the same taste today. +1

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2422 #12 · p.2422 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
Thanks, Phillioe

And Ronny, you need to "heed the call" of the request for Swedish women
and Phillipe it wouldn't hurt you to set an example for him

Reagan

Ok Reagan, here is an example for Ronny (85 HC) :

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2422 #13 · p.2422 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
Absolutely understand what you are saying. My hobby is the end result of using the tools, not the tools themselves. Just like you, I've been on the Canon side of things for a while, because at the time, those tools were the best for what I was doing. Now I am on the Nikon side, mostly because at the time I went to digital, the Nikon bodies still allowed me to use those old lenses I bought in the 1980s. However, that doesn't mean I will use those lenses exclusively.

For me, the kit I am building these days has
...Show more

Perhaps you've followed John Hinkey's journey with respect to finding a light weight kit that he can use when climbing mountains, which is his favorite pastime other than photography. He's the fellow who has bought three 16 f/3.5 lenses... even willing to sell me one of them for a fair price. Needless to say, we each build kits that suit our lifestyles and shooting preferences. We also must account for cost as well. The Zeiss 21 f/2.8 is likely the best wide prime lens but in terms of price and size it will suit only some shooters.

I'd say this thread is composed more of folks who are celebrating these particular lenses, rather than folks who are looking for "the best tool" for the anticipated use. We can do that, of course, although these lenses represent technology on a much earlier era, they still perform very well, as evidenced by what we see on this thread. In one way, that makes kit building quite simple, since we're looking only for the best deal we can find a the best condition Nikkor lens. That definitely puts us in the minority on the Nikon thread and within FM as a whole. But as we've learned over the almost two and a half years this thread has been active, there definitely are quite a few devoted fans still interested in celebrating this collection of lenses. Fred Miranda as a wonderful place in part because there are so many corners in which we can find kindred spirits... the proverbial "big tent."

I know your long history with Nikon cameras and lenses is what draws you to this thread. You still have a few of those old lenses lying around. That has motivated more than one person to participate here. It is all good.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2422 #14 · p.2422 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

and for the ladies here is the long-awaited Z's selfportrait (85HC again) :

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2422 #15 · p.2422 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

For anyone (Reagan) considering the 300mm 4.5 EDIF, I can only say that I love mine. It is super sharp and light weight enough to shoot BIF. I went out today to keep in practice following my friendly fowls. The lens is definately worth the money to me

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v71/p1425008464-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v72/p1425008474-5.jpg

http://raysteele.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v81/p1425008500-5.jpg

Ray, simply stunning images!!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.2422 #16 · p.2422 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Simply beautiful Ray
Haha.. great Z

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2422 #17 · p.2422 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

After experimenting the Nikkor-O 35/2 mostly at infinity with good results, now it is time to test the "other side": extreme macros.

The leaf widht was just 8mm and each sorus (circular structures full of spores) was just ~ 1.3mm of diameter.
Each sorus is a cluster of sporangia - structures containing spores.

Fern leaf detail with Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 F ai'd reversed. by labecoaves, on Flickr

Taken with a D7000 + BR2A reversing ring +Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 F ai'd + tripod + remote shutter trigger. ~20% cropped. f/11 at 1/6s, ISO 200.
The magnification is 1.6 (x 1.5 for DX body = 2.4x).
Even at f/11 the DOF is very thin. f/16 is not an option, since diffraction is heavy destroying the details in the image.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2422 #18 · p.2422 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Agreed, just super!! Ray those are ready for postcards or in a book. I could be standing right there in Florida looking at the birds myself.

Now let's see Ronny, Reagan and Philippe match that with their images of women

Samy

asiostygius wrote:
Ray, simply stunning images!!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:07 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2422 #19 · p.2422 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
After experimenting the Nikkor-O 35/2 mostly at infinity with good results, now it is time to test the "other side": extreme macros.

The leaf widht was just 8mm and each sorus (circular structures full of spores) was just ~ 1.3mm of diameter.
Each sorus is a cluster of sporangia - structures containing spores.

Taken with a D7000 + BR2A reversing ring +Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 F ai'd + tripod + remote shutter trigger. ~20% cropped. f/11 at 1/6s, ISO 200.
The magnification is 1.6 (x 1.5 for DX body = 2.4x).
Even at f/11 the DOF is very thin. f/16 is not an option, since diffraction
...Show more

Fascinating detail, Jose! Do you see things and say: "Okay, this would make a nice test-subject" or was this leaf shot for work?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge and fantastic images!

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:09 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2422 #20 · p.2422 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, excellent bird-shots with the 300/4.5! My fav is the first one. Congrats to your "Franken-Nikkor" ;-)
The examples are more than promising...

Philippe - love the car-portrait! Excellent choice of framing and I absolutely love your processing. Very nice portraits too ;-)

Jeff, beautiful desert-image! Very, very nice B&W-processing and the landscape is stunning.

Tony, my personal favorite from your great series is the road-shot. Wonderful!

Reagan, I like your portrait of Riley.

Ron, lovely shots!

Ronny, great image of the statue. Interesting piece of modern art.

Curtis, beautiful image of the blossoms.

Rafael, excellent work at the dance-festival!

Kevin, I like the cropped architecture detail - the wall seems to be a mix between green and yellow.
The processing of the tree-shot would work better on more isolated subjects in my opinion (a free standing tree as an example).

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password