Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2050      
       2052              3792       3793       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2051 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

kwoodard wrote:
Not sure if I posted this before or not... Best dessert wine ever!

Series E 50mm 1.8r

Very nice! Warm colors and great focus!

Monty

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:14 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2051 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lion on the loose in Oshkosh....

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    85mm    f/2.8    1/80s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:17 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2051 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
With bokeh like that it sure is not any short lens. It reminds me of my 400

Ron, you're close.

Thanks Monty, but you still should guess

philipj wrote:
Dare I guess you got a 200 f/2 Alan? That bokeh's just divine.

Philip, you're also pretty close; the 200/2 in the B&S was tempting but didn't show up until after I bought this; what I bought wiped out wiped out any more big purchases for awhile...

David Antilley wrote:
Same here.

David

Ray and David, this one is a new lens, although the 180/2.8 can produce some pretty smooth bokeh of a similar quality to this.

Keep the guesses coming!

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:30 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2051 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty,
The pictures of your uncle are very touching. The sunset of life can be a very poignant time, and I'm glad your uncle has caring family and doesn't live in neglect like so many other seniors in this country.

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.2051 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I cheated and looked at the Exif right away
Very nice photo Alan

Reagan

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2051 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

huddy wrote:
Ron, you're close.

Philip, you're also pretty close; the 200/2 in the B&S was tempting but didn't show up until after I bought this; what I bought wiped out wiped out any more big purchases for awhile...

Ray and David, this one is a new lens, although the 180/2.8 can produce some pretty smooth bokeh of a similar quality to this.

Keep the guesses coming!

Hmmm... close to 400 and close to 200... my math says 300... Congrats Alan! I hate you! I'm jealous on you! I'll rob you!

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2051 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rankamateur wrote:
With bokeh like that it sure is not any short lens. It reminds me of my 400

philipj wrote:
Dare I guess you got a 200 f/2 Alan? That bokeh's just divine.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Alan I am guessing the 180 2.8

David Antilley wrote:
Same here.

David

huddy wrote:
Ron, you're close.

Keep the guesses coming!

Well, by deductive reasoning, if Ron says 400mm and Philip says 200mm, and both are wrong. Then it MUST be a 300mm! And judging by that beautiful bokeh, it's faster then the f4.5.

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:44 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2051 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Alan,

Beautiful picture. My best guess would be the 135mm f2.0 since I haven't own any other lens that can produce such bokeh.

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:47 PM
raboof
• • •
p.2051 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Take my guess back since it's close to 400mm
Here are some of my last images with Nikki. She is packed and ready to meet Laura.

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:52 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2051 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

huddy wrote:
Ron, you're close.

Keep the guesses coming!

No more guesses are needed. One of us is close at 200 and one is close at 400. It is certainly not a zoom lens with that bokeh so the middle is 300! As you wiped out any more big purchases it can not be a 300 4.5. That only leaves one lens! One of the best Nikon ever made. 300 2.8

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saph
• • • •
p.2051 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Given the way the background is wiped out and the Alan's budget for more lenses is wiped out for a while, I am going to throw in my hat into the ring for a 400 Maybe a 400 2.8 AIS?

Here's the 400 2.8 AIS from the photosynthesis site as evidence

leighton w wrote:

Well, by deductive reasoning, if Ron says 400mm and Philip says 200mm, and both are wrong. Then it MUST be a 300mm! And judging by that beautiful bokeh, it's faster then the f4.5.

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:05 PM
saph
• • • •
p.2051 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

All right, didn't read the whole post, 400 and 200mm are both out.

Apart from the 300 f2.8, how about the 500 f4P as a possibility? That's another one that's close to 400..

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2051 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan wrote:
I cheated and looked at the Exif right away
Very nice photo Alan

Reagan

Reagan, I'd expect no less from you!

raboof wrote:
Alan,

Beautiful picture. My best guess would be the 135mm f2.0 since I haven't own any other lens that can produce such bokeh.

I see you took back your guess. The 135/2 is another nice lens that would be fun to own. Oops, better add it to the wishlist. (My wife is probably groaning somewhere)

Mishu01 wrote:
Hmmm... close to 400 and close to 200... my math says 300... Congrats Alan! I hate you! I'm jealous on you! I'll rob you!

Very warm, although a round trip plane ticket from Romania to DFW or Austin would likely cost more than the lens Mihai!

leighton w wrote:

Even warmer, and by deductive reasoning, if I could afford a 300/2, I would have spent the money on buying land for a family farm instead. Or a D600. Or a more fuel-efficient car. Or a really good baby-sitter once a month.

saph wrote:
Given the way the background is wiped out and the Alan's budget for more lenses is wiped out for a while, I am going to throw in my hat into the ring for a 400 Maybe a 400 2.8 AIS?

Apart from the 300 f2.8, how about the 500 f4P as a possibility? That's another one that's close to 400..

A bit colder now, although this certainly would have wiped my budget out. I think 400/2.8 would have been a bit too long and impractical for my shooting right now, not to mention having to replace my entire support system! The 500/4 AI-P would have also been a good guess. This will eventually be the next, and probably last Nikon supertelephoto I buy, even though I can't fathom using it right now, I'd find a way to use such a marvelous lens.

And we have a winner:

rankamateur wrote:
No more guesses are needed. One of us is close at 200 and one is close at 400. It is certainly not a zoom lens with that bokeh so the middle is 300! As you wiped out any more big purchases it can not be a 300 4.5. That only leaves one lens! One of the best Nikon ever made. 300 2.8

This one is one of my dream lenses, and KEH delivered a BGN gem. Nikon 300 f/2.8 ED AI-S, 1986-2005 version with the integrated clear protection filter, CT-302 carrying case, carrying straps, HE-4 hood extension, L37C drop in filter plus a spare 39mm drop in filter frame all for under $900 with free shipping. Pics to come in a bit. The serial number places it probably in the 1986-1988 range if I had to guess.

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2051 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Congrats Alan! That's quite a good deal and a fantastic lens! AND, a beautiful image.

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:46 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2051 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton. This thing is a beast to handhold, making the 180/2.8 seem like child's play!

Ben takes the cake with product photography. I had all of these great ideas like having all of my lenses bowing down before it with a subtitle like "One lens to rule them all..." and then I remembered I have a mobile 9 month old. Who really loves cameras and tries to attack my camera and tripod to play with them every he sees them. So I take what I can get. As soon as he saw me set down the tripod for theses shots, he came tearing across the floor from the dining room and my wife had to intercept him

He's currently trying to climb our dining room table to try and get the camera and a couple of lenses while I post this:

CT-302 Carrying Case:

Mounted with an F100 for size comparison.

The USPS let me down and didn't get my Wimberley lens plate today which is a shame as I was going to go out and take some pictures of the SpaceX engine testing facility that is on the west side of our town while they are testing their VTL Grasshopper Rocket. The head on the tripod is sturdy enough with my wireless releases and mirror up inside, but no way it will be stable in the 15-20MPH winds we have right now. Oh well, it will be here soon.

This gives you a view of the hood coverage with the built-in hood and HE-4 installed.

HE-4 reversed into the storage position.

I'm very glad I don't have to buy 122mm front filters for this thing...

I'm hoping to get out and put this to good work a bit more over the next few days and bring back some good shots. This is my first time use a lens that is longer than 180mm except for borrowing a TC from Curtis for my wife's graduation. Hopefully I will master it and maybe eventually buy a TC14b or TC201 for even longer reach. Much cheaper than buying that 500/4 AI-P

Edited on Oct 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2051 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow that thing's a beast! I wouldn't leave it alone for a second on the tripod while your boy's any where around. Are you going to shoot some sport at your school? This should be the perfect lens for something like football. And the TC-201 should work well with it.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2051 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Huddy, that is dead sexy right there...

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2051 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, I was planning to do this for some sports shooting: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/09/friday-night-lights.html

One last fun gearhead picture. Here is the lens with the hood extended next to the diminutive 20/3.5 AI:

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2051 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Things are finally catching up with my 96 year old Uncle. Up until a few months ago his mind was 100%. He could quote sock prices, football game scores, names and places without fail. That is rapidly changing. Suddenly his short term memory is gone, his understanding is going and his vision is very poor. He can no longer sort out his bills.

Nancy has been going to EverGreen Care Center. She writes out the checks and UC (Uncle Cork) signs them. (I'm the POA, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet)

In this picture, I am sitting in the hall,
...Show more

Monty, this is very sad, both for your Uncle but equally so for you seeing as how close you are. It is nice that he has such wonderful relatives around him at this point in time. All to the best to you and the family ... you are a good man, Monty.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2051 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

huddy wrote:
Leighton, I was planning to do this for some sports shooting: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/09/friday-night-lights.html

One last fun gearhead picture. Here is the lens with the hood extended next to the diminutive 20/3.5 AI:

Alan, great pick up !! Nice price as well. There will be some wonderful portraits coming from that lens.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password