1       2       3              2020      
       2022              5890       5891       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2021 #1 · p.2021 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Rinie - Great portrait of your friendŐs daughter, that should be printed and framed on their wall

Curtis - Always love your Cat pics.

Ian - I like the picture of the Doll, has a real creepy feel to it, in a horror movie kind of way.

Eric - nice portrait of your daughter.

Monty - It seems like Nikki is in good hands, nice pics. The coffee shop windows is excellent. Thanks for the B&W write up. I will have to look into that, I really like your results.

Kevin - Great ŇFree LensÓ shots, I really like the first one with the bee.

John - Love the orange skulls, especially number one with the orange lights in the background. Great to see you adapting Cats. I always find it hard to imagine that people just decide to get rid of their animals after so many years. We semi adopted a dog and a cat last year, Both were dumped by their owners (only a few months old), and by faith found their way to our front door. It was an easy decision to keep them both.

Samy - Great to see some soccer shots here. Absolutely my favorite sport. Having been a Goalkeeper for most of my life myself, I can really appreciate the last two.

Edward - Those are some beautiful fall colors you have there. Number one looks like it it should to be printed and framed.

Bert

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:10 AM
adh67
• • •
p.2021 #2 · p.2021 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Here is a photo taken with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s and then converted to BW in Lightroom. I read Monty's post processing routine and was exhausted before I was half way through... I simply can't work that hard...
]

It seems like it was worth the effort. I like how it turned out.

Bert

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:12 AM
philipj
• • •
p.2021 #3 · p.2021 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8056/8130939047_0578da8959_c.jpg

Simply amazing shot. Wish I could get that kind of shot of my girls . . . .

+1, fantastic portrait Ian! My favourite from the past half dozen pages for sure. Welcome!

Edited on Nov 04, 2012 at 06:15 AM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:14 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2021 #4 · p.2021 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

adh67 wrote:
It seems like it was worth the effort. I like how it turned out.

Bert

Thanks Bert... I think you know that bay...

I didn't comment on your close work awhile back but it was quite stunning. Of course, I know from what you've posted in the past that you are an accomplished photographer. I'm delighted that you returned to share your work with us.

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:15 AM
adh67
• • •
p.2021 #5 · p.2021 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Bert... I think you know that bay...

I didn't comment on your close work awhile back but it was quite stunning. Of course, I know from what you've posted in the past that you are an accomplished photographer. I'm delighted that you returned to share your work with us.

Thx Curtis, I am happy to be back. Work and commute get in the way sometimes during the week, but I am trying to keep up during the weekends.

In an effort to balance the cat pictures a little here is one of Vinnie at the screen door.

Bert

Nikon D300 - 50mm Ai-s f1.8

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:25 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2021 #6 · p.2021 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
One from today with the 180mm.

Great one Leighton, love the lighting on it.

Nov 04, 2012 at 07:49 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2021 #7 · p.2021 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hello everyone, it's me again Americo minus the manual focus lens, until I can scrap up the funds to get one back! I just wanted to first, thank everyone for the well wishing, for my daughter and family, and second, let everyone know that I still creep around here enjoying everyone's excellent manual focus achievements, albeit without the ability to contribute, I do of course still long to learn, and to share! The last thing I wanted to mention, was that my daughter is doing very well, and on the road to recovery, however, she has a few more steps to go, including three sessions of chemotherapy staring Monday! This is going to be another long, hard path for our family to cross, but with our strong family, great friends, and this awesome online community, plus God's love, I know we will survive it! Thank you everybody for everything! My family below!

Untitled by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

_DSC2621 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

385695_4609738371200_1617978597_n by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Nov 04, 2012 at 07:52 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2021 #8 · p.2021 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ian Boys wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I shoot quite a bit of film on old manual lenses as I love my heavy metal cameras.

The Old Man of Storr, Isle of Skye, Scotland.

Nikon FE-2 / 50mm f1.8 Series E / Kodak Tri-X.

This thread moves SO fast!

Nice shot Ian, very moody. I was up in the same area of Scotland 2 years ago and it is just a stunning part of Britain. I've been watching Autumn watch on the BBC and I want to be back there all over again.

You photos of your daughter are also really good. I like your photo of the doll, if in a slightly disturbed kinda way. So you have the 50mm 1.2 and the 50mm Series E - how many other 50mm's do you have? Which 1.2 version do you have (and Curtis will persuade you to buy the one you don't have, and if he doesn't Ben will).

Cheers,
Mark.

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:06 AM
rolubich
• •
p.2021 #9 · p.2021 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Through the coffee shop window

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2152#11089973

Super picture this one Monty, I like it a lot.

CGrindahl wrote:
Here is a photo taken with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s and then converted to BW in Lightroom. I read Monty's post processing routine and was exhausted before I was half way through... I simply can't work that hard...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2153#11090292

Perfect moment Curtis, just before she would have been covered by the tree.
I like the conversion too.

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Hello everyone, it's me again Americo minus the manual focus lens, until I can scrap up the funds to get one back! I just wanted to first, thank everyone for the well wishing, for my daughter and family, and second, let everyone know that I still creep around here enjoying everyone's excellent manual focus achievements, albeit without the ability to contribute, I do of course still long to learn, and to share! The last thing I wanted to mention, was that my daughter is doing very well, and on the road to recovery, however, she has a few more
...Show more

Very happy to hear good news about your daughter Rodriguez, thanks for sharing and best of luck.

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:21 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2021 #10 · p.2021 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some night time pics from the 1-Nov Martini-Märt (St Martins Market) here in Winterthur. All with the 50mm being pushed to it's light gathering maximum.

It's slightly popular

These children were entranced by the sales mans pitch.

Is there time to sneak one before mummy notices?

Buying Magenbrot. Yum.

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bruni
• • •
p.2021 #11 · p.2021 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Phillippe - you got me thinking about the two 20mms so I rode down to the Opera House and did a quick test.

It looks sunny in these pics but it was actually overcast and windy. They're all taken at f4. They don't quite line up because they're taken handheld - and swapping lenses. The main difference between them is probably the filter on the 20mm f3.5 UD which I've never taken off. The 20mm 2.8 is better across the frame - there's more fall off at the edges on the 3.5. The vignetting is pretty bad on the 3.5 in some shots too - so bad that it's not correctable.

But as you can see they render quite differently (is it just the filter?)

ben

(it's a lot of pics, I'm sorry - I wont post for a week to make up)

nikon 20mm f3.5 UD by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 20mm f2.8 ais by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:35 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.2021 #12 · p.2021 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
You photos of your daughter are also really good. I like your photo of the doll, if in a slightly disturbed kinda way. So you have the 50mm 1.2 and the 50mm Series E - how many other 50mm's do you have? Which 1.2 version do you have (and Curtis will persuade you to buy the one you don't have, and if he doesn't Ben will).

Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks!

I only got the 50mm f1.2 last week so I'm very much still learning with it. It is a 9 bladed ai-s. As for other 50's, I have my favourite Series E with the metal ring, an old ai-s 1.8 (turns very unevenly), a Nikkor-H f2 that is unfortunately pre-AI, and a very rough pre-AI f1.4. It is in bad shape with a little fungus but does very nice soft shots wide open so I still use it or portraits sometimes on my pre-ai bodies. Oh, an I have an old 50mm f1.8 AF too (pre AFD) that i really like, super sharp.

I know, it's daft having 6 Nikon 50mm, right? My only defence is that they've been gathered over a lot of years. And I still use the old lenses with film so they get some use.

The f1.2 is fantastic but hard to use. At 50cm the DoF is only 6 millimetres, less than a quarter of an inch. And the screen in the D700 doesn't show the DoF very well, so it takes a bit of practice and a patient subject (and a lot of missed focus). However it is perfectly sharp at f4.

Anyway, here's a wide open shot of my eldest the day I got the lens. Couldn't resist a test drive that afternoon ...

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:03 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.2021 #13 · p.2021 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
The last thing I wanted to mention, was that my daughter is doing very well, and on the road to recovery, however, she has a few more steps to go, including three sessions of chemotherapy staring Monday!

I am (very) new here but I wish you and your family best of luck! Chemo is rough.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:06 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2021 #14 · p.2021 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ian Boys wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks!

I only got the 50mm f1.2 last week so I'm very much still learning with it. It is a 9 bladed ai-s. As for other 50's, I have my favourite Series E with the metal ring, an old ai-s 1.8 (turns very unevenly), a Nikkor-H f2 that is unfortunately pre-AI, and a very rough pre-AI f1.4. It is in bad shape with a little fungus but does very nice soft shots wide open so I still use it or portraits sometimes on my pre-ai bodies. Oh, an I have an old 50mm f1.8 AF too (pre AFD) that
...Show more

Great shot at 1.2 - I think you'd have inhuman self-restraint if, upon getting a 1.2 lens, you didn't give it a few tests wide open to see how she rocks.

I think you have the record for the number of 50mms, but Curtis has a few and will agree they are all different so worth having.

Edited on Nov 04, 2012 at 11:31 AM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:42 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.2021 #15 · p.2021 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ian Boys wrote:
I am (very) new here but I wish you and your family best of luck! Chemo is rough.

thank you very much!

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2021 #16 · p.2021 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

There's a 200-600 f9.5 superzoom going for a song here R1500 ($180) and it looks in excellent condition. It is pre ai (S/N 290521) and I'm not sure how to convert it.

I just wonder if any of the collectors (Rafael comes to mind) would be interested? If so I'll do the buying and shipping etc.,

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2021 #17 · p.2021 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
[

Curtis, did you get a D800 while I wasn't looking?

Took the words out of my mouth!

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2021 #18 · p.2021 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Another one from today. This guy is the bass player for one of our jazz groups that play at the market.

Cool pic of his pick.

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:20 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2021 #19 · p.2021 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Nancy, it is a delight to have a pro share work on the thread. Georg has been entertaining us for quite some time, as has Matt. But Matt generally shoots with AF gear, so it is his personal work he shares with us. Georg is up to his eyebrows in MF Nikkor lenses, so wherever he is, he tends to find time to do a bit of work that is suitable for this thread. Now you and Lizze have arrived, increasing our quotient of working pros dramatically. I'm very glad you found us and hope you'll continue to share your
...Show more
waysaz wrote:
That's Fuji film in a Nikon camera! Most likely F90x, unless I used the old F3 or 8008. And I haven't been a working pro in a while. I have a real job now.

CGrindahl wrote:
Goes to show how much I know...

You may have a "real" job Nancy, but anyone who has worked as you have as a photographer deserves acknowledgement. My friend George, whose photo graces the current cover of the Sierra Club wilderness calendar and who just returned from a few weeks of shooting east of the Sierra Nevada mountains, has a job that helps put gas in his truck too. But when it comes to photographic chops, I'll defer to him every day of the week. Your work is impressive as well Nancy.

Forgive my playing mother hen on this thread. I've
...Show more

Curtis, don't apologize for "playing mother hen", this is a necessary part of keeping this such a wonderful thread. "No rules just right" doesn't work very well unless you're a restaurant! (Some of you outside of the US may be scratching your heads on that statement).

Nancy's contributions are impressive indeed and I'm sure she'll understand our vigilance.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:05 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2021 #20 · p.2021 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
I love your night shots you did for the paper, did they use publish them in B&W?

georgms wrote:
Thank you, Leighton! No, close to 100 percent of the pictures I take for papers these days are published in color. Maybe that's why I love to play with B&W so much. Here's the color-version of the published night-shot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/8152149273_d263388a69_z.jpg

In this case, they should have selected the B&W, it was much better!

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password