Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2273      
       2275              4079       4080       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2274 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
John, another killer pano! How many images did you use?

Thanks Jose -

5 images. CS6 would not stitch them automatically, so I had to resort to PTGui Pro - I can almost always get a good stitching in PTGui Pro if I work enough at it. In CS6, if it won't do it automagically it won't do it at all no matter what you do.

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:41 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2274 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks Jose -

5 images. CS6 would not stitch them automatically, so I had to resort to PTGui Pro - I can almost always get a good stitching in PTGui Pro if I work enough at it. In CS6, if it won't do it automagically it won't do it at all no matter what you do.

THose files must be enormous

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:12 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2274 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
THose files must be enormous

Well, an 8 bit TIFF that is generated from PTGui at about 1/2 full resolution is about 125MB - so a 16 bit TIFF at full resolution would be ~8x larger . . . that's why I don't create full resolution panos - I save the 125MB version and then down-sample to break your monitors.

Western Digital just came out with 4TB R drives and I think I'll be re-building my raid 1 storage drive with these as I'm constantly bumping up against my 1TB drives capacity . . .

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:22 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2274 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Well, an 8 bit TIFF that is generated from PTGui at about 1/2 full resolution is about 125MB - so a 16 bit TIFF at full resolution would be ~8x larger . . . that's why I don't create full resolution panos - I save the 125MB version and then down-sample to break your monitors.

Western Digital just came out with 4TB R drives and I think I'll be re-building my raid 1 storage drive with these as I'm constantly bumping up against my 1TB drives capacity . . .

ugh.....
8x125MB= .... I can't count that high.
Who ever would have thought that we (you) would be dealing with 1GB files. Your computer must breath a sigh of relief when you walk away form it.

I'm going to be putting a 2nd hard disk in my Mac. The b/w files that go in and out of CS6/SEP2 average 200meg...
I delete so many files but my disk is filling up fast....

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:30 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2274 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here's another one of my silly little dog.

I've said it before, I really starting to like shooting at f/1.2

Resting after a long hard day :)

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    55mm    f/1.2    1/60s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:34 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2274 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

on the town shaking. When we lived at Holloman AFB, I thought for sure that some jet had dropped its landing gear on the trailer we lived in there, things shook so bad. I ran outside, and didn't see anything. Several times there would be this huge boom that would shake, and I never knew what it was, till finally someone told me about the test sled there, and the fact that it creates sonic booms. The test sled is on the ground, so the shock wave travels outward from it.

huddy wrote:
Chuong, very well done. That one is a shot to remember.

Here is a huge pano from the latest Nikki post I am working on. I though it would be a good treat.
SpaceX Rocket Development Facility in McGregor, TX:

If you look on the far left, you will see a water tower and tall cylindrical white object on stilts. That white cylinder is Grasshopper, a 10-story VTOL rocket that currently is capable of taking off and landing itself upright... I don't remember it's maximum altitude or flight time right now, but we hear tests of it nearly every day, sometimes many times
...Show more

John, have you tried Microsoft ICE yet? And Newegg had 3TB drives on sale this weekend for $90....

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks Jose -

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:59 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.2274 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

50mm f/1.2 at 1.2 on the V1, along with it broken up to full size parts, sorry for more monitor breaking.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2274 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Yep. the 50/1.2 has been measured to be the sharpest 50mm at f/1.2 in the center of the frame and I believe it. It just has low contrast and flare that robs it of apparent sharpness - but this makes it great for low contrast subjects and gives images that special look.

Like Rocky or a bottle of wine . . .

It also has a large amount of field curvature which makes focus with the center AF point and then recomposing a problem . . .

Mine is almost always used wide open, otherwise it's the 50/1.8G which has stellar resolution even on my D800, but lacks the f/1.2 look at it's measly max. aperture of f/1.8. . .

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:21 AM
James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2274 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I second Laura's suggestion about MS ICE. Been using it for quite a while now...after using auto stitch for years. ICE is magic..however, I did run into a few images it couldn't do this summer - and they happened to be mixes of land and lake/sea.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:24 AM
James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2274 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, right after you posted this - the mail man came with my winning low ball, impulse bid, 24mm lens. I knew it was in rough shape, but it turned out to be much better than I expected. So, I cleaned it and tested it. It is almost the 28mm's equal. Ever so slightly less sharp, and a little lower contrast. I couldn't be more pleased.

MDoc9523 wrote:
The 24mm is cooler in color that the 28mm but on this landscape the clarity is much the same. The sharpness is the same even at 200%

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/mdoc9523/DSC_8321.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/mdoc9523/DSC_8324.jpg

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2274 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
50mm f/1.2 at 1.2 on the V1, along with it broken up to full size parts, sorry for more monitor breaking.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/nightowl_cat/wine/DSC_3001.jpg

Nice image, of a very fine and I am certain delicious, Bordeaux! Toast!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7570830648_4fc57f2e23_c.jpg
_DSC6255 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:56 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2274 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

A few final straggler images from Maui - I promise it's almost over!

Sunset!

NIKON D800    200mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Palm In The Wind

NIKON D800    200mm    f/5.6    1/60s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Similar To A Previous Upload, But Different

NIKON D800    16mm    f/8.0    20s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:15 AM
bruni
• • •
p.2274 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Alan - beautiful stitch with nikki. Love the detail and the colour. ( a couple of sensor spots ?)

ben

nikon 200mm f4 ai by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 50mm f1.8 AIS by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 28mm f3.5 HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:09 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2274 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nikon D700, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS, Handheld, in door spiral lightbulbs, automatic white balance, and on "P" setting, at ISO Speed 320
Exposure Bias -1/3 EV

_DSC3750 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Edited on Nov 25, 2012 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2274 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Here's one that is VERY close to falling in the trash can....

Monty, that's one of your best b/w shot, imo. Love the rendering!

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:26 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2274 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8060/8215547729_8e6d644006_b.jpg
_DSC3750 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Man, it seems that you're a real connoisseur!
Roederer is one of my favorite Champagne (after Krug, of course). I recommend you the "cuvée Cristal"!

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:30 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2274 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

bruni wrote:
Alan - beautiful stitch with nikki. Love the detail and the colour. ( a couple of sensor spots ?)

ben

Ben, love that set : great creativity and very inspiring images. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:35 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2274 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Man, it seems that you're a real connoisseur!
Roederer is one of my favorite Champagne (after Krug, of course). I recommend you the "cuvée Cristal"!

I do enjoy something every so often in order to afford what I feel fit, and well, affordable as well! I had recently stayed in the french wines category, until I recently deiced to try a different region, and went with an Argentinian, and in my opinion, it was an excellent choice! My one most used method of choice however, is one by Robert Parker Jr., and his affiliation The Wine Advocate. The 2010 Tikal Patriota Argentina Mendoza I shared previously was rated 91 I believe, and for $16.00 USD at our Bevmo, I feel it was way worth its price, that, and I feel stupefied that I only bought one!

2010 Tikal Patriota Argentina Mendoza by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

LOUIS ROEDERER Champagne ∞ BUBBLES by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:46 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2274 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Parker is the worst thing that happened in Bordeaux since Philoxera
He imposed the new world taste for too sweet wine and the Bordeaux wine makers produce "Parker's wines" now because they prefer money rather than good taste. It's a pity!

But you're right, there are good wines all over the world (even if the best ones are French and Italian )

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:09 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2274 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Parker is the worst thing that happened in Bordeaux since Philoxera
He imposed the new world taste for too sweet wine and the Bordeaux wine makers produce "Parker's wines" now because they prefer money rather than good taste. It's a pity!

But you're right, there are good wines all over the world (even if the best ones are French and Italian )

Aphid, or not, I feel my tastes are in the same realm as his own, of course he is herald as the tater, and I, just a humble drinker. I have had multiple Bordeaux in the affordable range, and to me, some were less to my pallet, than others. For instance, some had a taste of higher alcohol taste, and some were more pungent than others, however, I go with what I enjoy, and R.Parker is used as a reference.

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password