Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2018      
       2020              4431       4432       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2019 #1 · p.2019 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some first experiences today afternoon with a reversing ring (BR2A) plus a wide angle for extreme macro.

The manual of the BR2A (http://www.nikonpassion.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/manuels/Manuel_BR2aBR5.pdf) has a useful chart showing the magnification for several lenses at infinity when reversed.

Tiny flower bud with a reversed Nikkor 24mm f/2 AI-S by labecoaves, on Flickr

First test of reversing a wide angle for extreme macros. Believe that this flower bud had a diameter of just 4mm. Some dirt particles are easily detected.
D7000 + BR2A reversing ring + 24mm f/2 AI-S + tripod, ISO 500, f/5.6 at 1/200s.
According to the BR2A manual this lens magnifies 2.6x, but as the shot was made in a DX body, the real magnification was 2.6 x 1.5 = 3.9.

Extreme macro with a reversed Nikkor 24mm f/2 at f/16 by labecoaves, on Flickr

Screw detail of the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-S meter coupling shoe.
Another test of reversing a wide angle for extreme macros.
D7000 + BR2A reversing ring + 24mm f/2 AI-S + tripod, ISO 500, f/16 at 1/2s.
Even at f/16 the DOF is tiny at this magnification.
The exif shows f/2, but is wrong.
This reversed lens magnifies 2.6x, but as the shot was made in a DX body, the real magnification was 2.6 x 1.5 = 3.9.
I think my 50/1.8 needs urgently a "micro cleansing"

Edited on Oct 07, 2012 at 03:30 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2019 #2 · p.2019 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Georg! This almost snuck past me. Great photo here. The lines take my eyes through the curves again and again.

This is freaking incredible. I just sat and stared for about 10 minutes running through the image again and again.

Matt

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:22 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2019 #3 · p.2019 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
Gorgeous Leighton!

Yes, this caught my eye. I have always loved Canadian geese. They are supposedly regarded as pests in Florida and other states, but up here they are very well respected.

Great photo Leighton.

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:24 AM
adh67
• • •
p.2019 #4 · p.2019 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Some first experiences today afternoon with a reversing ring (BR2A) plus a wide angle for extreme macro.

Thee manual of the BR2A has a useful chart showing the magnification for several lenses at infinity when reversed.

good stuff, i have one of those rings as well, I need to start experimenting with that again. lots of fun.

Bert

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.2019 #5 · p.2019 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
This is freaking incredible. I just sat and stared for about 10 minutes running through the image again and again.

Matt

I agree! Love how the vanishing point is so sharp.

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:32 AM
raboof
• • •
p.2019 #6 · p.2019 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The tunnel shot is awesome, Georg.

Thank you everyone for your comments on my daughter's pictures. Here is the last one for today.

28mm Ai-S

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:44 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2019 #7 · p.2019 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, great flower bud with the 85mm, love the background colors and how they form a triangle. Also the reversed lens shots are great.

Peter, jealous of your big four and the rest of the animals, biggest around here is wiley coyote, great use of the 300mm and the D200.

Leighton, great geese shot.

There are so many excellent shots posted.

I was downtown Escondido today with the 85mm k ai. The look of these old lenses that Curtis speaks of is very real:
be warned these have some post processing to enhance the look.

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai D800 Escondido Rail Station @1.8 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai D800 Escondido city hall by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai D800 Escondido city hall 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai escondido city hall by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:47 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.2019 #8 · p.2019 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Finally, I can't help loving flowering grasses, specially Giant Ones, car is for scale:

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai kit carson grass full by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the obligatory crop for sharpness proof.

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 k ai kit carson grass by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:53 AM
rdst
• •
p.2019 #9 · p.2019 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My new old Nikkor 2/135mm AIS is here. Below few first shots with this lens and D800 all wide open.

Rolf

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:42 AM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.2019 #10 · p.2019 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
We are really blessed that we have photographers from around the world sharing photos on this thread, for as Monty suggests, it is likely not many of us will have the opportunity during this lifetime to visit all the places represented by these photos. I always enjoy your work Peter. South Africa is a beautiful country and your photos of wildlife are transfixing to me at least. And Dean, I've visited Hong Kong only once and that was the middle of the night spent in the airport as I awaited my plane to Delhi. Your photos always inspire me. What
...Show more

Curtis, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a recently retired airline pilot from January this year, and I wish I could turn back the clock and do my travels again taking pictures this time with MF Nikkors. I only started following this thread seriously sometime this year, after I stopped flying. And as a result of this, just at the end of last month I acquired 3 MF lenses in 7 days! Talk about this thread causing/inspiring trouble!

I've taken lots of pictures in my travels. And places that have fascinated me without end and made me use my cameras unsparingly are Chennai, Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata. Trips to London and holidays in the UK and elsewhere have netted innumerable images. Various parts of Europe and China, the US, Australia and New Zealand have contributed immensely to keeping me happy with my cameras.

Rinie may be pleased to know that Amsterdam is another regaling city to me. There was a year when I was in AMS thrice in every month and I was always glad to visit AMS. Many a time I would wander for hours in an old part of the city armed with just my camera, in all sorts of weather. I have never been tired of AMS.

So Curtis, like you, I would love to do all that again with MF lenses and slow down a little and enjoy and appreciate everything at a slower pace. And even pause to smell the flowers.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimmyChoo
• •
p.2019 #11 · p.2019 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
You guys are killin' me with those big works

skein |skān|
noun
a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled and knotted.
a tangled or complicated arrangement, state, or situation: the skeins of her long hair | figurative : a skein of lies.
a flock of wild geese or swans in flight, typically in a V-shaped formation.

In the same vein, I was told that a group of baboons is called a parliament of baboons. I'm sure those who dislike politicians would not be surprised at this. Is the US Congress the equivalent of parliament?

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:36 AM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.2019 #12 · p.2019 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Samy, thank you.
Your images with the 180 is interest me a lot as I have just acquired the same lens. Your suggested LAF is a great idea.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:40 AM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.2019 #13 · p.2019 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
So.... IT's gallery walk night. Some of the Photoclub members were going to meet at Ella Mae's, a shop downtown. There were models there. Some of the club people Love model photography. It's not my style. But being the friendly kind of guy I am, I went to Ella Mae's. Well surprise... surprise... It is a smut shop The models were dressed in provocative "role playing" outfits. I took one or two pictures....

They laughed at me when I asked if I could photograph her bullets

Monty

They laughed because the thought you must have a fetish that they'd never heard off.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:47 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2019 #14 · p.2019 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

One can't leave this thread for a minute....

Chuong - your daughter seems to love the leaves. Very nice.

James - the flower is beautiful - great PP

Paul - more to think about emulating

Monty - if it's that cold in October are you sure about the 90* being too hot? Nice images.

Georg - great image that for some reason immediately triggered a thought about Princess Diana's crash - strange how the (my) mind works.

Dylan - the whole series is awesome. You have the ability to bring out the inner person starkly and without pulling any punches. BTW "theatre" and "centre" are English spellings, the alternatives are American much like "color" for "colour".

Jose - thank you. As a naturalist you probably live in one of the most abundant countries on the planet but I'm sure youd love Africa too.

Monty - the latest images are all very good. You've certainly found your feet with the D600. I love the colour rendering opf this camera.

Matt - looks like you had a great time with your friends. Happy images

Rafael - good shots. I wonder how Kit Carson ever found and "Indian" in that grass?

Rolf - I don't think you're going to enjoy that lens at all Care to send it on to me?

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:48 AM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.2019 #15 · p.2019 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Leighton, that stretch of water is the unheard of Johor Causeway between Malaysia and Singapore.
You call them peppers there and we call them chillies over here. I grow some as well for home consumption.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:52 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2019 #16 · p.2019 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dylan - I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. You have the talent to use your photography skills professionally. Your images reminds me of street photogs of years past, which is a good thing. Maybe what you should do is get a portfolio together along with the story behind each image, and take it to the local art museum.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2019 #17 · p.2019 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Dean, it's a pity you're not going to Madikwe. It has a great reputation but there are plenty of other places that are also good.

Rather than buy you may be able to rent a lens from these guys http://www.odprentals.co.za/ It shouldn't be a problem for your associates to fix this up.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:54 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2019 #18 · p.2019 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Paul - Love your set, what colors and bokeh.

Monty - I've really been enjoying what you have been bringing us lately from Oshkosh.

Georg - The image from the tunnel blows my mind. It reminds me of when the starship Enterprise was about to go into warp drive.

Matt - Great set, looks like you really enjoyed yourself. I love the last one with your friend and his daughter.

Jose - Well done with the BR2A. This is one type of photography that I have a deep respect for those who do it and get it right, such as you!

Chuong - I love the shot of your daughter in the tunnel, works well in B&W.

Rafael - Very nice set, but that first one is VERY nice. It has the 3D look to it that appeals to me. Beautifully processed as well.

Rolf - Congrats on your "new" 135mm, always a pleasure to see your work.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:06 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2019 #19 · p.2019 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
It was a gorgeous day here as well. A skein of geese flying over the market.

montym wrote:
You guys are killin' me with those big works

skein |skān|
noun
a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled and knotted.
a tangled or complicated arrangement, state, or situation: the skeins of her long hair | figurative : a skein of lies.
a flock of wild geese or swans in flight, typically in a V-shaped formation.

JimmyChoo wrote:
In the same vein, I was told that a group of baboons is called a parliament of baboons. I'm sure those who dislike politicians would not be surprised at this. Is the US Congress the equivalent of parliament?

Very funny Jimmy. AND very appropriate!

Thanks for the info on the water.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2019 #20 · p.2019 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Banner cloud over the Outenquas - there is a 5500' mountain range hidden in the cloud mass. A SE gale was forcing cold air off the sea on the other side which condensed on the mountains and the whole cloud mass looked like a waterfall. amazing sight. A 3 or 4 stitch pano.

NIKON D200    28mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password