Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2028      
       2030              4309       4310       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2029 #1 · p.2029 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The one in the loading dock is excellent Monty. Love bright-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel shots.

And georg, fantastic textures but err what's in the barn? The Golden Goose?

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:25 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2029 #2 · p.2029 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Had the opportunity to shoot this past weekend with the trusty 50mm Series E. I think that so many people snub their noses at Series E lenses that I think I am going to focus on them for my purchases. I like the underdog in most things, so...

Start with one of my favorites from the weekend...

Screams Fall by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Another Fall shot...

As Summer fades into Fall by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Iced tea reflections by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Sunflower petal on wood by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Lastly I think this is the sharpest picture I have taken to date. No cropping in this one... I captured literally the split second before my daughter burst out laughing as she was watching a little girl dive head first into a pile of loose hay. She couldn't believe her eyes.

Laser focus by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:30 AM
vpik01
• • •
p.2029 #3 · p.2029 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kevin - glad to hear you are loving the 50/1.8 Series E. I've got one of those little guys myself, my only 'pancake' lens and it does get out from time to time. My only gripe with it is really the close focus distance... not sure exactly what it is but I prefer mine closer. That said it has become my go to lens for throwing on a camera for a bike ride. Can't beat the size.

Speaking of can't be beat, I was getting ready to rave about your mason jar shot when I scrolled further to reveal the wonderful shot of your daughter. Those eye's are killer! Great backlighting on her hair, and the intense gaze just makes the shot. Well done!

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:48 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2029 #4 · p.2029 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vpik01 wrote:
Kevin - glad to hear you are loving the 50/1.8 Series E. I've got one of those little guys myself, my only 'pancake' lens and it does get out from time to time. My only gripe with it is really the close focus distance... not sure exactly what it is but I prefer mine closer. That said it has become my go to lens for throwing on a camera for a bike ride. Can't beat the size.

Speaking of can't be beat, I was getting ready to rave about your mason jar shot when I scrolled further to reveal the wonderful
...Show more
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. The manual lens is really forcing me to think about my shots more and I find I have more keepers than I used to and I end up taking less shots... I really like that.

The minimum focus distance on the Series E 50mm 1.8 is 2 feet. I wish it could be closer too. Easy enough to do with tubes or a close up lens on the front. This lens was an unexpected gift (came with an old Nikon FG I believe) and I love it. The focal length and FOV with it on my D7000 is a little odd, but the color reproduction and clarity is great!

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:18 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.2029 #5 · p.2029 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Have anyone compared the viewfinder of D600, D700 and D800 for manual focus? I'm fine doing MF with D700 (stock focus screen), but sometimes it's difficult for lens at f2 or faster (e.g. using ZF MP 100 ).

I am interested in a D600 but if the VF is any worse than D700 I would be more interested in a D800.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:34 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2029 #6 · p.2029 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wilfred, AFAIK, they are all the same in terms of MF accuracy. The stock screens only show a change in DOF down to 2.8. You can verify this by setting a lens to 2.2 and hitting the DOF preview button. If the viewfinder does not get any dimmer, and if the DOF doesn't change in the viewfinder, that's because what you are seeing, no matter what lens, is the DOF of a f2.8 lens.

With my modified screen taken from an old Miranda Sensomat, I can see changes in DOF al the way down to f1.2. Setting 1.4 and hitting the DOF preview does indeed show a change in the viewfinder.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:38 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2029 #7 · p.2029 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Someone recently mentioned the 50mm Series E. I have one, and it's twin brother, the 50mm 1.8AIS pancake. I like it, it's a sharp little lens.

This mans name is Dana. He frequents my back alley, always wearing something outlandish. He is not very trusting. We talked for sometime about what kinds of things he was finding in the dumpsters before he would allow me to take his photo. Dumpster diving is an active profession in my neck of the woods. I've always wanted to do a project on these people who work hard foraging through the things we cast aside.

50mm 1.8AIS, wide open.

I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but I don't think I'd eat here.

55mm 1.2

I can't believe this guy was standing up. I wanted to learn more about him, but he was bordering on violent.

55mm 1.2

These 2 were super friendly, didn't bat an eye when I targeted them with my camera.

35mm 2.8AIS

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:47 AM
vpik01
• • •
p.2029 #8 · p.2029 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. The manual lens is really forcing me to think about my shots more and I find I have more keepers than I used to and I end up taking less shots... I really like that.

The minimum focus distance on the Series E 50mm 1.8 is 2 feet. I wish it could be closer too. Easy enough to do with tubes or a close up lens on the front. This lens was an unexpected gift (came with an old Nikon FG I believe) and I love it. The focal length and FOV with it on my
...Show more

Mine came on a FG as well! Makes sense I guess... the FG, 50 and 75-150 make a good light kit while shooting film.

Calling all 180/2.8 shooters, and recent purchasers... I've recently misplaced my 180/2.8 AF (non-D) lens... how I have no earthly idea... really, how do you loose a lens that size?!? I'm careful with my gear in and out of the house so this really bothers me. Could be that it was taken during an outing, I don't have any shots with it in about a month...

But I must move on... and I have to say I've been interested in the AI-S version for a while. I'm already sold on the lens, what it does and all that, my only question is on price range... I'm seeing a couple used ones in the $300 range (E-, '7' ratings on B&H and Adorama), KEH only has one right now and it's up in the $400's for a EX one which I'm sure is great. Do you guys think $300 is pretty reasonable?

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2029 #9 · p.2029 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Prices have probably moved up a bit but you should be able to get a very clean copy of this lens for $350, perhaps a bit less. I stumbled on a pristine copy with its original box for $300 on craigslist. I even found one that is a bit rough on E-Bay for $210 that might be worth checking out...

180 f/2.8 AI-s on E-Bay for $210

Happy shopping. The 180 is a great lens!

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:49 AM
philipj
• • •
p.2029 #10 · p.2029 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dylan, really enjoying your street shots. That 50 f/1.8 is no slouch!

A 9-shot "Brenizer method" panorama with the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s from earlier today.

Trinity Bellwoods Sue by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philipj
• • •
p.2029 #11 · p.2029 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Prices have probably moved up a bit but you should be able to get a very clean copy of this lens for $350, perhaps a bit less. I stumbled on a pristine copy with its original box for $300 on craigslist. [snip]

Happy shopping. The 180 is a great lens!

I paid a little closer to $400 CAD, my copy is pristine. I have a love/ambivalence relationship with the lens, it produces beautiful images but I feel no strong draw to mount it to my camera. I find the size and weight to be just a little higher than I am comfortable with (the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s however poses no problem), and my hand holding technique, while it has gotten better since getting the lens, is still not great. The image really jumps around more noticeably in the viewfinder than with the 105, so I try to keep shutter speeds way up.

That being said, Tony, $350 should net you a very good copy of the lens, and I wouldn't recommend going above $400.

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:29 AM
rolubich
• •
p.2029 #12 · p.2029 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt, the third one could be used for a woman parfume advertisement!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2026#11026104

I like the first one Monty, the B&W conversion is quite flat but in my opinion this works better in bringing out the main subject.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2027#11026341

Beautiful portrait Kevin
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2028#11026571

and Dylan Thomas
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2028#11026778

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:53 AM
Artscar2
• •
p.2029 #13 · p.2029 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
Someone here was looking for the 15MM F3.5 AI lens and I have found one for sale in EX- condition.

15MM F3.5 AI

Matt

I believe they are selling refurbs also at Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?No=20&searchinfo=Nikon+Refurbished&category=1099

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:57 AM
Artscar2
• •
p.2029 #14 · p.2029 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray -Nice work with the new lens. You are doing amazing things with it. I think you have sparked a bit of a 180 turnaround.

Ed - The train picture looks like it is coming through my screen. Great capture.

Dylan Thomas- those are quite the character studies. Well done!

Mihai- I really liked the B&W ferry shots.

Having a hard time reading everything but it is always worth a visit here. Don't slow down, I'll catch up.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:16 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #15 · p.2029 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Thanks Chuong. Lovely shot from you and lovely daughter!

Agree totally - still a little girl while your images, Phillippe, show the feminine mystique that is to come.

All three are very nice images.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:02 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #16 · p.2029 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
Stunning.

+1

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:03 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #17 · p.2029 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
You've been really nailing it Peter. Love the two shot panorama as well as the set by the waterfront. Must be nice to have spring coming your way, even as winter approaches those of us in the northern hemisphere. You'll have to entertain us for awhile...

Curtis after 40*C in the Kruger, I don't appreciate 15*C with rain!! Summer here arrives on about 10 December along with summer holidaymakers who keep our town's economy going at huge inconvenience to us retirees...........

Unless I can get onto a golf course soon, I'll drive you all mad with my pics though...

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #18 · p.2029 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dylan - you really do have to get these into book form. Really gritty images.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:08 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #19 · p.2029 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mihai - another excellent series - the portrait though is the top shot.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:10 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2029 #20 · p.2029 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray - top shots as usual. Love them.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell