Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              719      
       721              1060       1061       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.720 #1 · p.720 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary! Interesting town indeed!

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.720 #2 · p.720 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Having bought an M-Monochrom last November, and shot only B&W since then, when I was in Paris in February I read a statement on LUF by a great color photographer saying that he thought that the CCD-sensor cameras like the M9, in terms of color rendition, were more like color slide film while CMOS-sensor cameras were more like color negative film. Then, after looking at a lot of M9 color pictures, I decided to buy an M-E rather than holding out for the M240; but when I went to the dealer he had a new M9-P that was still at the Leica promotional price that had ended on December 31. This meant that the price of the new M9-P in US dollars ex-VAT came out to only a few hundred dollars more than the M-E. So far all I can say that I love the M9 colors and haven't shot with the M-Monochrom since mid-February — but I'll get back to the M-Monochrom soon...

Here four of my favorite pictures that I shot with the M9-P with the Summilux-50 pre-ASPH, except for the first one which was shot with the DR-Summicron:

Paris

Paris

Bangkok

Bangkok

When it's overcast I like to shoot the M9 at ISO 640 for the somewhat grainy look; in bright light I tend to shoot at ISO 320 and get some of the same effect when I expose for the highlights and then lift the exposure and shadows a bit in Lightroom. I haven't done much street photography in color, but here are two series, one from Bangkok and one from Paris.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:54 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.720 #3 · p.720 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, fast moving thread!

Michael, that flare is outrageously awesome! You should shoot that lens into the sun all the time.

Regarding other 35mm lenses.... I always thought the ZM35/2.8 was pretty flare resistant. I brought it along while testing the Canon 35/2 and it resisted flare much better, but in a really tough situation, such as the sun just out of the frame shining through a thin cloud layer (meaning a much larger very bright area), there was still a significant blob of purple flare in the corner of the frame. But I think the ZM does quite well with the sun in the frame, as I think the CV35/1.2 II does too, as well as the 28 Cron, as Joe showed. But with bright light sources just outside the frame, I've had the 28 Cron do blobby veiling flare as well, and have to be careful about this when I do events where I've set up strobes to light a venue. If any of those are just outside the frame with the Cron, and also all 50mm lenses I've tried, they'll suffer from veiling flare.

Here are some flare samples. Nothing outrageous with the sun in the frame because I figured the Canon 35/2 would fail miserably. But now I'll have to give it a try too.

Canon 35/2 wide open and at f/16:

ZM35/2.8 @ f/2.8 and either 11 or 16:

Canon 35/2 wide open and f/22:

Joe: you can never have enough 50s, right? Images from the Olympus look great, like the rendering of the last one of your son in particular. Great flare samples.
Phil: glad I could be of help!
Gary: great set.. someday I'll get a pre-ASPH.
Michael: regarding the 35 Cron V1... I happened to be browsing some Hong Kong stores on ebay and noticed quite a few V1s available, all in the $4000 range... is the lens really selling for that much?! The Canon works for me, so far.

Mitch, those look really nice. I think I've read some of that discussion on LUF. I'm not sure I 100% agree that it's solely the sensor that makes the difference, but then, when I went from the original Canon 1D with a CCD sensor to the 1DII with CMOS, there were some changes in how the files handled exposure similar to what I've seen with the M9 and M240 files. Like the 1D, the M9 doesn't like blown highlights, and I quite liked the look of the 1D (via Capture One's output at that time), which reminds me of the M9 a lot. The 1DII as well as the M240's files have a 'thicker' feel that is difficult to explain. That said, having played with the sample M240 DNG files shot side by side with an M9 in one of the LUF threads, I was able to get both looking very, very similar. At least for me, it's not a reason not to get the M240. In fact, having shot a wedding this weekend where half of what I did was with the M9, and frequently hitting the buffer limit, wishing for ISO 3200 or even 6400 at the reception, burning through my 3 batteries by the start of the reception and limping along on the last one at ~25-33% power while one charged (one reason I'm very glad I never updated to the recent firmware that cuts off power before it hits zero)... the M240 is looking a lot more appealing. Hopefully stock will become available by next year's wedding season, assuming I do more next year. I guess what I'm rambling at is there are a lot of other practical consideration in favor of the M240 for me (including UWA framing in live view), and I'm looking forward to adding one.
One of the first things I did after the wedding was order another battery...

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.720 #4 · p.720 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

redisburning wrote:
oh, I know. I actually own both the 3.5 and 2 versions myself.

as far as Macro Elmarit goes, I definitely think it's worth the money. It's a very good lens and probably the best f2.8 macro in that FL ballpark. I ultimately got the Zuiko 50/2 instead since I still shoot OM film cameras. Between the two, the Zuiko is faster, cheaper, and probably not any worse in performance, but is harder to find and has very noticeably hexagonal specular highlights even if it does do really, really well in OoF otherwise.

the macro elmarit has pretty darn noticeable hexagons too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:26 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.720 #5 · p.720 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, Ron, thanks for flare information and illustration. I feel better now as this is really a tough situation for any lens. but 35cron V1 is definitely the worst I ever seen. 50cron Rigid is way better than 35cron V1. I also feel Leica R is not as good as Zeiss ZF I had before. I feel the T* coating might make a difference here, though I don't know how much flare from lens design, how much flare from coating, or maybe even front element shape and size...not a expert here.

Ron, V1 is collector piece. not worth that much for sure for its optics. Pick one with Goggle. that should be in $1200~$1800 zone. Ebay price is distorted. For some lens, there are not many at 2nd market, HK dealer might buy out some of these lens and sell at much higher price. Since it is not well defined market there (size is too small), you can alter its price easily. The same apply with Leica Noct1.2, 35lux doublt AA etc...

Mitch, nice set. I like #3 the most. I feel for people don't do much post process, CCD and CMOS or just profile of them have more impact to ones' work. General speaking, changing platform (sensor) have more impact to portrait than anything else, that is my personal experience. Many times, people just so used to see the color profile from particular camera, any change will be treated as "wrong", in my case, I just love my D700's output so much for portrait, not any camera can replaced it in my heart And I have tried/trying many many cameras.

M240 has one of best sensor available. It is better than Canon's best right now, with improved electronics, it should be a great Leica. The problem is not many people can have it. I might wait for another year before I can get one myself.

35cron V1

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.720 #6 · p.720 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
I just love my D700's output so much for portrait, not any camera can replaced it in my heart And I have tried/trying many many cameras.

So true Michael. I miss my D700..

Jun 20, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.720 #7 · p.720 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Trying a rare (for me) B&W....

90cron pre-AA

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:02 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.720 #8 · p.720 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, very nice!
Michael, neat abstract composition. Yes, the collector market definitely distorts the perceived value of many lenses.

Tried some more flare tests with the Canon 35/2. I think it could add to an image, given the right subject matter. But for these, it was just whatever was in front of me...

Wide open:

@f/4:

A couple more wide open:

This one is cropped to about 1/4 the frame, just liked the way it rendered the specular highlights, which I know won't appeal to many... biggest problem I think with this lens is 1m MFD. It might be worth getting a Hawks adapter and using it on a NEX.

One last observation: wide open it has a really tiny central sweet spot that is as sharp as anything I've seen at this focal length, and gradually blurs away to a bit of a mushy low contrast hazy glow at the edges. The sweet spot gradually expands until the full frame is really good at f/5.6 and probably at its best at f/8, competitive with anything modern, other than perhaps slightly lower macro and micro contrast. Frankly, this is the kind of wide open performance that would have really bothered me in a DSLR system. For some reason I like it here. Maybe due to no shortage of nearly perfect modern wides.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:09 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.720 #9 · p.720 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, Nice portrait.
Ron, Looks like canon 35 flare as well but certainly is a lot better than 35cron V1.

Here are two BW with 35cron V1

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:32 AM
joakim
• • •
p.720 #10 · p.720 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, very nice b&w. How do you focus the 90 cron, with RF or EVF? From what I have heard the RF focusing has been improved on the M compared to the M9 so that's why I'm asking and because I have in many situation a hard time focusing my 90 Elmarit.

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.720 #11 · p.720 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Michael - I agree, I think its flare is interesting. Nice lines in those, particularly like the second image.

Canon 35/2 brick wall tests. just checking for distortion... it has some.

Middle was f/4, the others wide open..

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:46 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.720 #12 · p.720 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone!

Mitch, 2nd shot of the girl through the reflections is my favorite from the set, nice cool tones and composition. Curious, how did you put that DR Summicron on the M9?

Ron, cool flare test, thanks for sharing. The last 35/2 set is excellent, love the color,s angles and bricks The Canon 35/2 ltm seems to handle flare in a nice way, nice atmosphere to the shots. Looking forward to some of your M9 wedding pics, if you are allowed to share. Did you bring along your 200-400L for the wedding shoot? That would surely impress the guest!

Michael, excellent shots with the 35CronV1. Shell station on #1? 2nd B&W shot is also really nice.

Gary, excellent B&W portrait with the 90Cron. I like the tonality on this shot.

sebboh wrote:
the macro elmarit has pretty darn noticeable hexagons too.

So does the OM 50/3.5 Macro

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, V1 is collector piece. not worth that much for sure for its optics. ...... Since it is not well defined market there (size is too small), you can alter its price easily. The same apply with Leica Noct1.2, 35lux doublt AA etc...

I was following a listing on ebay for a 50 1.2 Nocti last night and it was hoovering at $4 to 5k for a long time (a super sweet deal if it could be found below $10k) but it finally sold for over $13k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310687549704?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This one is probably my all time favorite dream lens
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111083690316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

As Ron mentioned, the M9 is an excellent camera, but it does show its limitations at times for some types of photography, ie low light, slow buffer, etc. I'm definitely not going back to a M9 now that I have a M(240), operational and speedwise, my M(240) feels like a leap from the M9, speedwise, it is like an older generation DSLR, which is still miles ahead of the M9. Besides, I can shoot macro and other older DSLR lenses.

OM 50/3.5 Marco on M(240)

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.720 #13 · p.720 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
...Mitch, 2nd shot of the girl through the reflections is my favorite from the set, nice cool tones and composition. Curious, how did you put that DR Summicron on the M9?...

Joe, thanks — that's also my favorite: it's shot through two sets of bus windows (with the Summilix-50 pre-ASPH) — in other words I was sitting on a bus when her bus passed by. It was February, hence the cool tones.

I had the cams of the DR-Summicron filed down by DAG, since I wasn't planning to use it in the close-up range.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.720 #14 · p.720 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, the Olympus looks great on the M240 - are you sure you really need a Leica 60 or 100 macro?

Just a few more from wandering around with the Canon 35/2 wide open:

I guess at this distance it's no match for the Sonnar in the RX1 for background smoothness:

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:35 PM
joakim
• • •
p.720 #15 · p.720 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

After Olympus and Canon it's time for some Zeiss.

25 Biogon and 50 Planar

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:43 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.720 #16 · p.720 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Joe, the Olympus looks great on the M240 - are you sure you really need a Leica 60 or 100 macro?
/quote]

The 60mm f2.8 Macro Elmarit is an excellent performing "normal" and macro lens. The 100mm f 2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit lens is a superb performer.

Rich

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:46 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.720 #17 · p.720 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, we can only mount one lens on a camera at one time? I think even the 100-R APO seems inexpensive compared to how much new M glass sells? The OM 50/3.5 will do for now for what I intend to use it for. Its not as sharp as the newer ASPH lenses, feels more like an older generation DG Leica Summicron, but its fun Those out of focus rendering on the Canon 35/2 seems slightly nervous, otherwise it looks tack sharp especially on the cones and sweater! Excellent set and thanks for the GAS!

Joakim, excellent shots, the ZM25 looks really sharp! ZM50P seems to do well in B&W, I need to give it a try soon.

and yes, time for some Zeiss, but a 1936 prewar version. CZ Jena 50/2 uncoated collapsible

on the subject of flare - I love this lens in B&W

wide open, f/2

Jun 20, 2013 at 06:31 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.720 #18 · p.720 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, nice color and pattern from both set.
Joe, what is special about that $30000+ lens? that is the first time I heard/saw it. I like your first BW portrait a lot.
Joakim, 25 biogon certainly look great here!

Another bug shot from 35cron V1.

My son get impatient when I was trying to find a better composition. I don't mind add some blue to the pic

And here is him on the train. He just got a big bump on his mouth, so he was very frustrated!

Jun 20, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.720 #19 · p.720 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Gary, very nice b&w. How do you focus the 90 cron, with RF or EVF? From what I have heard the RF focusing has been improved on the M compared to the M9 so that's why I'm asking and because I have in many situation a hard time focusing my 90 Elmarit.

Hey Joakim. I just use the RF for focusing and it works quite well. TBH - I am not a big fan of using the EVF and much prefer the RF. It may be that I do not yet have enough experience using it. I really like the bright frame lines on the M240 and feel that my keeper rate is much improved over my M8. I have heard of many others stating that their keeper rate (focusing) on the M240 is much improved over their previous M bodies.

Edited on Jun 21, 2013 at 01:41 AM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.720 #20 · p.720 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 + ZM 50 planar

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM
       721              1060       1061       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell