Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              693      
       695              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.694 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

This thread is sick. Could you guys please put up a duff shot once in a while. Please?

May 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.694 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Yep. Not bad for a bunch of rich dentists, eh?

May 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.694 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Joe, if you don't like the CV35/1.4's nervous bokeh, you might not like the 40 either... but that's what I like about the 40. BTW, I think every family I know with young boys is seriously invested in Thomas the Train toys - I'm sure they make a nice profit!

I need to test the 5cm f/1.4 Nikkor more. I got it a while ago and have used it sporadically, mostly wide open. I got a bit of a surprise (or reminder) of just how much its character changes stopped down to f/2 when the sun came out and f/1.4 was blowing out the highlights. It's a split personality lens.

Here's f/1.4 vs. f/2 and also a crop showing the contrast change. The glow disappears and there's a substantial gain in global macro contrast - a very bold look that reminds me of the Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5. Not super sharpness, but high contrast implying coarse sharpness.

FWIW, processing parameters for each were identical except for exposure adjustment, for which I tried to match highlight density and let the mid tones and shadows shift accordingly.

May 17, 2013 at 03:00 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.694 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, interesting character with the Nikkor 50. Nice and now you stirred my interest in this lens! Thanks for sharing. As for those wooden train sets, I agree, they do have a good second hand value. How was the weight & balance of the Canon 50 1.4 compared to the Nikkor on the M9?

----
One from my archives. 50CronV3. Not really "vintage" and I guess still relatively "young" at 40+ years for a M mount lens?

May 17, 2013 at 04:17 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.694 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Wow - what a huge difference between the two! This pretty well mirrors my experience with this lens as well. Here are a few from camping last weekend. Taken with NEX-5N (exuse me for the non-Leica body) and the Nikkor 5.0 f/1.4 ltm WO. I really enjoy using this lens and it works fairly well on APS-C as well.

May 17, 2013 at 04:20 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.694 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

wow, really nice Gary! The character shows even on an APS-C sensor. Love the rendering of this lens, especially on #2.

May 17, 2013 at 04:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.694 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

What I find amazing among Leica M users is that we have too much quality in our lenses, so we also look for "inferior" glass with "character"

May 17, 2013 at 05:14 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.694 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward,

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

even the sharpness freaks amongst us (there is probably no worse offender than myself) like a little imperfection from time to time.

May 17, 2013 at 05:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.694 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

redisburning wrote:
Edward,

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

even the sharpness freaks amongst us (there is probably no worse offender than myself) like a little imperfection from time to time.

Spoken like a true wise man, red!

May 17, 2013 at 05:29 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.694 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Gary, those look great! #3 is what I really like about the Nikkor's background rendering.
Joe - The Canon is more modern looking in its design and is a uniform cylindrical size that is a touch on the fat side for an M/LTM 50mm lens. The Nikkor appears to be made as slim as possible. That said, I think the focusing ring on the Canon is easier to grip/use. One benefit of the Nikkor is that it will focus considerably closer than 1m, though not RF coupled, so is an added bonus for use on a CSC or M240 with live view.

BTW, I kind of wish the Huffster wouldn't publish vintage lens reviews. It probably inflates prices unnecessarily. (probably also these threads)

May 17, 2013 at 05:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.694 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, thanks for the info. I agree, too much publicity on these vintage lenses is not good for some of us, but I guess those af RFF have been enjoying these lenses for a long time. Probably the popularity of the M9 and CSCs made these lenses popular again?

Edward, I agree, you need to experience shooting with "character" glass on the Leica M in order to fully appreciate the other sharper lenses

May 17, 2013 at 05:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.694 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Edward, I agree, you need to experience shooting with "character" glass on the Leica M in order to fully appreciate the other sharper lenses

Hehe, I wish, but I'm still in my pixel peeping stage. Hopefully when I grow up from this stage, I will be able to appreciate the nuances in the drawing of vintage lenses.

May 17, 2013 at 09:49 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.694 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, out of three lens. I slightly prefer the rendering of Canon in this case. Bokeh looks smoother and color is also seems more pop and cooler. However, Nikon and Leica could be the special lens for rendering. There is no PP can recreate lens character.

Gary, #3 looks nice.

Edward, very funny but how true.

Since last time I replied the Robert about 75mm/90mm selection, I personally start look for long lens again, especially 75cron. And found out there are even more focus problem reported for that lens, and the lens is the longest focal length has the FLE in Leica line. This reenforce my wild guess about why there is so many reported problem with 50lux ASPH. How come it is behave weird like front focus in MFD, slightly back focus at infinity, and back focus at mid-distance etc...

I always wonder why my two old cron seems so robust and consistent and 50lux need adjust periodically. Once the lens internal elements move together or in opposite direction, the requirement of accuracy is very high. and the longer the focal length, the more difficult get it right. (The lens is such a beauty, but now I understand why I always have reservation about my love of it. I wish this is the last time I need adjust it.)

50cron Qingdao f2.8orf4

35cron Qingdao WO

May 17, 2013 at 04:56 PM
joakim
• • •
p.694 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Finally my M9 is back after what seem like forever and together with it I also got my 28 Summicron and 35 Summilux back, both with adjusted focus. Still 4 lenses on the way back from Solms but I am a happy camper anyway right now

3 photos below, the cherry blossom was used for focus testing an the third one is just an "action" photo of our robotic mover who started her season today.

First and last with the 28 and the middle one with the 35.

May 17, 2013 at 05:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.694 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joakim, glad your M9 is back! Both the 28Cron and 35Lux shots are excellent. Looks like they are well calibrated now! Interesting mower! I have seen robotic vacumn cleaners but not a lawn mower! Does it work well?

Michael, excellent shot of your daughter with the 50Cron. BTW, if you want to try another 50mm lens, and maybel with potentially less problems, check out the pre-ASPH version. Has its own character. I succumbed after looking at Andrew, Ron & Gary's pics on this thread.

Kind of like the 50 f/1.0's little brother

May 17, 2013 at 09:38 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.694 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

My friend Chef Paco

May 18, 2013 at 01:45 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.694 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Nice stuff last few pages! Sorry can't comment on each one right now

Phil

Mono and Noct

May 19, 2013 at 04:48 AM
joakim
• • •
p.694 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Joakim, glad your M9 is back! Both the 28Cron and 35Lux shots are excellent. Looks like they are well calibrated now! Interesting mower! I have seen robotic vacumn cleaners but not a lawn mower! Does it work well?

Thanks Joe. Yes the mower works quite well, it took some time to set it up and functioning as we wanted but now that is does it is great to have this little machine that quietly does your work for you

May 19, 2013 at 08:52 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.694 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joakim - congrats on getting back your camera - hopefully it's all back in order again. Nice colors, especially from the 35! Cool mower. Didn't know those exist.
Very nice portraits Allen!
Phil, love the Nocti rendering in these. My hope would be that the Lux pre-ASPH would be close enough, but now I'm not so sure. I have a feeling we might soon see some comparisons, Joe?
Joe, looks very good at close range. I wonder if it might be better than the ASPH, which gets a bit soft and lower contrast at MFD?

Had a chance to give the Canon 50/1.4 LTM more of a workout yesterday - all wide open:

I'm liking it... not as distinctive background rendering as the Nikkor, but more so than the 50 Lux ASPH. It's decently sharp wide open at pretty much all distances, best centrally, falling off towards the edges a bit.
The focus throw is also really long for such a relatively small lens, which is good and bad, I guess, depending on how fast you need to rack the focus.

May 19, 2013 at 09:16 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.694 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Allen, nice set.
Phil, the first one is interesting. Where is this place? Love the Nocti 1.0!
Joakim, thanks for the info. I briefly looked at Amazon.com and they cost as much as a Leica lens here in the USA
Wow, Ron, beautiful!! You sure know how to empty my wallet What a marvelous lens considering its age. I guess Canon really know their 50mm's? The fall off on #5 and the fence shot looks to have a Leica rendering. Great set, now I understand why it is known as the Japanese Summilux. By the way, did you use a hood when you tried the lens?

-----
Back to Dr. Mandler's German version, at f/1.4. #2 and 3 close or at 0.7 MFD.

I'm surprised at the sharpness up close, at least in the center of the frame. I also like the split personality a lot on the next two shots

Really like the background rendering, can be smooth like the 50 ASPH or 75Lux at times (though not often) and painterly most of the time which I like (at the moment). I read somewhere that the optics and performance is similar to the 50CronV3 past f/2, i.e. contrasty but sacrificing some resolution than the previous 50Cron Rigid. I prefer the ergonomics on this pre-ASPH over the ASPH version - I didn't like the focus tab on the 50 Lux ASPH and the pre-ASPH is also lighter.

One more, stopped down @f/2.8

May 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password