FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              663      
       665              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.664 #1 · p.664 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great work in here! Anyone in Connecticut willing to let me try their Leica?? I want to find out if I'm wasting my energy lusting after one!

Jun 06, 2013 at 05:44 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.664 #2 · p.664 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

So finally received the Sonnar after I had to hire a clearing agent. Unfortunately I received it in the evening, but here are a few test shots to check the focus calibration. I'm glad to find out that focus is perfect at infinity and up close. At infinity, it is almost as sharp WO as stopped down, but suffers from purple fringing in the highlights, which is completely gone by f/4. It also has a tendency to flare, that was not helped by the UV filter that I had on.

All shots at f/2 and f/4, with default ACR settings, except WB adjusted manually.

M9 + Zeiss 85 Sonnar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:57 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.664 #3 · p.664 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Congratulations on the 85 Sonnar Edward, I'm a little bit jealous I'm looking forward to more photos with this lens from you.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:10 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.664 #4 · p.664 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ryan, am liking your M240 colors, pp looks really nice and contrasty. 21Lux and you son looking good on the M240.
Phil, nice one with the ZM35/2! How do you like this lens compared to the FLE?
Joan, nice catch with the squirrel on the X2.
Allen, nice one!
Edward, congrats once again on a stellar lens!! It looks really sharp at infinity! I recall the original Contax Sonnar 85/2 (pre-war/wartime) were optimized for up close up performance, did Zeiss update the design on the ZM version did they only add new coating similar to the ZM 50 1/5?

-----
A few from yesterday with Nikkor SC 5cm 1.4

#4 and 5 were shot cloes to 16" (0.46m) MFD with EVF.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:39 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.664 #5 · p.664 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice Allen, that has to be one of my favs frome you ever

Very nice Edward, your work is always very nice to view, esp with the the zeiss's, makes me want to aquire a few of them

Thanks Joe, love what you can do with the Nikkor SC 5cm 1.4, that rendering is what I am after, I bet it would be awesome with your MM! The zeiss biogon is the draw I prefer esp. close to WO, plus it creates more of a classic feel sooc unlike the FLE which is awesome in it's own right, but I prefer the classic rendering, maybe it's time to re-shuffle my lens choices again

Phil

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:00 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.664 #6 · p.664 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M9 + 25mm Biogon

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:59 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.664 #7 · p.664 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi guys, long time no chat.. Lurked around a few times over the past couple of months, and seen some really good shots, so thumbs up to everybody!

I've been really busy, but the main reason I haven't posted is because I sold off my M9p in anticipation of getting an M240. Bought a X-E1 to tie me over till then, and added a few more Leica lenses which I've been saving for the M240 ... I have a really long story that really makes me question both Leica Singapore and BHphoto USA. I'm really quite annoyed with them all.. If you care to read you can, but I warn you, it's kinda a long rant

I'm still able to borrow the 50APO as mentioned to a few of you earlier (and other stuff), but again I'm angry at Leica right now for the way they're treating their Singapore customer base and I haven't had the mood to borrow anything from them because it just reminds me of my "first world" problems.

Long story for anyone who cares to read. My fiance wanted to surprise me with a M240 for our wedding on July 13th, and she placed a long distance pre-order call into BHphoto early Feb (apparently she waited on announcements, who knew she was so invested). On the phone they guaranteed she's get a camera in time for the wedding, and they took down her details and put her on their waiting list. No word from BHphoto for a couple of months, until April when they sent her a backorder email. She then called them again, and the sales guy again said that they guarantee her a camera by the wedding, but in order for her to be on the list (that she was suppose to be on already), since she's overseas, she needs to pre-pay for the camera. So he told her he would send her all the necessary documents etc. And after a couple of weeks of back and forth she finally settled with them. Then she received a mail from customer service telling her that the camera couldn't be sent out until she verifies the USA address (since she's using a SG credit card, but sending it to a USA address).. Anyway, it took another few weeks to get that all sorted.

In the meantime, I not knowing she's doing all this (around March/April) am at every Leica store putting my name on the list for an M240.. Finally a shop calls me up and tells me they have a camera in stock. I go down to the store happily to buy my overpriced camera (about $2k more here then in the USA) and when I get there the sales associate tells me in order to buy the camera I need to buy either a 50 APO or a 50 Noctilux lens.. Really annoyed at this point, I ask them the price of the 50 APO (as I know the noct. is about $4k overpriced), they respond telling me that it's XX price (about $2k overpriced) but they tell me that I have to prepay for it and wait till it arrives, and estimated time is about 3-6 months. So I have to buy it, but they don't have it in stock?!! At this point, really annoyed, I tell them forget it. BTW I get another call from another Leica store and when I ask them if I can just buy the camera only, they feed me the same line about needing to buy it with lenses.. This shop however tells me I can buy it with either of the 50mm lenses or I can buy it with 3 other Leica lenses (summarits not included in the "promotion" as they call it)... Anyway, after the first incident my fiance hears all about my problems with Leica Singapore and confesses that she's having problems of her own.. She tells me about wanting to buy me the camera, and that BH is asking her for verification from our USA address.

At this point, I give up on Leica Singapore, and I start enquiring on her behalf as to where on the list she is... I email one of the bhphoto associates I've worked with in the past, and he informs me that not only was she not on the list in FEB. when she called in, and again not put on the list in April when she called in, and not put on the list when she finally orders on the web, but only put on the list in mid-May when the verification was completed... So basically, no chance in hell the camera will come before the wedding..

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.. I'm just annoyed at all of this. And I really wish I didn't sell off the M9P because now I'm clearly not going to have a M camera for my own wedding That and I really think Leica Singapore is making a real dick move by trying to force people to buy overpriced lenses with there already overpriced M240

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:00 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.664 #8 · p.664 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you very much Joakim, Joe, Phil.

The Sonnar ZM AFAIK is a modern design with floating elements but I wouldn't be surprised to know that it is related somehow to the old Contarex Sonnar. By the way, the focusing ring is the smoothest I have ever used on any MF lens, including Leica M, and the focus throw is reaaaaaally long. First I thought the lens is faulty but focusing is like using fine tuning knob on an old analog radio.

By the way, sorry for not commenting on the images recently. Quite busy at work and also stressed from my daily arguments with DHL

Greart shots from everyone, but I am really impressed with the Nikkor's shots from Joe, and that light and color are absolutely amazing in Ryan's photo.
Phil, that might look like a banal shot, but this wheel is jumping out of the screen, and the b/w conversion is perfect.
Tag, Allen, very nice b/w work!

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:09 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.664 #9 · p.664 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, Leica Singapore has nothing to do with Leica. They are part of a large group that controls Leica and other brands distribution in Southeast Asia. FYI, the M240 is priced at 9000$ in Thailand (part of the same group). I would strongly recommend to order from Europe as this is where you will get the best pricing (after you calculate the VAT off).

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:14 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.664 #10 · p.664 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys!

Ryan, am liking your M240 colors, pp looks really nice and contrasty. 21Lux and you son looking good on the M240.
Phil, nice one with the ZM35/2! How do you like this lens compared to the FLE?
Joan, nice catch with the squirrel on the X2.
Allen, nice one!
Edward, congrats once again on a stellar lens!! It looks really sharp at infinity! I recall the original Contax Sonnar 85/2 (pre-war/wartime) were optimized for up close up performance, did Zeiss update the design on the ZM version did they only add new coating similar to the ZM 50 1/5?

-----
A
...Show more

Thanks Joe and I love this one....

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.664 #11 · p.664 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys.

28/2 Voigtlander is surprisingly good in my opinion. Apparently has some focus shift when stopped down, but I don't think I've ever stopped it down.

Joe, agreed that those last 2 images are great, lighting is superb.

2 with the M240 + 21 Lux:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/8956210614_184929a92d_o.jpg
L1001257 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Very nice Ryan...

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:35 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.664 #12 · p.664 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice skylines Edward.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:36 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.664 #13 · p.664 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Phil I like the tire shot.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:37 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.664 #14 · p.664 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Adam, Leica Singapore has nothing to do with Leica. They are part of a large group that controls Leica and other brands distribution in Southeast Asia. FYI, the M240 is priced at 9000$ in Thailand (part of the same group). I would strongly recommend to order from Europe as this is where you will get the best pricing (after you calculate the VAT off).

Yes Edward, roughly around the same
But Schmidt marketing no longer runs Leica in Singapore.. It's run by Leica now isn't it?
Either way, really pissed about the representation here in Singapore.. Nasty way of doing business in my honest opinion.

Anyway, I'll get one eventually, n I'll start posting... In the meantime I might go crazy and buy a M9p or MM or something unnecessary.

Jun 06, 2013 at 05:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.664 #15 · p.664 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, I remember reading somewhere about the forced packaging with lens or lenses. It seems they're really trying to cater to the affluent collector/brand conscious buyer and brush-off photographers as irrelevant to their plans.

IMO, getting an M240 is going to be difficult. But if it was me, the last place I would try is one of the mega-shops like B&H. You're just going to be a number on a very, very long list. You *might* have better luck with a Leica-centric dealer. Someone like Ken Hansen, Dale photo, etc.. I've never dealt with Ken Hansen, but he has a great rep and with him, you'd be pleading your case to the guy who runs the show - who might take pity and move you up the list - not some peon answering the phone who couldn't care less.

I would highly recommend the Leica Store in Munich too, in part because they have a very functional website (in English too) with stock indication, but also because they offer good customer service. One time I was there I noticed a large package awaiting delivery to China... But they did tell me that all high-value international orders require additional EU export clearance paperwork that adds to the price (maybe around 100 Euro) on top of ~200-300 Euro courier costs. I doubt you'll have much luck getting an M240 from them, but if you're in the market for lenses, it could be a workable solution. Just don't have them ship via DHL, if Edward's experience is any indication.

In the meantime, maybe an ME to hold you over?

Jun 06, 2013 at 05:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.664 #16 · p.664 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Yes Edward, roughly around the same
But Schmidt marketing no longer runs Leica in Singapore.. It's run by Leica now isn't it?
Either way, really pissed about the representation here in Singapore.. Nasty way of doing business in my honest opinion.

Anyway, I'll get one eventually, n I'll start posting... In the meantime I might go crazy and buy a M9p or MM or something unnecessary.

Leica Thailand is run by DKSH group, but when I asked them why the crazy prices, they said it's pricing from the mother company in Singapore. Even the ME is selling for almost 7,000$. To be honest, I can order any Leica items from Leica Shop in Austria or SH in Germany, and even after shipping, customs clearance and taxes, I am still 1000$ to 2000$ ahead of local prices.

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.664 #17 · p.664 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward, Congratulation!. Those shots looks very impressive. Flare problem you mentioned is surprising. As I feel general Zeiss is pretty good on that!

Adam, I feel your pain. On the other end, it indicates Leica may facing problem on selling their Lens, that market (multi1000$ lens) is easily get saturated. I would be perfect happy with full set of Zm or VC if I have to. On the other hand, if you are in their preorder list, they should fulfill the list. If there is no list, i can't blame them to find a bundle deal out of it as they won't call you try to selling something can be easily sold in a min.

Either way, I will not shop/support such a dealer. It is a short sight way to do business which is not rare in Asia (Money talk)

Great shots guys. Sorry I didn't comment individually.

50lux

f2

50 rigid

Jun 06, 2013 at 09:00 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.664 #18 · p.664 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Michael, I like the 50 Lux photo.

Adam, too bad about your experience with the Singapore store. I hope things will work out for you soon.

I read on a swedish forum recently that there had been only 8 M delivered to Sweden and Denmark together and that they had a more than 220 pre-orders (for black ones) so I guess this is not the right part of the world if you're looking to get a M quickly . An interesting tidbit is that when I checked the web-site of my Leica dealer he now has a more Leica lenses in stock than I ever seen since I got my M9 some 3 years ago.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:12 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.664 #19 · p.664 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Speaking of Leica, here is a photo with the ZM 25 Biogon

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:13 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.664 #20 · p.664 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And here's another