Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2032      
       2034              4180       4181       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2033 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

105/2.5 ais, caught my younger daughter in the kitchen last year

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:24 PM
jon.oman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2033 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Felt the need to throw an image on. taken with the 105mm f2.5.

Very nice image!

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:28 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge wrote:

Oh Eric, having two daughters I can say this. You're going to have your hands full! I always wanted to sit on the front porch with a shotgun when they brought boys home for the first time,

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:33 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jon.oman wrote:
Very nice image!

Thank you Jon!

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:33 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2033 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I was thinking on the roof, with a bottle of Jack, a high-powered spot, and a shotgun. Or, maybe night-vision goggles.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:35 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2033 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Thanks Dylan, it's flare indeed. I should find a suitable sun-shade for my loved 55/1.2...

Most angular flare I've ever seen. But then, I've seen the 55mm 1.2 do some crazy things. Maybe a shade of some type helped this flare come about?

I've got one of those collapsible rubber ones myself. When collapsed, it actually squares off the end of the lens nicely. When extended, it looks like a plunger. On smaller lenses, like my 35mm 2.8 AIS, it sticks out more, and it being made of grippy rubber, it they tend to catch more in the bag. Also shown for reference is my 28mm f2 AIS with the HN-2 hood attached.

Of course Sandwich tries to get in on the act.

And apologies, these were taken quickly with the 35 1.4G.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:36 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge wrote:
I was thinking on the roof, with a bottle of Jack, a high-powered spot, and a shotgun. Or, maybe night-vision goggles.

Now you're talking! I'm just glad I survived those days, both of my girls are married now.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:45 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2033 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
I've never thought too highly of my own work. While I enjoy it myself, I never thought it would appeal to an audience broad enough to justify publication. Thank you very much for your encouragment. I think Leighton was the first to say that I should start thinking of a book, and a few people have repeated it since, and now you. I am going to start looking at what I do in a different light. Maybe there is an audience...if so, I would have never known if it weren't for the fantastic people in this thread.

I know I
...Show more

A fellow I was quite close to quite a few years ago has made a career out of doing photo-journalism. He has self published a number of books, one on farm workers, one on the Mexican border, one on Texas death row, one of conditions in Mississippi. He is now employed by the University of California and is rather well regarded for his work. His name is Ken Light. Here is a link to his website.

http://www.kenlight.com

Although the audience might not be huge for photos of folks on skid row, there is a long photographic tradition of such documentary work. Your work is gritty and real Dylan. Now you need to find a venue for sharing it beyond what happens on this thread.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Most angular flare I've ever seen. But then, I've seen the 55mm 1.2 do some crazy things. Maybe a shade of some type helped this flare come about?

I've got one of those collapsible rubber ones myself. When collapsed, it actually squares off the end of the lens nicely. When extended, it looks like a plunger. On smaller lenses, like my 35mm 2.8 AIS, it sticks out more, and it being made of grippy rubber, it they tend to catch more in the bag. Also shown for reference is my 28mm f2 AIS with the HN-2 hood attached.

And apologies, these
...Show more

The rubber ones work fairly well, but I had to take mine off of the 28-50mm, it wasn't wide enough and caused vignetting.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:49 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2033 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

stedge wrote:

Very nice!!!! Wonderful eye!!!
Monty

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Dylan, that's another fantastic set. You should really think about a possible book-project.

DTOB wrote:
I've never thought too highly of my own work. While I enjoy it myself, I never thought it would appeal to an audience broad enough to justify publication. Thank you very much for your encouragment. I think Leighton was the first to say that I should start thinking of a book, and a few people have repeated it since, and now you. I am going to start looking at what I do in a different light. Maybe there is an audience...if so, I would have never known if it weren't for the fantastic people in this thread.

I know I
...Show more
CGrindahl wrote:
A fellow I was quite close to quite a few years ago has made a career out of doing photo-journalism. He has self published a number of books, one on farm workers, one on the Mexican border, one on Texas death row, one of conditions in Mississippi. He is now employed by the University of California and is rather well regarded for his work. His name is Ken Light. Here is a link to his website.

Although the audience might not be huge for photos of folks on skid row, there is a long photographic tradition of such documentary work. Your
...Show more

See, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:52 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.2033 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Philipe I LOVE the shot of the dog in the backpack!! Fantastic and so funny!

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:58 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2033 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:

Although the audience might not be huge for photos of folks on skid row, there is a long photographic tradition of such documentary work. Your
...Show more

Ken Light is an inspiration. Thank you Curtis, you are nothing if not kind. I have a lot of thinking to do.

leighton w wrote:
The rubber ones work fairly well, but I had to take mine off of the 28-50mm, it wasn't wide enough and caused vignetting.

Yes, they do on my 28mm as well. The HN-2 is great, it feels like it is a part of the lens, it stays put and is wide enough. Might not do enough on the long end of your 28-50 though.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:59 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2033 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The topic of rubber lens hoods has come up before. I know they work well and that Nikon even sells them. But I simply can't put a rubber hood on one of these lenses. That means, of course, that for a couple of lenses I have the screw-in hood that is a pain in the butt... the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and 85 f/1.8H AI'd for example. A few lenses, including the 50 f/1.2 AI-s, 55 f/1.2 S-C AI-d and 85 f/2 AI-s have reversible hoods that took me awhile to understand, but I'm happy now. And of course, we have the wonderful lenses with sliding hoods... some of which work better than others.

Different strokes and all, but not for me...

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2033 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks, Monty and Leighton. And, Leighton, I'll have that Jack ready!

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2033 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, I typically agree, and I don't use them at all on my 35mm. My 55 is a different story. I do use it there on occasion. Mostly I go 'hoodless' on all my lenses mind you. At least on the 55mm, it just dissapears when not in use. I used to catch my fingers on it while trying to focus quickly, but not any more.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:11 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.2033 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That ebay 180/2.8 is mine... or at least its paid for. Can't wait to get my hands on it! I was halfway hoping someone else would buy it today and remove temptation but when I got home from work and it was still there, along with more 'encouragement' from the thread here my will power faded.

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my winery images!

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:30 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2033 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton - thanks! I wasn't sure on how to process the drummer and finally opted for this style.

Dylan, thanks for your advice about the hood! Maybe I try the sun-shade from my 50/1.2 as first attempt.
The 55/1.2 already proved to be kinda unique in the flare-department: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/1873#10956764
Curtis - and other 55/1.2-users: what hood sits on your 55?

Eric, cool portrait of your daughter!

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:33 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2033 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vpik01 wrote:
That ebay 180/2.8 is mine... or at least its paid for. Can't wait to get my hands on it! I was halfway hoping someone else would buy it today and remove temptation but when I got home from work and it was still there, along with more 'encouragement' from the thread here my will power faded.

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my winery images!

Way to go! It is a great lens!!!!
You'll love it

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:33 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2033 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
The topic of rubber lens hoods has come up before. I know they work well and that Nikon even sells them. But I simply can't put a rubber hood on one of these lenses. That means, of course, that for a couple of lenses I have the screw-in hood that is a pain in the butt... the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and 85 f/1.8H AI'd for example. A few lenses, including the 50 f/1.2 AI-s, 55 f/1.2 S-C AI-d and 85 f/2 AI-s have reversible hoods that took me awhile to understand, but I'm happy now. And of course, we have
...Show more

How about if you use center inch lens caps with them? I only have one rubber lens hood and I agree, not very nice putting them on these lenses. Kinda like a women dressed to the nines and then wearing sneakers!

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password