Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              696      
       698              1007       1008       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.697 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Joe, thanks for all the comparison shots. Great information about 35 voigtlux, wonder how it compare 35lux pre-ASPH. 50mm f1?? did you just get a new lens?

I hinted with my "Nocturnal" delight post earlier Yes, I bought a Nocti f/1.0, E60 4th version with build in hood. It was CLA'ed and checked by DAG and focus seems spot on on my Monochrom. The problem is, the lens is really unsharp at f/1.0 on my copy. I guess this is the "look" it produces? The out of focus rendition is what makes this lens popular and kind of makes up for the lack of sharpness at f/1.0 I was (and am still) debating between the f/1.0 or f/0.95 version.

Do you think the above looks OK? It seems to me, nothing is in focus.

May 23, 2013 at 01:11 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.697 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Derek, I am drawing into that picture. So peaceful.

Joe, I wish I can struggle with decision between the two No, I cant afford either. Can't judge sharpness at this size, but you need ask yourself if it meet your threshold for sharpness. I have one in my mind and not very high But if it was me, 0.95 is the one. A truly master piece for just what it can do. It is sharper than 50lux slow down. At 0.95, POP is crazy. Only down side of that lens is size and very occasional busy bokeh, but that is 0.95 Bokeh, whoelse has that?

Edward, I forget offer my suggestion about your choice of 21. If I am in the market again, I will choose either 21 SEM or Voigtlander 21. Zeiss 21 is great lens, no flaw to me, but I feel it will lose sharpness (before f5.6) to SEM, and character/versatility to Voig. I have planned to add 15 Voiglander for a while for its specialty and size and PRICE.

35 and 50 are two must have in M line. You really need ask yourself do you prefer 21 to 25 as focal length need but not optics, that is way more important to me even there is difference in optics performance. (Though, I doubt it has much.) Id keep 25 and get 15 for the reason listed if you must have a change. Otherwise, I feel your line of lens is just fine

If only keep 4 lens in the bag, I will bring 18 instead of 85mm, just because rangefinder is so powerful at wide end. but that is just me.

A 50lux ASPH WO

May 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.697 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Interesting observation Derek, I didn't notice the front focus as I was preoccupied with back focus when stopped down. I expected the lens to be calibrated for optimum focus at f/1.4 since this was what I have read on Sean Reid's test and elsewhere. I'll retest again when I have some time, but nonetheless, I like this lens as an alternative to the 35Lux for the price and closer focus distance, albeit the CV 35/1.4 has quite noticeable distortion. How was the performance of your 35Lux, did it have significant focus shift?

i never really explored the focus shift issue with the 35 lux pre-asph since i was using it on a liveview camera, i'd expect it must have a fair bit though given the amount of spherical aberration in has. the 1m mfd might minimize the effect of the focus shift to some extent too.

i posted some examples and crops of it's performance on the leica vs zeiss thread here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190503/0#11353473
here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190503/2#11355984
here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190503/2#11356120
and here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190503/4#11368028
here's a real world sample that i'm pretty sure is wide open too:

and stopped down a ways:

May 23, 2013 at 08:27 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the samples and links! The 35Lux pre ASPH looks really good both wide and stopped down in your samples. I'll keep an eye out for this lens and I agree if the price of a 35CronV1 is where it is at the moment, I rather have the 35Lux pre ASPH.

Michael, nice shot! The 0.95 seems too perfect for me, and I could probably live with a 50Lux ASPH for a similar look past f/1.4. The 50/1.0 is somewhat different but I am struggling with sharpness wide open, it really is quite soft at MFD. Need more practice.

@f/1.0

May 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Another fun test, this time with 50Lux pre-ASPH E46 (0.7MFD). Shot at 1m distance as I was comparing it to the Nocti f/1.0

Tripod, DNG out of camera

@f/1.4

@f/2

@f/2.8

@f/4

@f/5.6

@f/8

Focus test @1m with 1:1 crop

@f/1.4

@f/2

@f/2.8

@f/4

@f/5.6

@f/8

May 24, 2013 at 02:58 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, congratulations for the Noctilux. Indeed it looks soft wide open, but I think it's kind of expected and the effect is actually quite pleasing. The Summilux however, even pre-asph, is superb and worth every penny

Zhangyue, Thanks for the advice about the 21. Beautiful shot of the wife and son.

May 24, 2013 at 08:42 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 + Planar 2/50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

May 24, 2013 at 08:48 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward! The Nocti 1.0 seems soft wide open especially at closer distances. It supposingly sharpens up at further distances and I have confirmed this with other users over at LUF and with CharlesK. It also sharpens up stopped down past f/1.4. I'll share some fun test shots later with a comparison to the 50 pre-ASPH at f/1.4. Don't want to clog up bandwidth on this page

I like your bench composition above with the two persons sitting "virtually" inside. Cool! Really like the contrast on the ZM50P. Have you decided on your lens lineup or had a chance to try the CV 21/1.8?

May 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Joe! Certainly a fun comparison between the lux and the nocti would be very interesting. Looking forward to see it. As for my lens line up, I decided to keep the 25 for now, as I feel it is plenty wide for my shooting style, and the results have been so far very satisfying. I will eventually replace the 85 with a 90 cron or a ZM if the promised wide aperture Zeiss turns out to be a tele lens.

May 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 SC wide open at 16" close focus

May 24, 2013 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very sexy! Look at that 3D from the Nikkor

May 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.697 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
As for my lens line up, I decided to keep the 25 for now, as I feel it is plenty wide for my shooting style, and the results have been so far very satisfying. I will eventually replace the 85 with a 90 cron or a ZM if the promised wide aperture Zeiss turns out to be a tele lens.

Great choice which 90cron?
and another nice shot with lovely color.

Joe, you sick sicker than me. I have 7 50mm lens peak include SLR ones. you? I am waiting for the ultimate shoot out.
50mmlux f1.4 looks great at f1.4. that is expected from MTF. I know I will like it, the problem is fund.

May 24, 2013 at 05:18 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Zhangyue. If I decide on the cron it will be the AA.

May 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.697 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hey Joe, eagerly awaiting your Noct/pre-Lux shootout! Would also be interested in Canon 50/1.4 LTM vs. pre-ASPH as well.

BTW, when I used Andrews's Noct f/1 back a few months ago, it was definitely glowy at near distances, especially vs. the Lux ASPH (which also softens a touch wide open at nearer distances) but I was surprised at how useable it was centrally at infinity.

May 24, 2013 at 05:43 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

This thread is sick

Ron, I haven't got the Canon 50 yet. My trip up North is postponed. Too much work here.

Michael, I don't have too many 50s, Ron and you probably top the list. I only have six at the moment

Nocti 50/1.0
50/1.4 pre-ASPH (2 copies, I know I am sick but will let one go soon)
50/2 Cron V5
CV 50/1.1
Nikkor SC 5cm f/1.4
ZM50P (on the way )

------
Canon 50 1.4 LTM - someone is holding one for me but its in Toronto
I'm really tempted to get a 50Cron Rigid - Michael and Ashwin's fault

and sincd I have those above, I'm also tempted to rent a 50Lux ASPH to compare with the other fast 50s.

I'm definitely staying away from the 50APO and 0.95. Lack of fund and don't want my wife to kick me out of the house.

May 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Very sexy! Look at that 3D from the Nikkor

The Nikkor at f/1.4 is sharper than my Nocti f/1.0 at f/1.0

May 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.697 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
BTW, when I used Andrews's Noct f/1 back a few months ago, it was definitely glowy at near distances, especially vs. the Lux ASPH (which also softens a touch wide open at nearer distances) but I was surprised at how useable it was centrally at infinity.

I agree, the f/1.0 performs really well at further distances and I was surprised when I looked at my first batch of pics. The 50Lux pre-ASPH seems opposite, good at closer distances and supposingly weak further out unless stopped down?

----
Nocti f/1.0 wide open. This lens is made for the night owl, Batman would love it

May 24, 2013 at 06:08 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.697 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice shot, Joe.

May 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.697 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I agree. Joe is really, really sick.... Mind you, I have been on the verge of getting sick for quite a while! Joe - check this out, great seller too.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1211336/0#11558203

May 24, 2013 at 06:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.697 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I bought my 50/1.5 Summarit from him...

I'm still of the thinking that ultimately, it's the 50AA for everything that requires great sharpness plus other 50s for specific w/o character. I'm already kind of doing this with the 21s... the Lux for speed and subject/background separation and the SEM for 'perfection.' Yes, I actually walk around most times with both. But there is so much more variety of 50s, it would be easy to bring along several just for each's look.

If you're willing to spend the $$$ on the 0.95 Nocti, then for the same money you could get the 50 AA and a bunch of vintage 50s to give you much greater variety of rendering options:

50AA
50 Lux pre-ASPH
Cron Rigid
Canon 50/1.4
Nikkor 5cm/1.4

Joe, that's interesting about the pre-ASPH, but also probably how I would use it mostly - portraits, etc. For far distances the Lux ASPH is great, though almost certainly topped by the AA.

May 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password