FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2007      
       2009              5889       5890       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2008 #1 · p.2008 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ok I go on Vacation for two little weeks and 61 pages have gone by along with more new members to the thread. It might take me a while to read all of that! We've had a great time over the last two weeks with a lot of photos taken. Here's one that I really liked. I call it " The Photographer" Taken with my D7000 and the 16mm 3.5 F8 1/200 This is a down payment on many hours of editing to follow

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:13 AM
waysaz
• •
p.2008 #2 · p.2008 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
I will second Curtis' welcome to doubling the women participation in this thread.

More diversity the better, and also good to see more geographic diversity too! Next best thing to visiting all these places.

I have enjoyed all the recent images from South Africa from three different photographers.

Samy

Hey thanks, guys. No problem, be yourselves. I have a brother and I used to shoot sports (OK, gymnasts).

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:50 AM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2008 #3 · p.2008 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice one Ray, look forward to some more. Glad you had a great holiday.

Jose, that sure gives a very rich sky with the two CPLs.

Monty, very nice portrait of Margret and her dog. Is Minneapolis closer than Chicago to you? I hope you don't arrive at work one day to find you pod filled by one of those big machines.

Tomorrow I am going back to Konstanz, I posted a long time ago a picture of a closed camera shop there, well I'm going to hit it when it's open this time - could be dangerous! I'm thinking the obvious holes in my collection (28, 50, 55, 75-150, 105 & 300mm) are 85mm, 180 - 200mm and 600mm, any other special gems I should look out for?

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:56 AM
waysaz
• •
p.2008 #4 · p.2008 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

So here's a couple of my gymnasts from way back in the Dark Ages - good times with big glass and push Kodachrome 200. Even got to shoot at 1/500th now and then.

Yang Bo, China, 1991 World Championships
200/2

Li Li, China, 1992 Olympics
400/2.8

Vitaly Scherbo, USSR, 1991 World Championships
300/2

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:01 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2008 #5 · p.2008 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, those are simply amazing Nancy
Plus I remember the '91 championships from my childhood; ah Vitaly Scherbo
You didn't hang on to that 300 f/2?

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:47 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2008 #6 · p.2008 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nancy and Mark, thanks for your comments.

Leighton, great Fall colors.

Philippe, love the deer shooting.

Mihai, great colors on your restaurant photo.

Eric, terrific bokeh work.

Curtis, very nice image of the under-appreciated bay area bridge.

Monty, I really like the photo of the milling machines just milling around.

Tony, great shots from Spain. I really like "San Andres."

John, very nice sun sets and the colors of the noodles are great.

Samy, cool cat!

Ray, that's a beautiful landscape.

Nancy, terrific gymnast shots. Film grain, I love it!

Here's a quick one from a nice sunset tonight.

Gull Nikon D800 Nikkor 105mm 2.5 ais 1/200s f5.6 ISO 560

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:52 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2008 #7 · p.2008 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vpik01 wrote:
Samy, Jose - thanks for the comments on the Spain shots!

John - love the sunset shots. That 36mp crop is pretty cool.

Thanks!

A few more over at "Your Best Nikon Shots" thread . . .

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:08 AM
rolubich
• •
p.2008 #8 · p.2008 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Terrific shots Nancy, I hope you will show us more pictures taken with the exotic 300mm f/2.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:29 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2008 #9 · p.2008 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for kind words Samy, Scott, Jeff and Jose.

Curtis - Very nice pano. It's interesting how they designed the bridge to be a double-decker, you don't see that very often.

Monty - Your showing off your B&W processing skills with that shot of the equipment, well done my friend!

Tony - Although the set from the F3HP are wonderful, where the heck is your D600!

John - More nice work.

Jose - Interesting experiment with the CPL's. Did you correct the color balance in post?

Nancy - Your sport shots are stellar!

Jeff - Your sunset shot is beautiful, I love hoe the Gull is centered in the frame, well seen.

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:20 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2008 #10 · p.2008 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
I want to acknowledge the presence of two women who've joined the conversation, Nancy from San Diego and Lizzie from England. Welcome! I've said that before, but it is worth saying again. Laura was the first woman to grace this thread and she arrived shortly after we began. My friend Rinie came a short while later, less because she was enamored with MF lenses than the fact she wanted to use this thread to chat with me. Rinie eventually became a great fan of MF shooting even as she made friends with a number of folks on this thread. But
...Show more

Curtis, we don't mind if they talk about good looking guys. They may just have to look on other threads

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2008 #11 · p.2008 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Ok I go on Vacation for two little weeks and 61 pages have gone by along with more new members to the thread. It might take me a while to read all of that! We've had a great time over the last two weeks with a lot of photos taken. Here's one that I really liked. I call it " The Photographer" Taken with my D7000 and the 16mm 3.5 F8 1/200 This is a down payment on many hours of editing to follow

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/mdoc9523/The%20Smokys%202012/DSC_4657-2.jpg

Welcome home Ray! We missed you. Can't wait to see more from your trip. This one is very very nice, I LOVE the processing you did on it.

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:22 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2008 #12 · p.2008 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Phillippe - STAG-gering!

Mihai- how on earth does one take 2000 pictures? I appreciate that you were doing a job but the thought of processing so many is daunting! No wonder you know your cameras and lenses so well. Nice job with the 600.

Monty - I can see why they don't want you taking pictures at "work"

Curtis - very nice comp of the bridge.

Tony - More good film shots. I loved Tri X.

John - lovely sunsets.

Jose - looks quite a lot like African savannah too.

Nancy - superb action shots. Kodachrome was also a marvellous film to use.

Jeff - one more for the wall!

Ray - nice downpayment!!

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:43 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2008 #13 · p.2008 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
Samy, as you already found it is Nikkor Nocton, a lens that I am not very confident in using it. Honestly I have better results from 55/1.2 but I'm trying hard to improve :P Unfortunately I'm not so much a night shooter and this is probably the place where Nocton shines.

Hi Mihai,
Well your work with it was pretty good. But if you feel you're not getting the right use out of it then you had best send it to me and I'll give it some night time shooting time.

I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 I can send back to you in return.

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2008 #14 · p.2008 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose, interesting experiment with 2CPL's... I'm looking forward for some more images.

Ray, welcome back... even I'm not much active here I read carefully the thread every day and I missed you. Your image is stunning... remember me of some Constable paintings... Very nice!

Nancy, a late welcome on board from myself... your film pictures are breathtaking... Did you captured any image of Romanian gymnasts? We had some glorious girls over last 35yrs...

Oosty wrote:
Mihai- how on earth does one take 2000 pictures? I appreciate that you were doing a job but the thought of processing so many is daunting! No wonder you know your cameras and lenses so well. Nice job with the 600.

Well, at least 15% were for my pleasure... then I had to deliver 100 images very careful processed and 400 more just tweaked here and there. But in order to have those 500 I needed at least 1500 to pick from... Shooting digital is very simple and for main moments I have my camera in CL or CH and take series of three - four images. The very nice thing is that since I have two cards with 32 + 64 GB space I did not downloaded any picture on my PC before to get home... I never had a card failure and this abundance of space is very convenient... D600 is a very capable tool... I am very pleased with it. The only shortcoming that bothers me is the spread of focus points... all of them to the center of the frame... sometimes there is no time to focus and recompose...

MarkdV wrote:
Hi Mihai,
Well your work with it was pretty good. But if you feel you're not getting the right use out of it then you had best send it to me and I'll give it some night time shooting time.

I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 I can send back to you in return.

Nice try Mark You can tempt me only with 200/2 or 300/2

Nov 02, 2012 at 10:46 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2008 #15 · p.2008 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
Jose, interesting experiment with 2CPL's... I'm looking forward for some more images.

Ray, welcome back... even I'm not much active here I read carefully the thread every day and I missed you. Your image is stunning... remember me of some Constable paintings... Very nice!

Nancy, a late welcome on board from myself... your film pictures are breathtaking... Did you captured any image of Romanian gymnasts? We had some glorious girls over last 35yrs...

Well, at least 15% were for my pleasure... then I had to deliver 100 images very careful processed and 400 more just tweaked here and there. But in order
...Show more

Nancy, do you still use that 200 f/2 that you used for those incredible gymnast shots (and they are stunning, that first one I assume was on the lead page of the sports section of a major paper)? Or can you send it to me so I can swap it for a 58mm noct? I can send you back a minolta 50mm and I think you said you started with that system...

Mihai, I'm impressed at how many shots you had to go through and deliver, 500 shots is a lot to have to have at the end, let alone how many you needed to take just to get that many at the end. And to have time to then take some for fun...

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:05 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2008 #16 · p.2008 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks, Mark, Leighton, Mihai and Peter.

Leighton, I was lazy (and I am not a PP expert!) so used the preset for colour management "landscape" while converting at ACR and applied a layer (50% opacity) for "autotone" inside CS5.

I don't recall exactly where, perhaps at Bjorn Rorslett site, something about getting a pseudo UV or IR image when stacking 1 circular PL and 1 linear PL filters. Even though I have just 2 circular PLs, I tried to see what happened.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:08 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2008 #17 · p.2008 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jeff, very evocative sunset + gull.

Nancy, I like as the grain adds character/atmosphere to the already excellent sport images.

Edited on Nov 02, 2012 at 02:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:11 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.2008 #18 · p.2008 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mihai, on your request, a comparison of a scenario (savannah to humid grassland transition) shot with no polarizer, one and two.
All images were straight conversions from NEF to jpge in ViewNX 2, levels/histogram adjustments and resizing at CS5.

From none to two CPL filters by labecoaves, on Flickr

A crazy test using up to 2 Circular Polarizer filters.
The scenario is a transition of a savannah (left) to a humid grassland (foreground - left).
D3 + Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI, hand held, ISO 200.
Te two polarizers give a yellowish cast to vegetation and loose some sharpness (no surprise - two pieces of glass in front of the lens!)

For those interested in a closer inspection, here there is a larger version of the image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/8147525101/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.2008 #19 · p.2008 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

WOW! Nancy (especially the first one).
WOW! Ray, I love that shot.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:41 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2008 #20 · p.2008 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nancy,

That's some super work. Did you prefocus on certain points to get those? In your experience, what is the best way to get fast-moving subjects - especially when that movement is irregular - with a manual focus lens (assuming some shallow dof)? For example, I cannot imagine having any luck shooting soccer with manual focus, unless I was just picking a spot and shooting whatever went through it. You have to know the sport, too.

Just great to be able to get those shots, well done.

Eric

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password