Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              692      
       694              941       942       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.693 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great set Allen (and the previous pages too)! I'm really drawn to the simplicity of #2.
Yes, this thread has been moving along - very nice work over the last few pages Edward, Joe, Michael, Phil, Doug.
Wow, Ash, you certainly get to some interesting places. Any special challenges/precautions for that location?

Here are a few from a few weeks ago... trying to make a go of an early season bbq and relaxing at the beach along the north shore of Lake Erie. It was a bit cool and windy, so set up in the brush by the beach, but eventually noticed quite a number of ticks crawling around that motivated us to migrate back to the beach.

First with 21 SEM, the rest with 50 Lux ASPH. The third image is a fairly strong crop. In this case, I kinda like the odd shapes created by the aperture, which was between 2.8-4 (I believe the 75/2 also exhibits similar).
I was hoping to get some starburst effects off the specular reflections in the looser water shots (at f/11 IIRC), but either it was a bit too cloudy or it just doesn't happen as easily with the 50 Lux ASPH as I remember it happening with the ZM50/2...

Regarding the 90 Summarit: it's definitely a very good lens. I have no hesitation using it for anything. I'm sure it's outclassed by the 90AA, but IMO the Summarit is a good compromise for the size, aperture and price point. I think the 75/2.5 is optically slightly better (it seems a touch sharper) and my brief time trying the 50/2.5 was very positive. Next I'll have to see if I can compare the 35/2.5 against the ZM35/2.8.

Joe, the135/4 is also a lens I've thought about getting... very nice results with it!

Edited on May 14, 2013 at 05:09 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2013 at 05:04 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.693 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe, thanks for the explanation. If I remember correctly, the Summarit 90 was mostly criticized for bokeh and CA. What is that monster of a lens btw?

Allen, very nice set but no. 4 clearly stands out from the rest.

Edit: missed Ron's post above. Great set, and I do love 3, 4 and 5. Very beautiful. Especially that shallow DOF in 3 is superb.

May 14, 2013 at 05:06 PM
GoranPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.693 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Just back from a trip to England and Iceland. Going through all the photos now. Here are a few I managed to process so far. All taken with M9+ZMC35.

L1012278small by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

L1010090 by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

L1010585 by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

May 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.693 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron interesting equivalent with the water series and really nice Goran.

May 15, 2013 at 01:19 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.693 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

May 15, 2013 at 01:19 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.693 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Ron. Looks like a nice day out at the Lake except for the bugs? Excellent set and nice geometrical compositions with the waves. Like the starburst effects on #3, almost like a macro shot. I'll post some color shots with the 135 Elmar when my M240 returns. Monochrom is probably not the best camera to test lenses as every lens normally turns out better than expected

Allen, another excellent set!

edwardkaraa wrote:
What is that monster of a lens btw?

1960s Leitz 135 Elmar f/4 M mount. According to MTF charts, its a sharp lens even by today's standards, although micro contrast lags the newer APO or ASPH lenses. The focus ring turns almost 360 degrees, so not recommended for moving subjects

-----
On the subject of 90mm lenses, can't go wrong with the 90 APO. Here is one from my Dubai archives. I posted a B&W version last year but I think the color version works better.

May 15, 2013 at 02:25 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.693 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

That's a real beauty Joe

One more from today

May 15, 2013 at 02:29 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.693 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Allen, love the last one above, and the set is great too!
Joe - the light has a great quality.
Edward - CA is about the only fault of the 90 Summarit, but does clean up easily.
Goran, looks great and looking forward to seeing more!

More from the beach... an uprooted tree at various focal lengths:

50 Lux ASPH:

21 SEM

28 Cron:

May 15, 2013 at 05:07 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.693 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Goran, I like #2 and feel #1 is good candidate for BW.
Ron, Nice sets. I remember that 50lux Bokeh highlight at f2.8. I even remember I said it doesn't bother me the first time you mention that to me. now I agree I prefer round one general speaking. But in this case they looks beautiful.
Ron I seems remember You mentioned 28cron is not as good as other modern Leica (in sharpness?) you have, can you specify a little, as i plan to get one myself.
Allen, I especially like #2&3.
Joe, Nice showcase of what 90AA can do

35cron WO
Shanghai

50cron Rigid
Wuzhen

My son at Wuzhen

May 15, 2013 at 05:20 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.693 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Allen, Ron, Michael.

Allen, nice abstract shot.
Ron, excellent tree shots. So much details in them!
Michael, very nice shots with the 50Rigid and 35CronV1. Looking forward to more Shanghai pics!

As for 28Cron being unsharp? I love mine and its sharp enough for me.

-------
Actually, with the Monochrom, I'm trying out lenses which are not so sharp and contrasty, for instance the much maligned CV 35 1.4 single coated version. Initial shots wide open.

I was surprised when I initially opened the package. I though Cameraquest had mistakenly packed a Skopar 35 2.5 in the box because this lens is almost as compact as the Skopar.

May 15, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GoranPhoto
• •
p.693 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Goran, I like #2 and feel #1 is good candidate for BW.
Ron, Nice sets. I remember that 50lux Bokeh highlight at f2.8. I even remember I said it doesn't bother me the first time you mention that to me. now I agree I prefer round one general speaking. But in this case they looks beautiful.
Ron I seems remember You mentioned 28cron is not as good as other modern Leica (in sharpness?) you have, can you specify a little, as i plan to get one myself.
Allen, I especially like #2&3.
Joe, Nice showcase of what 90AA can do
...Show more

Thanks zhangyue. I actually did that one in BW as well! I can't decide which version I like better though.

May 15, 2013 at 07:37 PM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.693 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A couple more from the recent trip. M9+ZMC35.

L1011132 by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

L1011362bw by GoranPhoto, on Flickr

May 16, 2013 at 04:13 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.693 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Goran, fantastic color set. No. 1 and 2 are just exquisite. The 1st b/w shot is also otherworldly.

Allen, very strong set but 2 and 3 are my favorites.

Joe, Dubai shot is ethereal. Nice shots with the 35/1.4, it has a classic look that lends itself to b/w.

Ron, love the tree set, especially 3 and 4.

Zhangyue, very nice color and PP. No. 2 has something special, looks like an old nostalgic photograph.

May 16, 2013 at 05:37 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.693 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Goran, those are both beautiful!
Joe, wow, looks great. There must be something going on with the MM and 'vintage' lenses.... You should also try the 40/1.4. It has some serious technical faults, like massive field curvature, and I think focus shift, but I still thing it's great. I love its somewhat busy background rendering, and I see from your 35/1.4 shots above that it too is a bit busy.
Michael, great feeling from those, particularly the one of your son. As for the 28 Cron - no way do I think it's subpar to Leica's other current offerings. Rather, I think it's kind of an oddball in the lineup in terms of rendering characteristics that, at least to me, doesn't really match any other Leica M glass I've used. I think it's primarily the really rich colors, higher contrast and vignetting that never seems to go away, even stopped down a fair ways. Over the past week I used it a lot for a number of event jobs and was repeatedly impressed by how sharp it was centrally wide open. And it's pretty well behaved as things move off center too. No really weird sharpness dips - just a nice gradual drop towards the edges (wide open), with I think a hint of field curvature. If I have a complaint, it's the green corner color shift I often see in both bottom corners when photographing anything fairly netural. It also has a more magenta WB tint compared to my other Leica glass. The 90 Summarit is maybe the closest in this regard, whereas the 21 SEM, 21 Lux and 50 Lux ASPH all seem about the same.

I agree that I like the 'ninja star' effect with the 50 Lux in the heavily cropped image I posted above...

Some more 'dead wood' along the lake:

50 Lux ASPH:

May 16, 2013 at 07:25 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.693 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, Joe, Ron, thanks for comments and feedback about 28cron. That is a great info, I will hunt for 28cron from now on given now it is buyer market

Ron, love the cross frame sharpness of above 50lux shots. what aperture you think you can get decent level sharpness on those FC dip zone? I did some comparison myself and find my 50cron Rigid can outperform 50lux at those zone at f5.6.

Goran, I really like the composition and mood of 2nd one. excellent!

Joe, Phil, I forget answer about 35cron. The goggled version indeed cheaper, however I myself prefer it bringing up 50mm frame line as aid of compose out side of frame. It add nostalgia feeling to modern M. I would snap one if price right. As for performance, as mentioned several time in this thread, I am very satisfied with its slow down performance. at f5.6, it is very sharp only extreme corner is slightly behind and until f8 it is reach decent level. At f2, it is quite sharp and sharp zone extended most of frame with smooth decay. From the MTF, It is still the best slow down performance 35cron, even comparable to ASPH. Better all the version behind it. Again, I want bring out KR, as he is the only one have decent/informative review for this lens and spot on. and the information is free. He obviously know what he is talking about. Can't understand harsh forum comments about him. Side topic.

However, I am just passing the info and personal experience as I have found lens choice is very personal and only you know how would you like it

35cron WO

90 Elmarit

May 16, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.693 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Nice Ron!

Some old wood from me to:

35 cron ASPH

And some living wood:

50 cron

50 cron

50 cron

And luckly some buildings

28 cron

28 cron

Happy shooting,

May 16, 2013 at 05:21 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.693 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great work Robert!

I was able to recently borrow the Canon 50/1.4 LTM and below is a quick & dirty hand held comparison of it at near minimum focusing distance (1m) vs. the Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 and the 5cm f/1.5 Summarit. Images are presented in that order (Canon, Nikon, Leitz) and shot on the M9.

For the first group, the exact same LR processing settings were used for all three, for which I selected the Nikkor as the 'middle ground,' including a very slight curve tweak.

and this is the Summarit with contrast, curves, clarity and slight WB adjustment to get it looking a bit more like the other two:

As you'll note, the Canon has considerably cooler WB.
For these below, I've adjust the WB to better match all three. Again, the Summarit is presented with an 'as shot' version, and one that has been tweaked to be closer to the other two:

I haven't had a lot of time to compare the lenses more closely, but offhand, the Canon seems to be the most 'normal' of the three, being fairly well corrected even from wide open at near and far distances. While it's not a 50 Lux ASPH, it's pretty good wide open, with a nice amount of imperfections to add some character, but not super glowy like the Nikkor (which really surprisingly snaps up in contrast and loses much of the glow at f/2). My Summarit is always pretty low in contrast, but the color quality is still great.

In some respects the Canon doesn't seem 'weird' enough to be an oddball vintage lens, but I guess it depends on what you want. It should be great on the MM though and still a solid performer in color.

May 16, 2013 at 07:49 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.693 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments!

Goran, very nice B&W of the horses!

Ron, lots of texture to those wood and pebbles. and wow! nice vintage test! Thanks for sharing! The Canon 50 1.4 LTM lives up to its reputation. I prefer the gentler rendering on this over the Nikon. Colors of the Summarit look good but very low in contrast.

Michael, another excellent set. 90 Elmarit looks smooth and colors are really nice . Thanks for the info on the 35CronV1. I might pick up the googled version to try out. I agree, the only real way to find out is to try out those lenses myself.

Robert, 2nd shot with the 35Cron is excellent.

rscheffler wrote:
There must be something going on with the MM and 'vintage' lenses.... You should also try the 40/1.4. It has some serious technical faults, like massive field curvature, and I think focus shift, but I still thing it's great. I love its somewhat busy background rendering, and I see from your 35/1.4 shots above that it too is a bit busy.

I think with the Monochrom, you actually see more of the character of each of these vintage lenses without being hampered by the bayer array filter on the sensor or color aberrations of the lenses? I'm taking a more conservative route with these vintage lenses, probably trying out some of the newer CV lenses but with the older optical design, this way I can hopefully avoid too many issues of these older lenses with haze, fungus, etc. But at the same time, its nice to try out some of these 40-50 year old lenses and feel nostalgic I'll keep an eye out for the 40/1.4 thanks.

With the CV 35/ 1.4, I wanted to get a sense of a lens that would hopefully have a look similar to the 35Lux pre-ASPH wide open and also one I was hoping to pair with the CV 50 1.1. The CV35 1.4 is not sharp wide open but seems usable. I had to add sharpening in post to make them look decent but the worse part is probably caffeinated bokeh on many shots.

A few more with the CV 35/1.4 SC @ f/1.4

May 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.693 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comparison Ron! I truly love the rendering and unique character of these older lenses. I find each one can certain strengths depending on the subject and shooting conditions. I *think* I have a preference for the more edgy, defined bokeh on the Nikkor compared to the other two. You can really see it in the upper left green foliage of the second picture. On the other hand, the Canon seems to have a more "neutral" output as far as vintage lenses are concerned. In other words, I like them both! The colors of the Summarit look nice as well. It would also be neat to see a B&W image with these lenses... This just goes to confirm my opinion that one cannot have too many 50s!

May 16, 2013 at 08:53 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.693 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ill take the Nikkor

Ive seen a handful of pictures in my life that really, really spoke to me in terms of lens rendering alone; the Nikkor owns one of those.

from what Ive read, which confirms what Ive seen, Canon has tended to have a leg up on Nikon in terms of sharpness historically. this is at least true as far as some important historical 50mm lenses go; rf 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 55/1.2, etc. still, the RF Nikkors were distinctly different in style from what Canon was doing and even what they did later with the F series, and their RF lenses, the very storied 50/1.4 included, are top tier lenses in a world with many good lenses but few great ones.

May 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password