FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2233      
       2235              5887       5888       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2234 #1 · p.2234 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, Scott, Reagan, Jose & others. Thank you for your comments of the various photos.

Reagan wrote:
My wife says to put my big boy pants on and "Man Up"
Reagan

Now I'm still a dozen or more years off a colonoscopy, but I could have sworn if they still do these how I think they do you will need to take off your big boy pants...and I recommend the taking the 28mm rather than the 180!
The shot of the hospital over the water is great though, and the second of the rail bridge set.

Samy, nice set of the orchid trying out the different lenses. To me the first (50mm 1.2) is the nicest but none of them are slouches for sure.

Monty - love the shot of the guy walking. You're style really was made for the 85mm.

Jose - lovely colours in your rainy day shot.

Americo - very lovely portraits of your son. Such an incident as happened yesterday I think is so hard for anyone to try to comprehend, let alone a child, and it is so good you try to spend time to help him understand. I know my wife cried when she read about it.

Philippe - Very interesting shot of the Fort de Vaux, I always thought there was more left of the fort than that - unless the remains are mainly the underground system? Coming from the Antipodes we learnt more about Gallipoli than about the war in mainland Europe, but I always thought Verdun was underrated in the New Zealand education both as to it's significance and horror, I remember reading about it for the first time and being staggered as to the numbers lost there.

A slightly cheerier subject, the waterfront at Stockholm with the 50mm at f8.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM
rankamateur
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2234 #2 · p.2234 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Sam decided it is plant day. Jose probably has a lot of these flycatchers. 50 1.4 AI-S

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:00 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2234 #3 · p.2234 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
VERY COOL!!!!!
I predict you will LOVE this lens!

NightOwl Cat wrote:
YAY! It's a lot of fun!

I can't wait...I went back 12 or so pages in Google search looking to read up on it, not a ton of information out there.

Do you all use the built in filters? I can see that being very handy on my film bodies.

Is it Thursday yet??

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2234 #4 · p.2234 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, Mark, thanks for comments.
Mark, yes, the remains are mainly the underground system.
I'm not surprised by what you say : each nation especially knows its own history and there was many Australians and New Zelanders in Gallipoli (we call that bloody battle "Les Dardanelles" here). For example, I'm not sure that all the guys in US know that France fought in Vietnam before them (50,000 french soldiers were killed there from 1945 to 1954)

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:15 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #5 · p.2234 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ron, nice capture!
What about the size of this "flycatcher"?

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:16 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #6 · p.2234 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I can't wait...I went back 12 or so pages in Google search looking to read up on it, not a ton of information out there.

Do you all use the built in filters? I can see that being very handy on my film bodies.

Is it Thursday yet??

Like Dylan, I have this same doubt about the filters. Anyone have used them? Or just kept the "normal" N position?

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:25 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2234 #7 · p.2234 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, I think either you or John has mentioned the TC-16A before, for semi AF for the 500 F4 P. I think though to work on the D800 it needs a mod.

Samy

asiostygius wrote:
This is a sacrilege!!

I think a far more elegant "solution" for AFocusing a 500mm f/4 P lens, with the bonus of reaching 800mm, is here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3121174

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.2234 #8 · p.2234 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Place de la Carrière, Nancy, with 50 1.8 ais :

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:30 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #9 · p.2234 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Jose, I think either you or John has mentioned the TC-16A before, for semi AF for the 500 F4 P. I think though to work on the D800 it needs a mod.

Samy

For sure Samy, it appears the mod works on D200 and newer cameras including D800.
For D2h and D2x no mod was necessary. It is a shame Nikon changed things with newer cameras.

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:32 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #10 · p.2234 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Monty, Mark and Ray (Ohio) for the words.

This additional menacing clouds capture (again a not overdone HDR) is for Monty:

Menacing clouds approacing the city - HDR with Nikkor 135mm f2 AIS by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + 135mm f/2 AI-S (manual focus) + tripod + remote trigger.
ISO 100, f/8 at 1/50s (0EV shot).
3 shots (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV).

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #11 · p.2234 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Place de la Carrière, Nancy, with 50 1.8 ais :

Philippe, your "hated" 50/1.8 is working very well!!!

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:34 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2234 #12 · p.2234 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Like Dylan, I have this same doubt about the filters. Anyone have used them? Or just kept the "normal" N position?

I tried all the filters. Once was enough. Maybe if you were shooting in Black and White. I saw a guy on another forum hold an 87mm Polarizer or something around that large in front of the end of the lens with his hand. It worked but it had to be huge or you would see your hand or the filter edge. John is the certified expert shooting outside with one.

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:34 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2234 #13 · p.2234 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Americo, try getting a SC-17 (less than $40) to move the flash off camera, you can hold it in your left hand after you acquire focus, especially on some of the closer in shots, and bounce the light off the ceiling. Don't have any young'uns here to demonstrate at the moment, but I'll see if the cats will cooperate later. If you do manage to find your way to any of the following: SB-600, SB-800, SB-700, SB-900, or SB-910, you can even eliminate the cord and use the pop up flash to trigger the flash remotely. Lots of fun
...Show more

Thank you for the comments, and suggestions, I appreciate them very much! I actually do have 20 ft long sync cord for off camera flash, but then things got to messy, so I bought this device that attaches to the flash and allows the pop up flash to set the flash off! I do some off camera flash, I used to have some strobes, alienbee 300, and one Elinchrom 600RX with a beauty dish, and Rotalux Recta 35.5'' X 43'' (90 X 110) sofbox, however, i was carried away, sold them, and bought my current sysytem! I have not mastered bounced off light yet sadly, so for the most part I work around my flash onboard! Not many people around me like having their photo's taken, so I chiefly focus on whatever still ife I have around the house, and some pet's as well! Funny you should mention it, and the flash stands, I so own some, and I have brought them out to test since Friday, in order to practice for Christmas photo's, however, no one want to be my test dummy, or maybe, I should refrain from calling them test dummies? Thanks again, and happy photography!

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:51 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2234 #14 · p.2234 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
I tried all the filters. Once was enough. Maybe if you were shooting in Black and White. I saw a guy on another forum hold an 87mm Polarizer or something around that large in front of the end of the lens with his hand. It worked but it had to be huge or you would see your hand or the filter edge. John is the certified expert shooting outside with one.

I do shoot a lot of B&W....John, any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:56 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2234 #15 · p.2234 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I do shoot a lot of B&W....John, any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan -
I've only accidentally used the filters on the 16/3.5 - when I've accidentally moved the selector for the filters - then I found it almost impossible to get the color right in post.

I can see how you'd have to have something HUGE (or something perfectly spherical to wrap around the lens) in front of the lens for a filter in order to not get it in the picture.

Not sure what else to say I guess.

John

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2234 #16 · p.2234 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Dylan -
I've only accidentally used the filters on the 16/3.5 - when I've accidentally moved the selector for the filters - then I found it almost impossible to get the color right in post.

I can see how you'd have to have something HUGE (or something perfectly spherical to wrap around the lens) in front of the lens for a filter in order to not get it in the picture.

Not sure what else to say I guess.

John

I think if you are using film the filters may be useful.

If you are shooting digitally I believe the filter are of no use. Like John, I mistakenly had one of the filters over the lens once. I too could not get the WB corrected.

If you convert to b/w plugins can nondestructively apply filters.

It is my feeling that one should get as much information into the raw fils as possible. Using a filter just restricts the amount of information. Polarizing and ND filters may be an exception....

Monty (the opinionated one)

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #17 · p.2234 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty and John, excellent feedback. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2234 #18 · p.2234 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Monty and John, excellent feedback. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

We can tell you one thing. Anything 5ft and further in front of that lens is sharp and in focus. I wish I had more use for mine.. I need to get creative like Monty

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2234 #19 · p.2234 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the good news Ron. Just waiting the arrival of the ai ring from Ray. The lens I have in hands is a "F" version, impossible to mount on my D3 or D7000!

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2234 #20 · p.2234 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks for the good news Ron. Just waiting the arrival of the ai ring from Ray. The lens I have in hands is a "F" version, impossible to mount on my D3 or D7000!

All I can picture is you lying on the ground about 1ft away from some Raptor trying to get a picture with the 16 3.5!

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password