1       2       3              1410      
       1412              5885       5886       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1411 #1 · p.1411 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

elnj wrote:
I actually checked this out yesterday, but noticed it wasn't as advertised. I also was leery of the scratches.

Ha! I had actually noticed this lens (and put it in my eBay Watch List), too, before seeing it mentioned here! Don't worry, I'm not going to compete with you high rollers - just curious to see what it goes for. I've realized that part of my fun with this (at least for now) is finding lenses with great value for money. Now "value" is subjective of course, and there's obviously enormous value in the amazing images people have posted with some of the more expensive lenses. But for now I'm sticking down around the $100-ish price point (or less) to...Show more

I've been very impressed with the 28 f/3.5 H AI'd and imagine you'll enjoy the lens as well. I applaud your intention to begin kit building with the least expensive lenses you can find. Frankly, the eight lenses I've bought for less than $100 have been among my favorites, including the 80-200 f/4.5 AI I bought for $76, the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s I bought for $95, the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd I bought for $90. I recently bought for a friend a 55 f/3.5 AI for less than $90 that is a great lens. Had I focused on that lens earlier I would likely have bought that instead of the 55 f/2.8 AI-s I eventually bought which cost well above $100.

Nikon made many great lenses. A low price does not mean a poor lens. The 80-200 f/4.5 AI with the rectangular baffle at the back end sold for $700 in the mid-1970s, a price that after adjusting for inflation was higher than the current 70-200 f/2.8 VR 2. Although I haven't shot with it lately, it is an amazing lens, perhaps one of my best when it comes to shooting with extension tubes.

As I've mentioned before, I began buying the high price MF lenses only after liberating money from my Canon kit that I sold last year. I'm very happy to have added the premiere Nikkor MF lenses but my enthusiasm for these lenses that motivated me to start this thread came from shooting with the less expensive lenses. So have fun shopping. You can trust the fact that over time you'll be able to build your kit. As I keep saying, kit building is forever.

Edited on Jul 20, 2012 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM
vpik01
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1411 #2 · p.1411 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

John, your trip to the mountains looks fantastic. Love the pano's and that last flower shot with the sunstar. Can't wait to see the rest!!

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Thanks Monty, Georg, Scott, David, Mark for kind comments.

Here are pics of Nikki from the Pérouges Museum (with 28 2.8 ais)
#1 : Nikki with the roman emperor Claude who reigned in the first century AD and was born in Lyon.
#2 & #3 : Nikki in a fireplace with the arms of the kings of France.

Nikki looks right at home! Great shots... looking forward to the next blog update.

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:07 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1411 #3 · p.1411 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
The seller pulled the listing and the auction from Ebay. Presumably because he had it listed wrong. I had hoped to buy it cheap and check the scratches on a D40 or D60 to check it out, then have it converted. But as some of you mentioned having it listed wrong may have caused it to be sold at a higher price then otherwise it would have brought.

Matt

The seller responded to my email telling he was pulling the ad and intended to re-list it. My hope is interest in the lens will diminish and that you'll succeed at buying the lens at a good price. Of course, we're likely not the only folks who know how to play this game. Let's see how it plays out...

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1411 #4 · p.1411 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

#1 : Nikki with the roman emperor Claude who reigned in the first century AD and was born in Lyon.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/51/687751.jpg

Lovely to see Nikki visiting the sites. I note in the last photo that this lens was converted with the Nikon AI conversion kit, which makes it even more beautiful and admirable. Thanks again Ben for your remarkable generosity. And thanks Philippe for the wonderful tour you've given us courtesy of that gorgeous lens. I guess you'll be passing her along to Rolf shortly and we'll get a tour of Germany... What a delight this adventure has been!

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:13 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1411 #5 · p.1411 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

vpik01 wrote:
Curtis this one really jumped out at me! First thing I thought of was that early scene in Ghostbusters when they are in the library basement and the books are all stacked up vertically in the isles!

That's funny. The shot seems to evoke a variety of possibilities for folks. Nice to see you back on the board. Summer is time for holidays and family gatherings. You'd mentioned being busy and traveling a bit. Mine is a relatively quiet summer after my trip to Turkey this spring, so I keep the home fires burning. Look forward to seeing photos from your adventures.

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:17 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.1411 #6 · p.1411 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice to see you back on the board. Summer is time for holidays and family gatherings. You'd mentioned being busy and traveling a bit. Mine is a relatively quiet summer after my trip to Turkey this spring, so I keep the home fires burning. Look forward to seeing photos from your adventures.

The past month or so has been particularly 'intense'... not so much with sustained travel but just enough each week to keep me off a routine. I've got a ton of photo's to process. I also usually suffer from a May-Jun-July 'photo slump' which didn't really hit until now this year. Funny becuase I really hit it every year... good news is that I always snap out of it!

I've still got a couple more boat trips coming up but will have more evening time back for photo editing.

The best thing about being a part of this board is the constant inspiration from those who aren't 'slumping'... it definitely makes me want to get back in the saddle!

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:49 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1411 #7 · p.1411 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Another pano from Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains.

105/2.5 AIS + CPL on D800
f/5.6, ISO 200 at 1/500 sec

John, this shot is truly epic. Wow!

Lieutenant Z wrote:

Here are pics of Nikki from the P�rouges Museum (with 28 2.8 ais)

Philippe, it's nice to see Nikki in a much better shape than the roman emperor :-)

Roberto, amazing detail in your flower-shot, beautifully done!

Matt, the sky-picture is outstanding - congrats!

Curtis, love your pear-image!

Ray, beautiful lakescape-shot!

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:19 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1411 #8 · p.1411 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some shots from today:

DLRG-Cup von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Nice surf over here - D7000, AiS 300/4.5 IF-ED

DLRG-Cup von georgsfoto auf Flickr
brave guys and gals mastering the sea - D7000, AiS 300/4.5 IF-ED

Seagull von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a seagull with appetite for fruits

Seagull von georgsfoto auf Flickr
the apple core is history, the seagull tries to scare me (as potential food-rival) away

Warnemünder Dreifaltigkeit von georgsfoto auf Flickr
cliched shot of well-known buildings - D3s, Nikkor-H Auto 1.8/85

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:33 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #9 · p.1411 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:

I really like the one where Nikki is at the end of the long table. So nice Phillippe.

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:58 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #10 · p.1411 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
With 105 2.5 AI and 200 F4 AIS.

Curtis, thanks for posting the link for the differences amongst the lens types. While taking these pictures, I was able to finally tell the difference between AI and AIS lenses

Really great colors on the first one Samy On the Ai there is usually a lot more room o focus

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #11 · p.1411 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

rolubich wrote:
Hi Curtis, sorry for the late replay.

I think you are right, my interest for lenses technical analyses probably comes from my engineer approach to things. I like to know how my lenses work and I'm interested in sharpness because is one of the few things that you can not fix in post processing, and this aspect of lenses will be more important when I will upgrade my D700 (I know I will do, soon or later). Luckily I'm aware that this has very little to do with the aestethic value of pictures, I do my tests and comparisons just because
...Show more

I am a fan of the black background. Nice Roberto

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:02 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1411 #12 · p.1411 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oh my gosh!
This is awesome.
I cannot stop laughing!!!

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:04 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #13 · p.1411 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Some shots from today:

nice shots Georg I got a really big smile from this one too

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:04 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1411 #14 · p.1411 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
Oh my gosh!
This is awesome.
I cannot stop laughing!!!

+

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:10 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #15 · p.1411 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Here are a few more taken with the 300mm 4.5 EDIF from yesterday.

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1411 #16 · p.1411 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

jhinkey wrote:
Another pano from Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains.

Some great pics from Olympic NP, John. I had the opportunity to get up there for only a few hours about seven years ago, absolutely loved it and your pictures are bringing back a longing to be there again. The Olympic Peninsula is just such a great place to visit with such variety from surf to rainforect to mountain and all of that, reasonly tightly packed together.

Looking forward to more pics.

Ray

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:13 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1411 #17 · p.1411 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Here are a few more taken with the 300mm 4.5 EDIF from yesterday.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/mdoc9523/DSC_1551-1.jpg

Stellar shot, Ray! Love the fine details (backlit feathers...).

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:19 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.1411 #18 · p.1411 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pbraymond wrote:
Some great pics from Olympic NP, John. I had the opportunity to get up there for only a few hours about seven years ago, absolutely loved it and your pictures are bringing back a longing to be there again. The Olympic Peninsula is just such a great place to visit with such variety from surf to rainforect to mountain and all of that, reasonly tightly packed together.

Looking forward to more pics.

Ray

+1 The shot are breath taking

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1411 #19 · p.1411 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:

Sunshine all day today!!! I finally got out to put my "new" 300mm 4.5 EDIF through it's paces on some lovely birds. Here is a down payment on the shots I took today. This is a BIF of a Osprey circling the lake. F8 1/1250

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/mdoc9523/DSC_1592-1.jpg

Ray, was this handheld or on a Wimberley? Terrific picture.

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1411 #20 · p.1411 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I missed last evening and there are just far too many great photos to comment on individually. Thanks as always for sharing.

Jul 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password